MAGS March “Journey” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 03/03/2021 12:38:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Food Wars by Slasher
2 (20%)
I Rented a Boat by eri0o
5 (50%)
Huggles Goes on a Trip by fernewelten
1 (10%)
Return Journey by GOC Games
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Fri 23/04/2021 05:28:26

Stupot

The winner of MAGS March is...
I Rented a Boat by Eri0o
Very well done.

Food Wars
by Slasher
I Rented a Boat
by eri0o
Huggles Goes on a Trip
by fernewelten

Win | Lin
Return Journey
by GOC GAMES

Journey
Set by Racoon and Slasher

One day you find yourself on the road, if for a small trip or an epic adventure is your choice. It is not about the Destination, it is about the Journey.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Blondbraid

I've had an idea for some time now, though it's mostly about a bit of a pit stop rather than a full journey, would it still fall under the theme?

Stupot

Quote from: Blondbraid on Wed 03/03/2021 17:16:40
I've had an idea for some time now, though it's mostly about a bit of a pit stop rather than a full journey, would it still fall under the theme?

I’m sure you can make it fit. Technically we’re all constantly on a journey of some sort at any given moment.

Slasher

Well,

Suppose there is a kind of real major problem... Maybe all your food has been stolen and all the creatures are dying from starvation... Maybe the thieves are Locusts who are going from village to village demanding food with menaces. With very little food left and creatures dying you decide to confront the Locusts and bring your food home... Of course the journey is far and you are getting weaker by the minute...

This is an idea I have brewing...

eri0o

This is a great theme and I think I have an idea I can quickly do something playable by Saturday - and then spent all the rest of time fixing my broken language and idnk, polishing or something...

If anyone would like to test, write here and I will direct link Saturday or Sunday when I get something minimal working.

heltenjon

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 05/03/2021 12:03:22
If anyone would like to test, write here and I will direct link Saturday or Sunday when I get something minimal working.

Sure, I'm up for testing.  (nod)

eri0o

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 05/03/2021 12:14:30Sure, I'm up for testing.  (nod)

I sent you a link through message. Not sure if I can finish on time but I will try to plan to!

Also, thanks Racoon and Slasher for the great theme!

Blondbraid

I've started, though the background is currently a placeholder:

As you see it will be about exploring an island whilst on a journey across the sea.

Slasher

Welcome back in the game Blondbraid..... Looks good  (nod)

Blondbraid

KyriakosCH

Nice theme...

As usual, I will possibly try, but can't make any promise... :)
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

eri0o

My game has an island too, so I wonder if more games with islands will happen. :-D

Mandle

Slasher, I miss your smiley face avatar.

DBoyWheeler

An entry already.

Hopefully with this theme of Journey, they'll follow the guidelines... "Faithfully".

(Right, there's the corner, going over there now.)

eri0o

Damn Locusts! I was eagerly waiting if you were going to open the map. I like how it unrolls and rolls back! Pretty cool!

Racoon

I am really excited for the games that evolve from this theme. I will definitly play& rate!

eri0o

First scene. My game is not going to look pretty, and it's going to be super short, but hopefully it is interesting.

Edit: Also a dark place...

Edit2: Finished the Title Screen and the game Menu:

Slasher

Looking really cool eri0o (nod)

My entry is almost ready...

eri0o

Whoo! I think I will use the time until deadline to try to add a bit more content.

I got water working but it's looking much better in engine itself. Gif kinda killed the different blues...  :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk