MAGS March “Journey” (RESULT)

Started by Stupot, Wed 03/03/2021 12:38:26

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS April?

Food Wars by Slasher
2 (20%)
I Rented a Boat by eri0o
5 (50%)
Huggles Goes on a Trip by fernewelten
1 (10%)
Return Journey by GOC Games
2 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Voting closed: Fri 23/04/2021 05:28:26

heltenjon

Slasher

Food Wars

Locusts have been stealing the food of other creatures who are now starving. Can Hammy Hamster journey and save the day?  This is food wars!

Made with my Slasher Template Version 1.1....

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2523-food-wars

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2523-food-wars

ddavey1983

Hello

Just a quick question on the rules: does all the art need to be done within the month as well or i it just the programming? Can you use backgrounds and sprites you've used before/had laying around?

Thanks

Slasher

All work generally should be done by the deadline...

Usually you can use exiting graphics...

ddavey1983

Thanks! I wasn’t very clear in what I asked, I meant do you have to draw all the graphics within the month but you answered that anyway so thanks again!

I’m down to the wire on this one. Is the deadline 00:00 on 01/04?

Thanks

Cassiebsg

Technically, it's 23:59 GMT 31/03, but nobody will disqualify you if you post it 00:00... 00:30... if gets much later, give a shout out, and I'm sure you' be allowed to.  ;)

After all, this contest is more about incentivization game creation and releasing a game within a certain time limit, than a fierily competition where the winner will win money or some other monetary value stuff...  We're all suppose to be (and stay) friends here.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ddavey1983

That’s great, thanks. It should be done on time. Progressed faster than expected yesterday!

eri0o

I rented a boat

I_rented_a_boat_windows.zip

I_rented_a_boat_linux.tar.gz

Completed Games Thread

AGS Database

A journey sometimes is a short MAGS game and sometimes is a lifetime. This is my entry for this month! I think I will eventually add it to itch.io but for now a direct link to download from Google Drive should suffice. Hope it works!

the game has a known issue that sometimes it fails to restore a save file or restart, I can't figure out why, but if you try again it will eventually work, the saves are not broken!

I also want to thank heltenjon and MorganW for helping me figure out a bunch of things by testing and giving feedback. In the end I overscoped and had to cut a lot but I hope the end result is still cool! I only had time to make the game during late night, so some parts may be hard to see if you are playing during the day...

Blondbraid

I'm sorry to say I won't have a playable entry this MAGS, but my new job has simply taken away too much time and I haven't had the energy to work on it now.

Slasher

Sorry to  hear that Blondbraid but work is work I suppose...

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Wed 31/03/2021 12:22:14
Sorry to  hear that Blondbraid but work is work I suppose...
Yeah, I'm hoping I'll have better luck in a future MAGS.

fernewelten

Hello Folks,

Easter is just around the corner, and so I've got an Easter adventure for you.

I proudly present as MAGS entry:

Huggles goes on a trip

The rabbits Huggles and his Mum are living peacefully in a bunny meadow. But when they try to sell their eggs this year, they run into a severe snag. Huggles needs to rise above himself to save the day ...

• Fight with a strange lock
  • go on a boating trip
  • outwit a guard
and help Huggles help his mother to sell her Easter eggs!

Standard BASS interface (right-click: examine things; left-click: interact with things).
Get the inventory through the top-left "hamburger" button or tapping the "i" key.

Note that the hotspot of the cursor is Huggles' nose. Helpful if you need to target something tiny on-screen.

I haven't made the 'Credits' room yet, but the upshot is that this has been a lone ride â€" story, puzzles, coding, visuals, background music done by me.

I don't have a Linux box, so I've only tested the Windows version.
Download the game here:

Hints and tips thread: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=58995.msg636634455#new

ddavey1983

RETURN JOURNEY - Made by GOC Games for MAGS March 2021

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2529-return-journey/

It is April 1944. The RAF Lancaster bomber 'Return Journey' hurtles through the dark skies over occupied Europe. With the bombs away, the aircraft has turned for home...but they are not out of the woods yet.

You are Sergeant Percy Smith, flight engineer. Trained in mechanics and first aid, you will play a vital role in getting your six crewmates home safely. Time is of the essence. Hestitate too long and men will die.

In school, you fantasised about a one-way journey to Europe. Now you're trying to avoid it with all your skill and endeavour.

Made in 5 days by GOC Games for MAGS March 2021.

eri0o

ddavey1983, I can't find the link to download yours.

fernewelten

Note: I've discovered a problem with my game uploads. If you've already downloaded the files, please download them again to be on the safe side.

Sorry about that.

eri0o

I just noticed I forgot to mention one key in my controls menu :/ is it ok if I add it?

Edit: Fixed!

Stupot

Nice few entries. Good show, everyone. I’ll sort out the voting etc as soon as I can, so you have about 12 or so hours to fix any last bugs and technical issues :-)

fernewelten

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 31/03/2021 06:45:30
I rented a boat

Well, I'm giving up on this. I feel as if I was caught in a walking simulator, but without the nice visuals.

Making out a "lighthouse mountain" â€" or any mountain as far as that goes â€" is simply beyond me. No matter where I  find myself traipsing around the lake thing, it's all some sort of cliff to me, and anything that isn't the lake could be called a "mountain" to me.

I can't manage to keep any sort of orientation, and I can't make out from the visuals where exactly I am. Subjectively I feel like going straight ahead, but seem to be veering sideways in reality .So I find myself "suddenly" being higher up or lower down or near the cave entry or somewhere else without knowing exactly how or why.

I suppose that there actually is some way of scaling some sort of cliff somewhere, but I haven't been able to make that out in an hour or so. Neither have I been able to make out any better way of handling the UI.

Now my eyes have become tired and strained. :~(

Stupot

Four entries this for March. Well done everyone. Time to vote for your favourite using the poll above.

Don't forget to rate and comment on the games in the database, where possible.

Food Wars
by Slasher
I Rented a Boat
by eri0o
Huggles Goes on a Trip
by fernewelten

Win | Lin
Return Journey
by GOC GAMES

@fernewelten - there seems to be a problem with your images. The forum doesn't seem to like it. If you can sort it out and give me a new link, I'll update the table asap.

As always, let me know if I've made any glaring faux pas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk