Fool Around

Started by heltenjon, Sun 07/03/2021 15:39:45

Previous topic - Next topic

heltenjon

EDIT: I completed the game. Would still like to know the answer to the questions below, in case there is more to discover.  :)

I've run out of ideas of what to do next. It would be nice to know where there is an actual puzzle, so here goes:

Is the music generator mentioned in the game's release thread the machine in the desert tower, and does it indeed have no bearing on the game?

Is it important if I leave the music on or if I take the recordings with me? Does it have any impact on the game?

Is it possible to do something about the big yellow ball stuck in a hole in the wall? I suspect
Spoiler
that it is connected to the yellow orb that is a teleport to "Japan".
[close]

In the observatory:
Spoiler
I've put on the VHS. Is there more to do here? The descriptions may or may not indicate that I should look for an I/O device of some kind. The heavy vault door and the anti-grav statue also looks like there is a puzzle there. Unfortunately, the only other object described as "heavy", is
Spoiler
the hamburger in the fridge, and I can't take it. Or can I, somehow?
[close]
[close]

Is the Brandy collectable, or a red herring?

Is there a puzzle to solve in the kitchen, or is it made just for fun?

Is it possible to interact with the ghost hiding behind a tree?

Shadow1000

My assessment of the game is very similar to heltonjon.

I am pretty stuck but I don't know what to ask because unlike most games, I don't really see any puzzles or goals or things to do other than walk around very slowly.

I'll state where I'm at and hopefully people who have progressed can lend a hand:

Spoiler
I got to the tower. This seems to be the extent of the area reachable by boat. There is a puzzle here with an ancient scripture that I am guessing tells you how to push buttons and switches on the panel but I don't see any connection between the scripture and anything on the panel.

My inventory is Apple, oar, tape, record. I haven't found a way to play the tape or record.

The apple takes me to an area where there doesn't seem to be anything to do. There is a VHS player but I haven't encountered a VHS,

There's a big ball blocking a path with a smooth surface with no apparent way to pass.

I don't know if I'm supposed to be able to enter the cabin right after you get out of the boat. I don't know if there's anything to do in the cafe, ghost house (other than spill the brandy and speak to a ghost), grocery store.

[close]

So, any info that I might be missing that will help me progress would be appreciated!

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 07/03/2021 20:42:53
My assessment of the game is very similar to heltonjon.

I am pretty stuck but I don't know what to ask because unlike most games, I don't really see any puzzles or goals or things to do other than walk around very slowly.

I'll state where I'm at and hopefully people who have progressed can lend a hand:

Spoiler
I got to the tower. This seems to be the extent of the area reachable by boat.
Spoiler
There is one more house to the right of the tower.
[close]
There is a puzzle here with an ancient scripture that I am guessing tells you how to push buttons and switches on the panel but I don't see any connection between the scripture and anything on the panel.
Spoiler
I think this machine is just for fun, to make music, and that there is no puzzle. I've asked about it above.
[close]

My inventory is Apple, oar, tape, record. I haven't found a way to play the tape or record.
Spoiler
There is a way to play the tape and record, but I don't think they are necessary for completing the game. I like to think of the hidden music as points, though.  ;)
[close]

I don't know if I'm supposed to be able to enter the cabin right after you get out of the boat.
Spoiler
You can't.
[close]
I don't know if there's anything to do in the cafe
Spoiler
There is, in the cellar. But I don't think it's necessary to complete the game.
[close]
, ghost house (other than spill the brandy and speak to a ghost), grocery store.
Spoiler
You need one object from the fridge.
[close]

[close]

So, any info that I might be missing that will help me progress would be appreciated!

While I think many actions I've done is not strictly necessary to complete the game, there may be some hidden triggers I don't know about.

Shadow1000

Spoiler
If I remember correctly, I already took an item from the fridge but I can't remember what it was. I am assuming that your reference to the cellar of the cafe is where the band is? If so, I was there and got the tape.

It sounds like I've pretty much done everything that's required to complete the game. So can someone tell me how to play the record and tape. I guess there's not much to do at this point. Is there a way to get a "game over" screen, or credits or anything indicating that you're done?

edited to say that I actually forgot about the heavy door, but I see in your post that you don't need to open it. This game seems to have a lot of things to do that in reality can't be done?
[close]

Thanks again!

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Sun 07/03/2021 23:21:12
Spoiler
If I remember correctly, I already took an item from the fridge but I can't remember what it was.
Spoiler
Glowing potato. You need it to get to the next set of locations.
[close]
QuoteI am assuming that your reference to the cellar of the cafe is where the band is? If so, I was there and got the tape.
Spoiler
Yes, that's it.
[close]

QuoteIt sounds like I've pretty much done everything that's required to complete the game.
From what you're saying, I think there is a set of locations you haven't been to yet - "Japan".
QuoteSo can someone tell me how to play the record and tape.
Spoiler
The tape(s) can be played at the market. You would have seen that if you had been there, it's quite straightforward. The records can be played in a room nearby the fountain early on. Have you found all exits from that scene?
[close]
QuoteI guess there's not much to do at this point. Is there a way to get a "game over" screen, or credits or anything indicating that you're done?
Spoiler
Yes, there is!
[close]

Quoteedited to say that I actually forgot about the heavy door, but I see in your post that you don't need to open it. This game seems to have a lot of things to do that in reality can't be done?
I don't know if that can be opened or not. But yes, it's either full of Easter eggs or full of red herrings. Herrings and eggs, anyone?  (laugh)
[close]

MIGGO

Hey! Sorry, I've totally missed this thread. Thanks heltenjon for messaging me.

Concerning the questions on loose ends and red herrings (a massive spoiler alert):

Spoiler

From what I've gathered you've found all there is to the game!

The brandy isn't collectible.

The ghost behind the trees can't be interacted with. It's just spying on people because it's a spooky aristocrat.

The music machine in the tower has no bearing on the game, it's just for fooling around.

The observatory door can't be opened and there's nothing to the statue.

The big golden ball can't be moved.

Playing records doesn't affect progressing the game in anyway. But they can be thought of as points yeah!  ;)

The kitchen is for fun. I was experimenting with scaling in the AGS, it's a cool feature.

Only the glowing potato can be taken from the fridge.

[close]

Once more, thanks for playing!
What is Palace Cheese?
A dodge move in Romanian swordplay.

heltenjon

Quote from: Wavey Games on Mon 15/03/2021 01:09:12
Hey! Sorry, I've totally missed this thread. Thanks heltenjon for messaging me.

Concerning the questions on loose ends and red herrings (a massive spoiler alert):
(snipped)
Once more, thanks for playing!

Thanks for answering! Deliberately or not, you made lots of interesting could-be-puzzles. Maybe in a sequel... ;) Given the dream context, you could reuse rooms in another dream. The effect used in the kitchen was very cool.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk