If On A Winter's Night, Four Travelers

Started by Laura Hunt, Wed 10/03/2021 10:49:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Tampere

Quote from: mkennedy on Thu 11/03/2021 08:20:57
Nice game. Is there only one path for each character or can they do things differently?
The latter â€" at least for dialogue choices â€" and imho adds much to immersion.

Congratulations to everyone in the team: writing and art are superb. If you can stomach the gore, one of the best productions in AGS.

heltenjon

Quote from: Tampere on Thu 11/03/2021 11:37:54
Quote from: mkennedy on Thu 11/03/2021 08:20:57
Nice game. Is there only one path for each character or can they do things differently?
The latter â€" at least for dialogue choices â€" and imho adds much to immersion.

I'd recommend to at least play the first chapter two times. The detail level is so great that if you change the mood of the character, the descriptions change, as well.

heltenjon

Quote from: Dualnames on Wed 10/03/2021 22:46:18
1) Imho the title is horrible, very hard to remember, much harder to abbreviate, imho the title needed to be maybe something else or "Four Travelers".
What, don't you like dual names?  (laugh)

QuoteOverall, I think a solid 9/10 if we're being harsh, 10/10 if we're being fair.
Agreed!

deadsuperhero

Just finished playing it. Absolutely phenomenal - one thing that I really appreciated was how different this looked from other AGS games. The style, form of interaction, and even method of giving messages to the player felt very different from anything I've ever seen before. The visual effects were really well done, too...from the visual transitions of rooms panning around and walls fading to the transition parts in the second act. Very unique!

All of the stories were really sad in different ways, but I think my favorite was The Nameless Ritual. It's so creepy and weird, but I felt so compelled to root for the guy the whole time.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

selmiak

What a delightful game, it just oozes atmosphere. It is really hard to decide for a favourite of the stories, but it is probably The nameless ritual
Spoiler
While wading through the water in the library down there it did send shivers down my spine, really well done. And then the soldiers, I wanted to use the pillow to help the second soldier to rest his head and broken jaw on it, then he just kills him, that shocked me a lot, wtf, noooooo... but it was probably better for him.
[close]

also here is a spoilerfilled longplay
Spoiler

Laura Hunt

Thanks for the lovely comments, everybody :) Apologies for not dropping by earlier, but the launch went... well, saying that it was better than expected would be an understatement, honestly. We got picked up by RockPaperShotgun, AlphaBetaGamer, freegameplanet, reddit, and itch.io's own front page among others, so I really wasn't ready to deal with all this. But now that the wave seems to have subsided a bit, it's back to the cozy, quiet calm of the good ol' AGS forums at last :-D

Thanks again to everybody who's played it so far, everybody who tested it, everybody who encouraged us and everybody who helped me with my scripting issues. This community is amazing.

Next step is getting it on Steam, offering the optional paid DLC "supporters' package", and after that, it's on to a new project! To infinity and beyond!

Slasher

Congratulations on the release... Looks fab.... Will play soon.. (nod)

Shadow1000

I finished playing this release last night at around 1 am.

The summary of my thoughts is that the experience is unlike anything I can compare to. I'll try to break down the different areas:

- Graphics, animation, sound, music, environment: I don't know if I've played an AGS game before where these are all off-the-charts top-notch to the point that this plays a huge role in turning a game into a all-involving experience. Super-realistic animation (I assume there's some element of motion-capture, rotoscoping involved to make it look and feel REAL), combined with that on-an-angle camera scene view, with the use of areas coming to life by lighting the gloomy backgrounds where appropriate - all an A+
- Story, characters and theme: incredible how each scenario pulls you right into a different world and experience.
- Puzzles: there are a few that make the game more interactive, but that's not what this game is about. They are at the difficulty level that is right in that sweet spot between being satisfying to solve, heightening the experience and not being so difficult as to make the game frustrating and a negative experience.

Overall, the only way I can describe this game is MAGIC. This is not a game you play, it's one you live.

Huge kudos to everyone involved!

MIGGO

Congratulations on making this game!

I took a peak while it was in dev and not shortly after I got to play it. The art and animation are beautiful. The story plays like a novel. The gameplay is nice, simple and fluid.
This game is so sophisticated in atmosphere and cultural references.

Thank you for this game!  :)
What is Palace Cheese?
A dodge move in Romanian swordplay.

Haggis

Congratulations - been looking forward to this one since I first laid eyes on that gorgeous pixel art!!! Downloading now

SarahLiz

Just downloaded this morning, didn't even know it was out!  I've been looking forward to this one for some time.  I've played through the first chapter and I'm seeing where this (maybe) is going, and it makes me excited to see it through.  It's more of a story rather than puzzle-solving so far, which is right up my alley.  I've actually played through the 1st storyline twice, which I recommend doing. 

The pixel artwork is beautiful, and from what I've seen so far, the writing is SO good.  That can make or break the entire experience, more than anything else for me.  I know there has been so much praise already for this game that what I'm writing here is practically redundant, but just had to add my comments too.  All the praise (and then some) is well deserved. 

Gotta go finish the other chapters now...GREAT, great game.

Ok, edit: 
Spoiler
Just finished it!  What a trip man, literally and figuratively!  That ending was equally tragic, creepy, and even a bit funny.  I loved EVERY minute of playing, truly.

...Did anyone else besides me get ghost pirate LeChuck vibes from the "Head Demonic Death Manager" train guy?  Lol!   
[close]

If you guys don't continue making other games after this one, it'd truly be tragic.  What incredible talent.  I know you're trying to get the game on Steam, and I'd pay money to play it, even though it's not very long.  Seriously.

~Sarah

LostTrainDude

A very enjoyable, eerie experience!

Spoiler
I especially liked the attention to detail: the *actual* vanishing of Lady Winterbourne throughout the episode being an example.
I also enjoyed how the ending is presented: a grotesque, slight shift in tone that I always enjoy!
[close]

I join the people praising the pixel art and how expressively you used it throughout the game, and I also want to add how nice it is to see another isometric AGS game  :-D

So, in short: Great job! Looking forward to your next projects!
"We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing."

shaun9991

One of the best games I've played, no exaggeration. A perfect marriage of narrative, writing, art, animation, sound and music.

Really looking forward to what Laura & Thomas cook up for the their next game!

<3
Support Cloak and Dagger Games on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/user?u=460039

Laura Hunt

Hey all, just a quick update to let you know that our Steam page is already up and running and you can wishlist the game, if you are so inclined:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1603980/

The release is planned for late September, if everything goes according to plan, and the game will still be free, with no DRM. Of course, there will be achievements, and an optional DLC consisting of a Digital Artbook and the Original Score will be added both for Steam and itch.io, for a fixed price on Steam and pay-what-you-want on itch.

For now, I can't really guarantee that we'll be able to bring the Linux version to Steam too, but we'll do our best. In any case, you already know that wishlists help a lot, so even if you don't plan on downloading it again or you prefer to get the DLC from itch, clicking that wishlist button if you have a Steam account is greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: The Linux version is confirmed! ;-D

Khris

I missed this completely when it came out and just now discovered it.

Just an amazing work of art, and probably the first and only game where slow walking was making the game better ;-D
The attention to detail is mindblowing really, for instance [very minor spoiler ahead] the fact that the cursor only works inside the lit area adds so much to the immersion.
The visual aesthetics are pretty much unparalleled.

I believe I spotted a typo:
Spoiler
In the library, the song was called "Leibeslied" iirc
[close]
I'm also really proud I made it in the credits of this fantastic game, thanks for that!

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Khris on Fri 21/05/2021 22:24:17
I missed this completely when it came out and just now discovered it.

Just an amazing work of art, and probably the first and only game where slow walking was making the game better ;-D
The attention to detail is mindblowing really, for instance [very minor spoiler ahead] the fact that the cursor only works inside the lit area adds so much to the immersion.
The visual aesthetics are pretty much unparalleled.

Thank you! The slow walking speed was definitely a point of contention and some people have even asked for a speed slider, but we firmly believe it is a big part of the atmosphere, so we're standing our ground on this one. Being able to e.g., make Lady Winterbourne just zip from one end of the mansion to another like the ending to a Benny Hill episode would absolutely murder the shit out of the game's mood.

I believe I spotted a typo:
Spoiler
In the library, the song was called "Leibeslied" iirc
[close]

It's not a typo :) The piece is indeed called "Liebesleid" (not "Liebeslied").

I'm also really proud I made it in the credits of this fantastic game, thanks for that!

When I started working on this game, I was most definitely punching above my weight coding-wise. Without you guys' help I never would have been able to pull it off, and that deserves some recognition and public appreciation :)

eri0o

This is the best game I have played this year. Sound is great (headphones is a must!!!), kickass graphics, insane attention to details.

Spoiler
I will remember Lord Socks.  :~(
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk