Ags editor + wine on linux is borked

Started by blurymind, Sat 13/03/2021 18:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

blurymind

Regardless of what some posts here claim it works, it is kind of unusable. The editor will open and will even let you edit a project. The moment it becomes clear how handicapped it is when you try to playtest the game.

Playtesting does not work at all. You get an error about files being corrupt or something.

Its kind of surprising that it being open source and microsoft open sourcing dotnet there is still no native editor o anything but windows :(

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: blurymind on Sat 13/03/2021 18:05:30
Its kind of surprising that it being open source and microsoft open sourcing dotnet there is still no native editor o anything but windows :(

Besides being opensource, there has to be people who are willing to put time and effort in making it happen. There were not many volunteering for this task. Some work was being done to make Editor Mono-compatible, but it's going too slow.

deadsuperhero

Quote from: blurymind on Sat 13/03/2021 18:05:30
Regardless of what some posts here claim it works, it is kind of unusable. The editor will open and will even let you edit a project. The moment it becomes clear how handicapped it is when you try to playtest the game.

Hey! Native Linux AGS'er here! So...this is definitely something that sucks on Linux at the moment. A really good workaround, however: make sure your editor builds for Windows and Linux (available in the General Settings), and run the Linux game binary through the terminal, rather than just doing the "Run" command in the editor.

So, for my game, I open up a terminal and keep it open. When I want to run my game, I navigate to the game's root directory, then run
Code: ags
./Compiled/Linux/GameName

In practice, it's not too different from the built-in function of running the game. You have to recompile before running it via terminal, but it's not at all a bad workflow. If you're doing this for the first time, you'll need to make sure the file permissions for the linked binaries are 777, to ensure execution.

Quick way to do that, go to gamedirectory/Compiled/Linux/data/ and
Code: ags
sudo chmod 777 ags32 ags64
, and it should pretty much be able to run anytime you want, regardless of how often you recompile the game.

Hope that helps!
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk