Desolate

Started by arj0n, Sun 14/03/2021 23:08:04

Previous topic - Next topic

arj0n

DESOLATE

Story:
'Desolate' takes place in the distant future. A time when long distance space travel is possible and
frequent...

You must escape the derelict space craft. On the way you will have to overcome various challenges
and obstacles throughout over 70 rooms.
Your struggle for survival is escalated by your need to figure out two things:
What happened to the ship, and who 'you' are...

Introduction:
Desolate is a top-down perspective adventure game with arcade and puzzle elements served in a
hybrid TI83-Game Boy monochrome green palette. Or in short, a spaceship crawler.

This is an official port of the original game made in 2004 by Patrick 'tr1p1ea' Prendergast for the
TI-83 & TI-83+(SE) calculators.

Specs:

License:Freeware
Supported OS:Windows & Linux
Resolution:320x240
Colors:4 colors (hybrid Game Boy monochrome green palette)
Input devices:keyboard only

Extra features compared to the original game and the ZX Spectrum remake:

• re-definable keys (2 sets)
  • music and sound effects
  • improved behaviour of enemies
  • animated doors
  • new sprites and animations for enemies
expected release date: March 2021

deadsuperhero

Wow, this looks great! I love the visual style, and the interface design looks awesome. Seems like a fun premise.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

newwaveburritos

Wow, a TI-83 port that's incredible.

Athanor

Desolate is a great game, one of the best on the TI-83/84 for sure (which is quite something as there are tons of interesting and well made games for these devices), very polished and atmospheric. I'm eager to play your remake, the additional features sound reasonable and may enhance the overall experience quite a bit! And I do appreciate you stay so close to the original graphic-wise, the ZX-Spectrum-version just doesn't look that much like Desolate to me in comparison.

arj0n

Quote from: DeadSuperHero on Sun 14/03/2021 23:20:42
Wow, this looks great! I love the visual style, and the interface design looks awesome. Seems like a fun premise.
Thank you! I always try to make the interface as user-friendly as possible  :)

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Mon 15/03/2021 03:20:17
Wow, a TI-83 port that's incredible.
Thanx, after the ZX Spectrum port, this will be the 2nd port of that TI83 game  :)

Quote from: Athanor on Tue 16/03/2021 12:07:35
Desolate is a great game, one of the best on the TI-83/84 for sure (which is quite something as there are tons of interesting and well made games for these devices), very polished and atmospheric. I'm eager to play your remake, the additional features sound reasonable and may enhance the overall experience quite a bit! And I do appreciate you stay so close to the original graphic-wise, the ZX-Spectrum-version just doesn't look that much like Desolate to me in comparison.
Agreed, Desolate is one of the best TI83 games, so IMHO it deserves a Windows & Linux port.
I tried to stay as close as possible to the original, art-wise, because the looks of the Speccy remake didn't appeal as much to me as the original game did.

arj0n

CrashPL

Oh man, I absolutely love that yummy TI/GB pixel art style, well done!

Athanor

Quote from: arj0n on Sat 27/03/2021 12:26:42
Agreed, Desolate is one of the best TI83 games, so IMHO it deserves a Windows & Linux port.
Maxcoderz, the crew behind Desolate, created some of the most astonishing things on the TI-83/84. The RPG "The Verdante Forest" is another game that really uses every last bit of these calculator's abilities. That game would deserve a remake too but I guess it would be quite a bit of work...

arj0n

Quote from: Athanor on Sun 28/03/2021 12:47:18
The RPG "The Verdante Forest" would deserve a remake too but I guess it would be quite a bit of work...
Very nice Zelda-ish game. Who knows I might give it a try one day...

Athanor

Quote from: arj0n on Sun 28/03/2021 13:38:54
Quote from: Athanor on Sun 28/03/2021 12:47:18
The RPG "The Verdante Forest" would deserve a remake too but I guess it would be quite a bit of work...
Very nice Zelda-ish game. Who knows I might give it a try one day...
Zelda-ish appearance indeed, but the combat system is turn based and pretty well made. I'm just digging through the archives on ticalc.org once again... man that's a treasure trove of interesting game concepts...
I hope bug squashing is going on smoothly, I can't wait to try your take on Desolate. :)

arj0n

Quote from: Athanor on Sun 28/03/2021 17:22:34
I hope bug squashing is going on smoothly, I can't wait to try your take on Desolate. :)

Yeh, I think most of it is tackled now, so you can expect a release soon  :)

Athanor

Quote from: arj0n on Sat 03/04/2021 23:12:54
Quote from: Athanor on Sun 28/03/2021 17:22:34

Yeh, I think most of it is tackled now, so you can expect a release soon  :)
Wonderful to hear!  ;-D

Athanor

How are things on the front? :)

arj0n

Looks like bug hunting and fixing is almost done.
So the release will be soon  :)
Thanx for asking.

Athanor

Great, that's the answer I hoped for! Can't wait! :D

ThreeOhFour

Man this looks so good, Arjon. I have a special fondness for TI-83, too!

Athanor

Quote from: ThreeOhFour on Tue 27/04/2021 02:35:06
Man this looks so good, Arjon. I have a special fondness for TI-83, too!
Me too! I'm just playing through some of the great RPGs (Reuben 1-3, Joltima, Dead Eyes, Verdante Forest, FF: Tales of Magic 2, Marc the Superkid) on my trusty TI-84 Plus SE and having a blast. Desolate is one of the most refined games on that very underrated platform. The atmosphere is top-notch but I think the addition of sound and a better AI can greatly enhance the game.

arj0n

@Ben:
Thank you Ben!  :-D
And good to see you're still lurking around here  ;)

Yes, there are many awesome games on the TI-83.
Desolate was for me the most appealing one, I had a lot of fun while working on this version.

@Athanor:
I hope the music and improved enemy behaviour will work out well  :)
Also, the now redefinable keys should improve the user-friendliness level a bit.

arj0n

Desolate has been released: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59155.0

I'd like to thank:

• Érico Porto, CrashPL, heltenjon & FormosaFalanster for testing Desolate
  • Ferry 'Wyz' Timmers for his 'IniFile2 v1.0.0' module
  • and last but not least, Patrick 'tr1p1ea' Prendergast (author of the original Desolate game for the TI-83 & TI-83+(SE)) for giving me permission to make this remake

Darth Mandarb

Congrats!

I'll leave the thread open for a bit so people can see it's been released!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk