AGS Driver Graphical Error on Fullscreen

Started by WiseFrog, Mon 17/05/2021 07:48:55

Previous topic - Next topic

WiseFrog

Hello, I didn't know in which part of the forum to ask or say this so I assumed that this would be the best forum section.
I'm creating a game in 1280x720 resolution(But I tested this problem in other resolutions and it happens the same, anyway I tested this problem only in Windows 10, since I don't have another O.S)

When you configure the driver in Open GL or Direct3D and play the game in fullscreen (since this error only occurs in fullscreen), if you use the keyboard button Impr Pant PetSis (To take a screenshot) the only thing that appears in the screenshot it's a small white square in one corner and below that the program or window you were using (The screenshot below to show what it looks like).

Spoiler
[close]

Now, on the other hand, if you use Renderer Software, everything is perfect, the whole game looks fluid as if you were using the windowed game. And the screenshot with full screen works perfectly.

Another error that I should also notice is that if you choose the option Mode Native Game Resolution in the Setup and use Direct3D, the game despite being in Scaling Method Nearest-neighbor is deformed and blurred. (Screenshot below of how it looks, I take it with the program Fraps, because the problem that I mentioned of not being able to take screenshots in fullscreen with that mode).

Spoiler
[close]

And finally also I noticed that if the OpenGL option is chosen the mouse doesn't move pixel by pixel as it should, if you move it slowly it takes time to move, it's slower, unlike Direct3D and Software Renderer where that options makes it fluid as it should.

This things I tested in both AGS version 3.5.0 and 3.5.1.

I also tested if this problem was still in the WIP version of AGS 3.6.0, and the problem still continuing occur the same and the only one that allows taking the screenshot in fullscreen with the button is the Renderer Software.

Maybe all these errors that I said have already been known for a long time and have no solution, but just in case I wanted to comment on it, especially the screenshot problem, I know many people who like to use that button to take screenshots and if that happens it would be annoying for the players.

Khris

WiseFrog

Yes I know that "solution" but some players prefers using the screenshot in the resolution that they are seeing and in a fast way like the button impr. What's the difference with the graphic opengl and direct3d againts software renderer? The software renderer is bad?

Crimson Wizard

I did not yet look into this problem, but I am not quite sure what "Impr Pant PetSis" button is. Is this like "Print Screen" button?

Quote from: WiseFrog on Mon 17/05/2021 17:48:49
What's the difference with the graphic opengl and direct3d againts software renderer? The software renderer is bad?

Software renderer draws everything using "software" methods which are performed on CPU, and only the final image is displayed using GPU (gfx card).
OpenGL and Direct3D perform hardware accelerated drawing which improves perfomance by delegating tasks to GPU, especially in cases when there's object scaling and other visual effects (like sprite tinting).

Before 3.6.0 software renderer also did slow full game scaling (from native res to the window) and used obsolete DirectX interface which did not work reliably on newer systems. From 3.6.0 it uses modern interfaces depending on each system and window scaling should be fast.

I might also mention for the reference that as of now software renderer is the only reliable option to correctly display 8-bit games with palette cycling effects.

WiseFrog

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 17/05/2021 18:05:36
I did not yet look into this problem, but I am not quite sure what "Impr Pant PetSis" button is. Is this like "Print Screen" button?

Yes it's the print screen button. I don't know why in fullscreen game it's only work on Software renderer and not in OpenGL or Direct3D (That only shows the white square like I showed in the main post)

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Mon 17/05/2021 18:05:36
OpenGL and Direct3D perform hardware accelerated drawing which improves perfomance by delegating tasks to GPU, especially in cases when there's object scaling and other visual effects (like sprite tinting).

And why Direct3D is more fluid and accurate than OpenGL, but OpenGL is better when it comes to scaling the game? (Direct3D depends on the configuration will blurring the game, how I showed it in the main post)

Is it convenient to use Renderer Software if your game is not 8-bit?

Crimson Wizard

In the end it's up to the player to choose the renderer in config, because the results will also depend on their system; and of course they may have their personal preferences.
For the defaults it's best to leave it on Direct3D or OpenGL.

In regards to fullscreen, Direct3D and Software renderers on Windows are using "real fullscreen" mode provided by DirectX, and OpenGL uses "pseudo-fullscreen", which in reality is a screen-sized window without borders.

Quote from: WiseFrog on Mon 17/05/2021 20:16:45
And why Direct3D is more fluid and accurate than OpenGL, but OpenGL is better when it comes to scaling the game? (Direct3D depends on the configuration will blurring the game, how I showed it in the main post)

I cannot answer this question without more details. I'd need to know exact configuration. You may also find some info by pressing "ctrl + alt + v" in game - that will print the resolution and scaling parameters.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk