Non-AGS games in the database

Started by FormosaFalanster, Thu 01/04/2021 06:20:00

Previous topic - Next topic

FormosaFalanster

Is it me or the latest games in the AGS database are not actually made with AGS? Should they be in there?

Gilbert

Can you give some examples of these possible offenders?

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 01/04/2021 06:26:33
Can you give some examples of these possible offenders?

This one is made with Game Maker Studio, as confirmed by the dev on the game's itch.io page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2527-ashina-the-red-witch/ I actually left a comment there but I don't know if any admins read them. Maybe a "report" function would be in order?

This one doesn't look like it's made with AGS either, but in this case there's no engine listed in the game's itch.io page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2526-ash-pines/

arj0n

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 01/04/2021 07:38:10
This one doesn't look like it's made with AGS either, but in this case there's no engine listed in the game's itch.io page: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2526-ash-pines/
But it is an actual AGS game (the zip contains the typical AGS files 'acsetup.cfg' & 'winsetup.exe')  :)

Laura Hunt

Quote from: arj0n on Thu 01/04/2021 08:36:09
Quote from: Laura Hunt on Thu 01/04/2021 07:38:10
But it is an actual AGS game (the zip contains the typical AGS files 'acsetup.cfg' & 'winsetup.exe')  :)

Oh cool, it didn't cross my mind to check that. Good tip to have in mind!

Gilbert

Stranga had made a game used AGS, but he had just added four new games on 24th March.
For Ashina I didn't see what engine was used in the itch.io page but I take your word for it but arjon just confirmed it's made with AGS.
For My Sister it's stated in the game's itch.io page that it was indeed made with AGS.
For the remaining two, I don't know.

Turned out I can disable individual games (probably all moderators can do this too) and I have disabled Ashina (which turned out to be a mistake now). I'll ask to restore it.

arj0n

Red bow and Just Ignore Them are both made with AGS.

eri0o

My big sister too. I have them on Nintendo Switch, they are good games, everyone should play them!

Crimson Wizard

I can confirm "Ashina" is made with AGS, the demo is free and it's only 150 MB so easy to check out:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1259180/Ashina_The_Red_Witch_Prologue/

I believe Stranga is using same "engine" they scripted within AGS for most of their latest games.

Laura Hunt

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 01/04/2021 08:53:22
Stranga had made a game used AGS, but he had just added four new games on 24th March.
For Ashina I didn't see what engine was used in the itch.io page but I take your word for it but arjon just confirmed it's made with AGS.

You don't have to take my word for it, it's right there but for some reason, the text is white on white so you have to highlight it in order to see the additional info:

Still, going by what Crimson Wizard said, it seems like this "Game Maker: Studio" is some kind of custom engine built inside AGS? If that's the case then it obviously belongs on the site, but giving it the same name as another well-known engine definitely invites confusion, imo.

eri0o

Providing a screenshot from a website without linking it is weird.  :-\

Stranga has been here for long, isn't easier to just ask him?

Edit: I messaged Stranga this thread so he can just say something if he wants to.

Crimson Wizard

They have twitter too :) https://twitter.com/hashtag/AshinaTheRedWitch?src=hashtag_click

if you have an account you may ask to clarify there (I don't).

arj0n

Checked the files of all of them, here's the result:

• Ashina The Red Witch Demo: AGS
  • Ashina The Red Witch Prologue: AGS
  • Ash Pines: AGS
  • Just Ignore Them: AGS
  • My Big Sister: AGS
  • Red Bow: AGS

eri0o

Gilbert, the restore on the AGS games DB can only be made by AGA?

Gilbert

Yes probably. Maybe some of the global mods too. At least I don't have this option.

For the Game Maker: Studio part, note the colon there? I guess it meant the game was made with a game maker called Studio. Maybe the name Adventure Game Studio somehow (mis)led someone to think it's an adventure game maker called Studio?

Snarky

Could it be that the maps or whatever were made with GameMaker, or that it's using GameMaker spritesets?

(As a global mod, I do not have the option to restore the entry, so it must only be AGA.)

LimpingFish

Quote from: Gilbert on Thu 01/04/2021 08:53:22

I can confirm that these are all pre-existing games, some a couple of years old, and I presume that the developer only got around to adding them on that date

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 01/04/2021 11:41:26
My big sister too. I have them on Nintendo Switch, they are good games, everyone should play them!

They're on also on PS4 and Vita, though I believe the non-PC versions are ported by a third party in a different engine? The PC versions are AGS.

Quote from: Snarky on Thu 01/04/2021 14:43:58
Could it be that the maps or whatever were made with GameMaker, or that it's using GameMaker spritesets?

Yeah, it wouldn't be too hard to create them in, say, RPGMaker, and export them to AGS. Or the developer may have purchased them ready-made.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: LimpingFish on Thu 01/04/2021 23:50:49
Quote from: eri0o on Thu 01/04/2021 11:41:26

They're on also on PS4 and Vita, though I believe the non-PC versions are ported by a third party in a different engine? The PC versions are AGS.

AFAIK at least Switch port was based on AGS, it was made by third party, they replaced the system-related side of the engine and did some optimizations to the code.

AGA

I've reenabled Ashina.  Thanks for confirming they were all actually made with AGS, arj0n.

Stranga

Hello everyone! Sorry I didn't see this sooner and thanks @eri0o for forwarding this thread to me :)

I can confirm that all my games are made in AGS I do have a few Game Maker games out there but I didn't list them here.

To answer some questions:

• I used keyboard integrated scripts to help give it that non-AGS look but they are still 100% made in AGS.
  • All my ports are made by a third party publisher using a modified version of AGS (AFAIK).
  • All maps/artwork were made in Asepirite. I design the whole map then import it as one big room image then draw on the walkable areas.
I'm more than happy to answer any questions :)

Here's  a few screens of Ashina/Ash Pines in engine:
Spoiler

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk