Started by Stupot, Fri 02/04/2021 04:54:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The winner of MAGS April is:
What a Whopper, by slasher.

Topic: The Cure
Set by WHAM
Deadline: April 30

Since we're all having to deal with all sorts of medical issues from time to time, lately more than usual, wouldn't it be nice if there was a cure? A cure for that one thing that's really a big problem right now? A cure for whatever ails you or a loved one specifically? Or perhaps something most grand: the cure to all disease, anywhere, forever?

Create a game where a key concept is a cure for an ailment or medical condition. What the cure is like, or what happens to it, or what the player/protagonists relationship or attitude to this cure is, remains up to you.

Teaming up is permitted. Pre-existing art assets, such as graphics, sounds and music, are permitted. Originality is encouraged.

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

FormosaFalanster

So if I want to put a song by The Cure in the game does that count as pre-existing asset?

Stupot

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Fri 02/04/2021 07:27:49
So if I want to put a song by The Cure in the game does that count as pre-existing asset?
Yep. Unless you can get Robert Smith to compose an entirely original song just for your game.

FormosaFalanster

I think I may be able to fix a small game that would be a tribute to the band as well and built around one of their songs. I'll see what I can do.

Slasher

Creamy

QuoteOK, Count me in...

The usual table Mr Slasher?

Kastchey

Great theme. I wish I had time to make an entry.
Good luck everyone!

Slasher

Quote from: Creamy on Fri 02/04/2021 20:06:45

The usual table Mr Slasher?
Of course. Only this time get rid of the flowers  (laugh)

I have a few ideas.... Outbreak?

DBoyWheeler

Could it also be a cure for a supernatural disease?  Like magical, or perhaps a variation of one of the Resident Evil viruses, or whatever?  Just thought I'd ask.

VampireWombat

A cure for vampirism. Daybreakers: The Adventure Game, perhaps?

Also: If anyone needs help with graphics this month, let me know. I have enough spare time for that. Just not to make a game of my own.

Stupot

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 04/04/2021 18:20:31
Could it also be a cure for a supernatural disease?  Like magical, or perhaps a variation of one of the Resident Evil viruses, or whatever?  Just thought I'd ask.
Don’t see why not. Usually the MAGS theme is quite open to interpretation.

WHAM

Quote from: DBoyWheeler on Sun 04/04/2021 18:20:31

Yes, definitely. As long as someone, somewhere, thinks or believes there is a disease or a condition, and for that: a cure.
Real. Fake. Imagined. Made up. Magical. Fantastical. It's all good!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

DBoyWheeler

Well, I so long to be able to make my own games here again... or find time to.  But I am willing to proofread dialogue if anyone needs a proofreader.

Slasher

What a whopper!

Now in production and story-boarded...

Slasher

Anybody working on an entry?

Hoping for a good turnout.....

Slasher

Can you find a cure before the experts do, which is months away?

Help the player find a cure...

Slasher

What a whopper!

Update..

TV Newsflash:

"We bring you the latest update on the spread of the Wart virus!"
"So far, over 617 people have contracted the Wart virus!"
"People are advised to stay at home, if possible."
"If you find a Wart on the end of your nose do not go out!"
"Scientists say that a vaccine for the Wart virus may take months!"
"We will update you as news comes in."

https://youtu.be/dO0_l9NGp7g

Game is now at testing stage....

Slasher

Hi,
Slasher brings you What a whopper!
Can you find a cure for the nose Wart virus that has hit the village?
Experts say a vaccine may take many months!

Uses my Slasher Template.

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2532-what-a-whopper-/

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2532-what-a-whopper-/

heltenjon

Great game, Slasher! That's the guy from Taste the Blood of Darkness, isn't it?

Slasher

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 21/04/2021 03:04:51
Great game, Slasher! That's the guy from Taste the Blood of Darkness, isn't it?
Thanks heltenjon.   Yes, it's his night job  (laugh)

Have made a few tweaks since upload...done....

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk