ScummVM feat. AGS: Thousands of games needing testing

Started by the_schut, Mon 05/04/2021 16:55:58

Previous topic - Next topic

the_schut

https://www.scummvm.org/news/20210404/

The hype is real.

Also thanks to bicilotti for the link to this news from Apr 4, 2021 (this fellow  deserves an AGS lifetime award..)

Danvzare

It's about time.  :-D
Now I can finally play Maniac Mansion Deluxe using the same thing I use to play Day of the Tentacle. (Wait, is Maniac Mansion Deluxe supported?)

Ali

This is great news. Well done to all the devs involved!

Cassiebsg

Awesome news!  :)
Congrats to all devs involved!  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Thanyx

Hello guys,

So we've heard the news that ScummVM Android now supports AGS games. When I tried to play our game Metaphobia (you can dl for free here https://digital-mosaic-games.itch.io/metaphobia) I couldn't run it.
I got this error: "ScummVM could not find any game in the specified directory!"

Other games worked fine, so I guess it isn't a problem of ScummVM.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Thanyx AKA Dave

Khris

According to the facebook announcement:
QuoteThe engine has thousands of games. So far, we added detection ‘just’ for about 1,200, but much more are coming.

So apparently each game has to be added individually...?

Thanyx

Oh... had no idea. I thought it was pre-defined in the software to recognize all games.

Thanks a lot Khris, helpful as always :)

Crimson Wizard

I am not completely certain about all of scummvm inner logic. I know they have a hard-coded game detection table for each engine, but one of their devs also mentioned there's a fallback mechanism. Maybe it's not implemented fully yet to detect any game. Perhaps it's best to ask on their forums for clarification.

Monsieur OUXX

cat

Hobbes

Such amazing news. I just had a go and yep, my very old-timer MAGS game "Buccaneer" works a treat. So for anyone looking to give that 2003 MAGS Winner a try, it works fine in the latest daily build of ScummVM. :-)

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Hobbes on Wed 07/04/2021 05:58:43
Such amazing news. I just had a go and yep, my very old-timer MAGS game "Buccaneer" works a treat. So for anyone looking to give that 2003 MAGS Winner a try, it works fine in the latest daily build of ScummVM. :-)

FWIW your game runs with the current AGS engine too. I just wanted to clarify that was possible (that is how people are playing all the old games on AGS Linux port for instance all these years).
In this context ScummVM has an advantage of being easier to install as a game launcher (and on more platforms).

cat

I tried Toffee Trouble but the dialog does not work. I have custom dialog options but I can't select them with the mouse, it just won't move over them.

How is this generally intended to happen? Do we have to go to the bug tracker and everyone has to create an account or should we make a thread here to collect general issues with AGS games in ScummVM?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 07/04/2021 19:58:07
I tried Toffee Trouble but the dialog does not work. I have custom dialog options but I can't select them with the mouse, it just won't move over them.

How is this generally intended to happen? Do we have to go to the bug tracker and everyone has to create an account or should we make a thread here to collect general issues with AGS games in ScummVM?

BTW because most of the logic code was plain copied from AGS, it may be worth to quickly check same issue with the 3.5.1 engine before reporting to scummvm. If that's convenient of course.

cat

Good idea. I downloaded the package, but how can I run the game with the latest acwin.exe? Is this done via command line parameters?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: cat on Wed 07/04/2021 20:36:48
Good idea. I downloaded the package, but how can I run the game with the latest acwin.exe? Is this done via command line parameters?

Variant 1. Place acwin.exe into game folder and simply run it. You may need to do "acwin.exe --setup" from command line to run newest winsetup if the game is too old.
Variant 2. Run acwin.exe from any folder, but pass path to game folder as an argument in command line.
More info on command line here: https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/OPTIONS.md#command-line

cat

Interesting, here the dialog works but the translation has problems (text is translated but translated graphics for buttons are not used and I can't switch in-game)

Maybe if I have more time I'll investigate.

Crimson Wizard

Well, maybe there are separate issues, as the engines have same logic base, but there are already some differences, and will be more over time.
Anyway, ScummVM has its own bug tracker where they post and handle their bugs, also I heard they have their own Discord server, and then one of their developers is visiting AGS Discord under username of "criezy", so these are some options for reporting problems that I know.

cat

criezy

I just checked and we already have a detection entry for Metaphobia and it is recognised properly.
Also there is indeed a fallback detection for games for which we do not yet have a detection entry.

When you wrote "Other games worked fine", do you mean other AGS games? Or other non-AGS games?
I suspect here that you might be trying to use a version of ScummVM that is too old, for example the 2.2.0 release. We have only added support for AGS games recently, so you need a recent development build of ScummVM to play AGS games.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk