ScummVM feat. AGS: Thousands of games needing testing

Started by the_schut, Mon 05/04/2021 16:55:58

Previous topic - Next topic

criezy

I have just tried it, and there is indeed an issue in ScummVM. The mouse seems to get stuck at the top of the dialog choices. It does actually work, and this might only be a display issue (I will need to investigate this further), but you have to imagine where the mouse might be as you don't see it moving, which make it difficult to select the dialog choice you want.

And I have also verified that this is an issue specific to ScummVM and that it does not occur with AGS 3.5.1.

cat

LimpingFish

Just as a initial test I've tried two of my own games in ScummVM, and while they are recognized correctly as Heartland Deluxe and Unbound, they will only load under the fallback option. The only problem is that they run really slow. This may be a problem with AGS itself, as I've found that the Panorama Module runs a lot slower in any version of the engine post 2.72. Otherwise, they work as intended.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

criezy

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 10/04/2021 01:59:23
while they are recognized correctly as Heartland Deluxe and Unbound, they will only load under the fallback option
Do you mean that you get the unknown variant message when trying to add the game to ScummVM? We indeed have detection for those two games already, but they may be for different versions than the ones you tried to add. In such a case the message you get when trying to add the game to ScummVM should tell you to report some information to us so that we can add detection for that variant as well.

LimpingFish

Quote from: criezy on Sat 10/04/2021 22:48:11
Do you mean that you get the unknown variant message when trying to add the game to ScummVM?

That's right.

We indeed have detection for those two games already, but they may be for different versions than the ones you tried to add.

They are the latest versions I've released (v1.1 for Heartland Deluxe, and v1.0 for Unbound), which are pretty much the most widely available ones (especially if they were downloaded through the links on the AGS database). I'd be surprised if an earlier version or either was used, but it's certainly not impossible.

EDIT: Come to think of it (nearly thirteen years later!), Unbound v1.0 is the only version available, as an earlier version was never publicly released.

In such a case the message you get when trying to add the game to ScummVM should tell you to report some information to us so that we can add detection for that variant as well.

No problem. :)

Heartland Deluxe V1.1:
Spoiler
The game in 'Heartland Deluxe v1.1\' seems to be an unknown game variant.

Matched game IDs for the ags engine: heartlanddeluxe

{"Heartland.exe", 0, "0829f8e184ed6a4bf36b14ba42003a67", 6701875},

[close]
EDIT: Actually, Unbound (v1.0) is recognized correctly and runs in the latest build of ScummVM (2.3.0git15028-g78c48fd9df (Apr 10 2021 05:31:24)), though it crashes when loading .mpg files. Don't know why it wasn't correctly recognized last time, though I wouldn't put it past my own technical ineptitude. :-[

Like I said, it's not impossible that v1.0 of Heartland Deluxe would also be recognized correctly, though it's almost impossible to find for download (every website I checked that currently features the game is hosting the v1.1 version). In fact, I can't even find a copy to test myself. It may have existed on the now defunct AGSArchives, but it's not available in the archive torrent, so maybe not.

TLDR: Unbound v1.0 is recognized and runs. Heartland Deluxe v1.1 is recognized, returns an unknown variant error (see above), but runs correctly under the fallback option.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

criezy

Thank you. I have added the detection for this version of Heartland Deluxe now. The detection we had was for an executable that is a bit bigger than yours (it might indeed be version 1.0).

I have also create a bug report on our tracker for the Unbound crash so that we do not forget to look at this.
Do you happen to use a ScummVM version in which mpeg support is not included (it is optional)? You can check this in the About dialog in ScummVM (check if it is listed in the list of "Features compiled in"). That could explain the crash (although even if that is the issue we need to handle this better than with a crash).

Thanyx

Hello @Criezy

Actually, I have downloaded the newest version of ScummVM that is available on Google Play. I downloaded it just like five minutes ago.

And by other games, I meant non-AGS games (INDY FOA, and so on), as well as AGS games.

criezy

Quote from: Thanyx on Mon 12/04/2021 10:01:41
Actually, I have downloaded the newest version of ScummVM that is available on Google Play. I downloaded it just like five minutes ago.
Unless I am mistaken, the version on the Play Store is the last official release (2.2), which is several months old and does not contain the AGS engine. Only development builds are able to run AGS games currently.

Thanyx

Hello,

ok thank you. So can you please help where can I download this version? I am not able to find it on the official site.

cat

Quote from: Thanyx on Fri 16/04/2021 15:15:34
Hello,

ok thank you. So can you please help where can I download this version? I am not able to find it on the official site.

https://buildbot.scummvm.org/#/snapshots, it is linked in the news of ScummVM (linked in the first post).

Monsieur OUXX

Reviving this, september 2021.

- What is the current status of AGS games running on ScummVM?
- Who is involved from the AGS forums?
- What is the best place to talk about it?
- What are the current limitations? (theoretical ones -- Not talking about performance and such)

Spoiler

ScummVM as the de facto AGS engine has a tremendous potential because... It is signed and downloadable from stores. Lol, ScummVM on iOS/MacOS expreriences the same roadblock as many other open source apps on Mac recently : it requires to be built with XCode and ...the critical features of a Mac Developer account (related to signing) is no longer free.
[close]

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 21/09/2021 12:21:42
- What is the current status of AGS games running on ScummVM?

Many of them seem to work, at least judging by their bug tracker, people were playtesting alot.

- Who is involved from the AGS forums?

Because AGS port is largerly based on the current engine code, I'm helping their developer with fixing game logic errors in the older games (in parallel to fixing them in our engine).

- What is the best place to talk about it?

I guess it's ScummVM forums and discord.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk