Three questions of dialog GUIs

Started by JLM_82, Sat 10/04/2021 22:58:01

Previous topic - Next topic

JLM_82

Hi,

I'm currently customizing dialogs for my game project, but there are three unresolved issues:

1) As my dialog system uses a text window GUI (I'm making Quest for Glory 3 -style dialog, where the player can select from the list of dialog topics), the vertical gap between option items is 10px. But: how can I center the dialog options vertically inside the GUI? As default the 10px gap exist also between the last option and the bottom border of the text window GUI, so the bottom-padding of whole the dialog GUI looks now bigger than the top-padding. Any ways to fix this?

2) Is there any way to set the hover text-color for the dialog options? Currently it's pink that doesn't fit at all to the color scheme of my game.

3) Like in the Quest for Glory 3 and 4 -games, the last option in my dialog topic list is always "Stop talking" - that stops the ongoing discussion. I have set the game variable "game.read_dialog_option_color" to highlight the options that the player has already discussed about. But: Is it possible to exclude the last option in the dialog tree ("Stop talking") from that, so that its text-color would always stay same (as in practice, it's not a discussion topic, but a way to quit dialog)?

Crimson Wizard

Don't know about 1).

For 2) there's game.dialog_options_highlight_color.

For 3) as a workaround there's Dialog.SetHasOptionBeenChosen.

An alternative is to script your own custom options rendering, as explained here:
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/CustomDialogOptions.html

JLM_82

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 10/04/2021 23:07:40

For 2) there's game.dialog_options_highlight_color.

The game.read_dialog_option_color -setting doesn't seem to work with my game. Has anyone made it work, and does it requires something special in order to work?

I have put this in the function game_start() -in the global script:

game.read_dialog_option_color = 8713;

but it doesn't seem to have any effect in hover-color of dialog options. My speech style -setting is "SierraWithBackground". Any ideas?

Crimson Wizard

To double check, are you using read_dialog_option_color or dialog_options_highlight_color?

read_dialog_option_color - is for ones that have already been chosen

dialog_options_highlight_color - is for hovering over, afaik.

JLM_82

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 11/04/2021 21:45:33
To double check, are you using read_dialog_option_color or dialog_options_highlight_color?

read_dialog_option_color - is for ones that have already been chosen

dialog_options_highlight_color - is for hovering over, afaik.

I managed to solve the hover-color problem. It was the same problem as described in this AGS forum thread:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55973.0

So it seems that the TextColor property of GUI still affects on the hover color of dialog options.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk