Background Blitz: The Shop! (RESULT)

Started by Chomba, Sun 11/04/2021 05:09:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Chomba

Well, let's get started with this!

From a costume store to a potion/used goods store, every good adventure game should have in its arsenal some instance where we are forced to deal with a salesman/saleswoman at their place of work (THE SHOP)
These places are usually cluttered with all sorts of artifacts or decorations according to their theme and are usually very interesting to the eye..

VOTING TIME!! Until 07. May 2021  //  VOTING TIME!! Until 07. May 2021  //  VOTING TIME!! Until 07. May 2021

The entries:

Stylez75
[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/JKXRjqT.png[/imgzoom]

Hannah_Banana

You can vote for only one participant per category, a participant can be elected in more than one category.

Concept: your background should tell us something about the place you have depicted.
Playability: does it have clearly defined walkable areas, things to interact with, etc?
Artistic Execution: does the image convey the wanted atmosphere? What's the feeling of the place?
(shamelessly copied from Sinitrena who copied it from Creamy)

Let´s vote!

stylez75

Hannah_Banana

A shop in a game could be anything... sometimes to get the ‘good stuff’, you have to go to the sketchy side of town.

[imgzoom]https://imgur.com/q27Ug66.png[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom] https://imgur.com/eboZEY7.png[/imgzoom]

Gilbert

Hehe. Great entry, though seeing him wear long trousers somewhat ruined the suspension. Works more creepily even better if he wears shorts.

Hannah_Banana

Haha it was tempting to increase the ‘creep’ level... tried to keep it PG 😂

Matti

Nice one :)

I recommend not using .jpg though, that ruins your art. Try .png instead.

Hannah_Banana

Probably a user upload error @matti. First time posting on the forum and had trouble figuring out the process for uploading a pic (was exported as a png at higher res originally). I uploaded to imgur to host then linked the pic. Is that the best way?

Matti

Yes, that's the way to do it. Your first picture is a png, just the second is a jpg.

Welcome to the forums btw  :)

Chomba

Voting is open!

I'm going to vote at the end and in the meantime I'm going to make some trophies (gold and silver only). Let's hope that the community will get involved!

Good luck to both participants! (And thanks for being part of the event)

Creamy

Concept: Hannah_Banana. So funny! I want to play that game  (laugh)
Playability: stylez75. Nice place. It gives me Stellar Mess vibes.
Artistic Execution: Hannah_Banana. I especially like the colors. In HD that'd be superb.

mattcoles

Was hoping to enter but couldn't time manage effectively :grin: - next time maybe!

Concept: stylez75. Well its EBGames / GameStop and that's literally my home away from home. It's kinda inception too with playing a video game where a character buys a video game  :cheesy:
Playability: Hannah_Banana. I think there was more of a walkable area here and objects to check out like rummaging through bin, pickup owl in distance, talk to creepy guy etc and check out whats under his coat in terms of items....
Artistic Execution: Hannah_Banana. Am bias towards cartoony styles and think the shadows look cool

Good work though, both pieces look great!

Sinitrena

Concept: Hannah_Banana - What a clever idea; certainly not the first thing you think of when talking about a shop.
Playability: Hannah_Banana - A lot of details, good job.
Artistic Execution: Hannah_Banana - looks really professional.

While all my votes went to Hannah_Banana, I still really like stylez75's entry. Actually, they are both really great and this is one of the rare situations where I wish there were no categories to vote in this competition (though, in general, I like them).

Chomba

Okay, here are my votes and the final results of the contest!

Concept: stylez75. 
While it is a more traditional look, I think it fits better with the concept of what a "store" is. I liked Hannah_Banana's twist, but it leaves out the possibility of "sprucing up" the place with matching elements.

Playability: stylez75
As I see it, this background has more room to move around and more elements to interact with and with the possibility of being used for some puzzling.

Artistic Execution: Hannah_Banana.
Beyond pixel art or cartoon style, Hannah_Banana demonstrates a greater understanding of the use of perspective and has a consistent style across all background elements.

Final results!
(And as promised, a couple of trophies)

Gold:

Hannah_Banana / 8 points

Silver:

Stylez75 / 4 points

Congratulations Hannah_Banana!!! Next one is up to you!! Good luck!

Thank you both for participating!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk