Sprite Jam: Buddy Cop Movie Game (Winner)

Started by Misj', Wed 14/04/2021 21:47:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Misj'

Buddy Cop Movie Game

The unlikely pair...partnered up.

I'm sure you've all seen at least one buddy cop movie. The kind, where two people are forced to team up to defeat the criminals. Well...this is that kind of movie game.

The rules for this Jam are simple:
1. draw your very own two characters of a fictional buddy cop movie game.
2. at least one of the characters should be in law enforcement
3. at least one of the characters should be able to speak.

Rule 2 and 3 are quite open for interpretation. Including what exactly entails law enforcement or being able to speak. If you want to draw a knight partnering up with a monk who took a vow of silence, that's great. If you want to draw a psychic toaster partnering up with a member of the Queen's Guard...I think that still fits the rules. So be creative.

There are no size-limits, colour-limits, etc. But remember, buddy cop movies are all about teaming up unlikely couples...at least the best ones are. So really try to push their personalities through.

Voting starts May 10th Dutch time.

Chomba

EDIT: Because Rules  :-D

I decided to ditch the pro/noob thing and go with the penguin as a partner instead (it´s an emperor penguin, they are huge!)

Yes, this penguin can talk, although she is mute.

PS: I realized that I should have used Does instead of Do, sorry, English is not my first language.

PSII: The wall, the sidewalk and the patrol are modifications I made from things I searched on the internet to put a background to the scene quickly, the sprites of the characters are mine.

-------- I leave the error for context to the post -------------

A quickie one!

The pro and the noob... what´s new? PENGUINS!!

[imgzoom]https://i.imgur.com/YzID0Q8.png[/imgzoom]

stylez75

Cassiebsg

Uhm, I think you guys miss-understood the competition... you suppose to create sprites of the characters, not a movie poster.  ;) But guess, it's up to Misj' to decide if they fit.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Chomba

QuoteUhm, I think you guys miss-understood the competition... you suppose to create sprites of the characters, not a movie poster.

Yeah... like you said, I guess it´s up to Misij´. The word Sprite is never mentioned in the rules, and...

QuoteThere are no size-limits, colour-limits, etc.

This kinda opens up the game a lot to interpretation.

P.S: My entry is not a movie poster, is a game cover  :-D :-D (it says "adventure", not "movie" in the first line  :P)
P.S II: If there´s required to do sprites of the characters I will, no problem with that either

Gilbert

One requirement is, though:
Quote from: Misj' on Wed 14/04/2021 21:47:55
It appeared to me that the characters were just photoshopped with errr... photos, so they don't fit the rules anyway.
If the characters were really drawn , sorry for being skeptical.

There used to be an activity here that involved photoshopping, and was once really popular too. Unfortunately it has seen fallen to obscurity.

Chomba

You got a point there, i´ll edit my entry soon then

-
Edit: Done!

Sinitrena

Lieutenant Smith of the Royal Marine is known for several things: obedience, determination, discretion. But most of all, he likes silence. So, of all people, why was he chosen to take care of this nasty, talkative parakeet, Redfeather, of the famous pirate Captain Rumbottle? And now he's supposed to hunt the captain down with the bird as a sidekick on a golden chain? He just might ask the captain for one of his bottles of rum instead of arresting him when this is all over.

[imgzoom]https://s18.directupload.net/images/210417/updbexke.png[/imgzoom]

Blondbraid

Since I drew a lot of inspiration for the Sniper and Spotter games from the buddy cop dynamic in films,
I figured I might as well draw Olga and Ivan as buddy cops for this entry!

Ivan is basically the guy where you never know if he's dumb or just playing dumb because he's smart enough to realize smart people will get saddled with all the unsolvable tasks even they can't handle.
Olga... well, if she was a cop she'd be kinda a loose cannon AND a harsh stickler for the rules at the same time, it's the best I can explain her.

Hannah_Banana

One follows the rules, the other believes they are there to be broken.

[imgzoom] https://imgur.com/I4qwNdR.png[/imgzoom]

Repi

Long time lurker here posting for the first time, so hello everybody.

---

Godstoe City, The World Capital, 1950. The imagined future is finally here. You know, rayguns and shit.

Some people just live their lives. Some people seek something greater. Scientifically idealized god, holographic Dqoon, is been used to communicate dangerous ideas for the latter. Cosmic Order of the Dqoon cult leader The Xæsar lost almost every member of the cult, when Johnny "The Astonishing Man" Jet struck with his wit and power to catch them.

But somewhere, sometime The Xæsar will reform.

Johnny's hard-drinking makes him blackout. And what happens during the blackouts, is not nice. These dark moments harm the image of the Cosmos Police Force. For the time being, CBF has put Johnny on "vacation".

Eve is nursing Johnny back on track with careful planning. Maybe along the way, she can help Johnny see that there is still true love in this universe.

Johnny Jet: Detective from Cosmos Police Force. Publicly known as The Astonishing Man for catching high-profile cult members. Has a fine taste for good liquor and bad women.

Eve: AI Assistant. This is the most dangerous form of relationship Johnny has ever had - unrequited love from highly developed artificial intelligence with calculating personality. There is no place for other humans in this galaxy of hers. Only Johnny and Eve, star-crossed lovers.

Misj'

My apologies for being an absent-host. There were some personal reasons.
But I did check in from time to time, and I'm very proud of the results.
There are some fantastic and weird entries.

So the time for voting has begun. Pick your three favorites.
number 1: 4 points
number 2: 2 points
number 3: 1 point

I will not vote myself; unless there is a tie that needs to be broken.
The winner will be announced May 16th (Dutch time).

Chomba:

Stylez75:

Sinitrena:
[imgzoom]https://s18.directupload.net/images/210417/updbexke.png[/imgzoom]

Blondbraid:

Hannah_Banana:

Repi:

stylez75

I will not vote for myself because that feels lame.

RULES:
2. at least one of the characters should be in law enforcement
3. at least one of the characters should be able to speak.

For clean line art, I like Sinitrena
Overall Modern Professional look goes with Hannah

So!!
My vote is for  chomba!
Reason
Rule two "at least one character should be law enforcement.
The artwork  Clearly, shows an officer of the law and even what could be a crime sense. The picture without words tells a story.

Also although not required the artwork could be used inside AGS real game play as is.

Repi

Sinitrena (4 points): These characters have well-chosen contrasting primary colors and personalities to tell the story. Mystery of the captain, maybe some treasure hunt for gold (but it's not actually gold) and some witty banter along the road. It would be great stuff. Lieutenant Smith's name, outfit, and color push the sea theme forward, and I can hear the sarcastic remarks of this parakeet. Let's be honest, Redfeather can't be sober either.

Chomba (2 points): Characters have nice inspiration from Maniac Mansion, and the emperor penguin fits right in the color scheme. This is actually how I imagine how David Lynch would make an adventure game.

Hannah_Banana (1 point): Neither one seems to be the typical rebel or the angry type that we see in buddy cops. Both have pleasant appearances, and I could totally see this as a lighthearted comedy. Especially the tinman has a great Mr. nice guy-look, and I wanna believe it is the girl, who follows the rules almost robotically.

Blondbraid: It was a tough competition, and this was my "2 points" for a while, but it boiled down to a preference. Great color scheme to support the characters and possible story behind it. Their tough and mellow personalities are well portrayed. As a Finnish citizen, I feel compelled to make Russian jokes, but it would be a red flag.

stylez75: Looks playable, and has nice sprites. I'm not sure about the nature of this game, but I'm pretty sure I would get arrested several times, cop or not.

Sinitrena

Quote from: Repi on Wed 12/05/2021 18:55:50
Sinitrena [...] Let's be honest, Redfeather can't be sober either.

Of course Redfeather is constantly drunk! Though Leutenant Smith has absolutely no idea where he gets his alcohol from.  ;)
Thanks for the vote.

Repi (4 points): I like the style and especially the face - very expressive. I do wonder how Eve moves - can it fly or roll around on the ground? Good work with the details, like the wrinkles in the pants and vest and the shining shoes. (And welcome to posting in the forums, btw.)

Blondbraid (2 points): I should finally play your games, I just never seem to find the time. Anyway, Olga's facial expression looks more male than female, but to the best of my knowledge, that fits the character. And other features clearly make her look female, especially the hair and her hips. The sprites seem to give me an impression of the character's personality: Olga - agressive, no-nonesense, strict. Ivan - shy, meticulous, maybe a bit afraid. I'll just assume these are the intended characteristics and give you points for them.

Hannah_Banana (1 point): Good use of shades and an overall good artistic execusion. The woman looks a bit pirate-y, can't tell if this is intended. It's clear that she's the more easygoing of the pair, but the slightly silly looking hat on the robot and the (for a human) unusual body composition could also hint that the robot might be easygoing. In short, without more context, the personalities of these two could be read as rather similar.

Chomba: Nice Penguin, though I do wonder how it ended up as a cop.
stylez75: A very human looking dog that leaves me with a lot of questions. And I'm not sure I want to know the answers.  :P

Chomba

Well, all my votes are for myself haha, nah, just kidding.

QuoteChomba: Nice Penguin, though I do wonder how it ended up as a cop.

His family was murdered by a serial killer whale, since then he seeks revenge; but as in his life everything is black and white, if you're not one of the good guys, you're one of the bad guys. So, he decided to become a cop to do it the right way.

--- anyway, the votes:

4 points:
Blondbraid
Well known formula, a thousand times tried and tested, but if done right it always works! The design of the characters reflects very well the role that each of them occupies in the couple, it is easy to read and goes to the point.

2points:
Hannah_banana
Although she seems more like a pirate (Elaine?) than a cop, I like the pairing. The possibility the others named of her being the stiff and the robot the rebel makes it more interesting. Since you never specified who each description corresponded to, I choose to stick with that one :P.

1point:
Repi
It was close for 2 points, but Eve's mobility and inexpressiveness worked against her. I love the concept of the imagined future though!

Repi

I really appreciate the feedback and votes, and thanks Sinistrena for the welcoming words! :)

Originally Eve had a reason to be a bit featureless to hint at her possible dark side. The more I think about the feedback, the more I realize that she really doesn't have a lot going on. The hinting should be more obvious. Perhaps darker colors... and of course there's that immobility thing. As an AI, maybe she moves through the wires or something.

I'm very happy about you Sinistrena commenting on the wrinkles in the pants! I couldn't imagine anyone who could draw wrinkles. This really is the artistic high bar for me as they were a real pain in the ass. Art is about mastering wrinkles. It's about time someone says it.

Blondbraid

It's a tough choice, but my vote goes;

4 points:
Hannah_Banana, for the lovely colors and nice expressions that really showcase their personalities

2 points:
Repi, for the fine details and absolutely nailing the retro comic book look

1 point:
Sinitrena, just because of the strong HMS Pinafore vibes!

Misj'

Overall I'm very impressed with the results. They are more creative than my own entry would have been, I think. And I definitely see some game-potential here.

May 16th has come and gone...so I counted the votes. Stylez' votes needed some interpretation for the second and third palce...so I just tied them (it didn't affect the overall result so...)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|              |  Stylez75  |    Repi    |  Sinitrena |   Chomba   | Blondbraid |   Total    |
| ------------ | ---------- | ---------- | ---------- | ---------- | ---------- | ---------- |
| Chomba       |     4      |     2      |            |            |            |      6     |
| Stylez75     |            |            |            |            |            |            |
| Sinitrena    |    1.5     |     4      |            |            |     1      |     6.5    |
| Blondbraid   |            |            |     2      |     4      |            |      6     |
| Hanna_Banana |    1.5     |     1      |     1      |     2      |     4      |     9.5    |
| Repi         |            |            |     4      |     1      |     2      |      7     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the winner is: Hanna_Banana!
Congratulations. You get to host the next SpriteJam.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk