McCabras - DEMO available

Started by Trout, Fri 23/04/2021 21:24:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Hi all, I'm quite new in this forum and this is my first game designed for people other than my friends. So... I'm not so proud to present:

McCabras

Story:

Meet Fred, an engineering student who is taking his second degree in chemical engineering. He just wants to study in life and he sees almost everybody as a nuisance and a waste of molecules that contributes to the death of the universe with his every action.
One day he discovers that his department has suddenly been closed down and the dean of the faculty has gone missing. He doesn't care, but he needs all of that in order to study, so he starts looking for the dean in a world full of people that annoy him.
Of course, later he will realise that there's more at stake than just that... and still he won't care about it.

Game genre: Contemporary
Game type: Comedy
Also, if all goes well it will be the first of a trilogy.
In order to play this game you also have to know at least what entropy is. Just kidding, but let's say it doesn't hurt to know a bit of thermodynamics.

!!!VERY IMPORTANT!!! :-[ Because of the "indecent" nature of a particular dialog (and an inventory item) the game is not suitable for children.
Demo download:
You can download a kind of demo here to get into the spirit:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d-aSQQDjNEPEArw5e-_smcviilTWy3FT/view?usp=sharing
You can find 4 rooms, some dialogs and some "secret" (unnecessary) interactions.

Future features:
- modified Thimbleweed template (the demo uses the BASS template for the sake of simplicity);
- more movie/Simpsons/adventure game references;
- better walk cycle, I'm sure I can do it;
- pen spinning competition;
- an heartbreaking non-love story;
- an Italian translation, which actually would be the main language.

Screenshots:

Development Progress:

Story: 70%
Scripting: 30%
Graphics: 30%
Sound/Music: 75%

Expected completion date: late summer 2021

heltenjon

Well, that was fun. The humour involving bodily fluids may be a bit juvenile, but I'm childish, so no harm done there. I liked the graphic style with the oversized heads, although I think the main reaction animation of the protagonist happened a bit too often. The style of puzzle with a convoluted solution involving several steps also works.

I'm not too fond of the descriptions of other characters or all the dialogue choices - the main character seems a bit of a douche at times. But I liked the copy guy!

Best of luck with the project! I'll play the finished version, too.  ;)

Trout

Thank you very much for your feedback!
My intent was to create a "scholarly" background that will gradually evolve over time, and that's also the reason why the main character is a total douche. I'm trying to tone it down a bit, however, maybe it was too much  :grin:
Thank you again!

heltenjon

As long as it's intentional that he's behaving a bit boorish, that's okay. There's no rule saying the lead should always be likable.

Thought about it later...perhaps a certain mustard reference ought to be replaced with mayo?  :-\

The reason why I thought the wiggling head animation was used too often, was that I couldn't see the pattern. Does he do it when he's making progress, or when he thinks he's cool, or when he reacts to something stupid other characters say...? Mind you, I wasn't taking notes, so there may be a pattern that I didn't catch. But I think the animation (which is cool, btw) ought to mean something. It would also give some personality to the other characters if they had their own animations specific to them. On the other hand, as it is makes the protagonist stand out from the crowd more.

Trout

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 28/04/2021 00:35:36
Thought about it later...perhaps a certain mustard reference ought to be replaced with mayo?  :-\
Yep...  :embarrassed:
Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 28/04/2021 00:35:36
The reason why I thought the wiggling head animation was used too often, was that I couldn't see the pattern. Does he do it when he's making progress, or when he thinks he's cool, or when he reacts to something stupid other characters say...?
Mind you, I wasn't taking notes, so there may be a pattern that I didn't catch. But I think the animation (which is cool, btw) ought to mean something. It would also give some personality to the other characters if they had their own animations specific to them. On the other hand, as it is makes the protagonist stand out from the crowd more.
You're right and that's absolutely my fault, of course the game is still not polished enough to make someone understand what I have in mind. I will upload a more refined demo as soon as I can!
However, the idea is that the protagonist reacts in that way when he is annoyed or angry. And this happens way too often  :grin: I will sure work on this! Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk