Help identify a midi

Started by Trout, Mon 26/04/2021 00:40:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Hello,

I have a mystery to solve and I hope you can help me to uncover it.
Some time ago I recovered an old hard disk in which I stored, among other things, a lot of midi songs from old videogames. We are talking about late 20th century stuff, games from the 90s and even late 80s, mostly adventure games like Zak McKracken, Loom, Indiana Jones etc.

And then I found this little march:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BV1RT2_BGCMEpEWkhhbHgwLTg/view?usp=sharing

Let's put aside the fact that this file is .mp3 and not .mid (it will take some time to explain and it's not really important).
I know this sounds weird, but this song has sentimental value to me and some of my friends. Again, the story may be too long to tell and I have the feeling that nobody wants to hear it; anyhow, we'd really like to know where it come from.

Does anybody know this song? Have you ever heard it before? Does this song remind you of something?

Here's the things I know:
- I know almost for sure that this song comes from a videogame, high chance that the videogame is an old adventure game, and that's why I'm asking you. I spent A LOT of time in vgmusic.com and mirsoft.info searching for that videogame. Literally months (never found it of course  :grin:);
- there's a chance that comes from a software with its own midi library, something like RPGmaker (I already downloaded some old version of RPGmaker and I haven't found the song);
- the file name is: "unknown.mp3". Doesn't help. I remember how I recorded it from and old AGS .vox file many years ago, so this name gives us no clue.

That' all I guess.
Thanks in advance and sorry to bother you with this strange question.

Danvzare

Hmm, it sounds vaguely familiar to me. Like something from a Mega Drive game I played once.  :-\

The first games that come to mind are: North and South, Cannon Fodder, Rampart, and Risk. But I can't verify that it belongs to any of those. The starting drum part is very similar to Rampart, and listening to the music on the DOS version, there is definitely a similarity. Maybe the music for the DOS version of Rampart was done by the same people as this song? (That's Bitmasters by the way.)
Whatever the case, if I have heard this song before, I definitely haven't heard it in its midi form.

Babar

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 26/04/2021 16:45:51
Hmm, it sounds vaguely familiar to me. Like something from a Mega Drive game I played once.  :-\

The first games that come to mind are: North and South, Cannon Fodder, Rampart, and Risk. But I can't verify that it belongs to any of those. The starting drum part is very similar to Rampart, and listening to the music on the DOS version, there is definitely a similarity. Maybe the music for the DOS version of Rampart was done by the same people as this song? (That's Bitmasters by the way.)
Whatever the case, if I have heard this song before, I definitely haven't heard it in its midi form.
Considering it is recorded from an AGS .vox file, that doesn't seem likely
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

arj0n

Can you trace back the name or the exact filesize of that AGS vox file and the game itself?
Otherwise there's not much change to find out the track's origin..

Danvzare

Quote from: Babar on Tue 27/04/2021 13:58:09

Considering it is recorded from an AGS .vox file, that doesn't seem likely
I agree. I was just trying to be helpful by giving my thoughts on the matter.
That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if it was stolen from a more popular game, before it ended up in an AGS .vox file.

Quote from: arj0n on Tue 27/04/2021 15:13:34
Can you trace back the name or the exact filesize of that AGS vox file and the game itself?
Otherwise there's not much change to find out the track's origin..
To track down the game, perhaps you could look at the file's creation date. It'd at least give you a latest possible date. Not the most useful thing in the world, but it'd be start.

Trout

First of all, thank you all very much!

The first games that come to mind are: North and South, Cannon Fodder, Rampart, and Risk.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I've already looked into all of them.
I also followed the Bitmasters lead without success.  :embarrassed:

About the vox file, I was too vague, that's my fault. Sorry. I'll go a little bit into details.
The file comes from a short game that I made for my friends in 2005.
So Danvzare is right, the music was stolen and it was stolen by me from some unknown old videogame.
Then, I can't remember what happened. I know that somehow I accidentally deleted the original midi file back in 2005, and I recorded the song from the old music.vox in mp3 format. Then I kept using it for other "restricted" games, and we (me and my friends) started to associate the song with a particular person. And that person then disappeared.
The song has been left in that hard disk like the Ark of the covenant, until some months ago.
So I really have no clue other than my memory, but unfortunately my memory... well, it sucks!  :cry:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk