MAGS May "Growing" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Sat 01/05/2021 16:24:04

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favourite game of MAGS May?

Dirandious Kroken by Slasher
1 (7.1%)
Breakfast on Trappist-1 by FormosaFalanster
7 (50%)
Fhaloness by Hobbes
6 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Voting closed: Tue 15/06/2021 05:42:43

Stupot

We seem to have a real contest shaping up. Keep those entries coming in.

eri0o

@FormosaFalanster, don't forget to add your game to ags games database: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/add/v

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 20/05/2021 13:12:51
@FormosaFalanster, don't forget to add your game to ags games database: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/add/v

I would gladly do but is it okay for a MAGS game to be in the database before the end of the month? I thought we had to wait but maybe I'm wrong, I never did a MAGS before.

eri0o

I don't think there's such restrictions, just mentioned because I like browsing games through the game db. Slasher's Dirandious Kroken from this MAGS is already there: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2534-dirandious-kroken/  :)

Hobbes

I'm still here!

I remembered how much fun it is to animate sprites. And I remembered how much time it takes... so, the pressure is definitely on to get this one finished before the end of the month...

Little update:
Spoiler

[close]

heltenjon

So I've been having breakfast on Trappist-1...

It's a great game. I just wonder what's growing. Is it the colonial expansion that's sort of in the background of the story you think of?

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 21/05/2021 21:17:02
So I've been having breakfast on Trappist-1...

It's a great game. I just wonder what's growing. Is it the colonial expansion that's sort of in the background of the story you think of?

It's Zheny growing out of her trauma and past life into a new one.

Hobbes

I made it! I'm happy to submit for MAGS May 2021, Fhaloness...

I'd love for you to try out my little game! It contains...

- Character growth
- A growing flower
- Weeding unwanted growth

Please give it a try here on the AGS database: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2543-fhaloness

I'll now proceed to put it in the Completed Games section as well... :-) I hope you like it! I had a lot of fun making it. And of course, can spot 10,000 things I'd want to do differently...

Slasher

Hobbes....     There are a couple of issues..

One boy frame no transparency. Restore game not showing Saves...

Hobbes

Hi Slasher,

Thanks for letting me know! And thanks for trying out my game!

Can you remember what frame/animation was missing transparency? I did fix the crying animation on the girl, but maybe I didn't upload the ZIP file everywhere (I think the one on Itch.Io is definitely complete)

However, the save/restore error is very, very weird! As far as I can see, I haven't changed the BASS template at all. But for some reason it's not saving games when you press "Save". But no errors are generated in the Warnings log. And when I check out the scripts, they're all there and tied to the button. Very weird!

I fixed the save/restore error. I was using the open_gui command, which for some reason doesn't render the correct info. show_save_dialog and show_restore_dialog do the trick. Thank you for spotting that one!

Slasher

Hobbes

looks like fixed frame transparency.. Restore game fixed...

Get water repeats even after you've used it in the potion...

Now at Sister missing....

Finished.... cute game ;)

Slasher

Been playing Trappist-1...

Cool storyline.... not yet finished...

** Finished...

Stupot

Last call for entries, folks.

Stupot

Okay. Time's up and we have three entries. Well done everyone.

Please play the games below and vote using the poll above.

Dirandious Kroken
by Slasher
Breakfast on Trappist-1
by FormosaFalanster
Fhaloness
by Hobbes

As always, let me know if I've missed anything. Cheers.

Shadow1000

Great entries this month!

My comments:

Dirandious Kroken
Spoiler
Creative, fun to play and hits the contest theme right on the spot, more than the other entries. Once you get the hang of the game it gets a bit repetitive but overall short and fun.
[close]

reakfast on Trappist-1
Spoiler
I love when entries create a complete back story, world and environment with tons of detail and then let you play what feels like a chapter of the story in MAGS entries. Crisp graphics, engaging story, inventory and dialogue puzzles, map and most of all, really enjoyable puzzles. This is what I would expect in a full release. My only beefs are that I personally like seeing the game character animated rather than just see the background and that the connection to the game theme is a bit weak
[close]

Fhaloness
Spoiler
Nice graphics and story. Puzzles are a bit simple. Connection to theme of the month is adequate. I think this could be made into a medium or even full length game if you created a previous chapter and a few chapters after to see how the story pans out!
[close]

My vote was for
Spoiler
Breakfast on Trappist-1. It is the most complete entry, and particularly with the puzzle and story design
[close]

heltenjon

Here are my thoughts this month.

Dirandious Kroken
Spoiler
Short and easy game with some typical Slasher humour. Hits the theme good, but the fun is over very fast.
[close]

Breakfast on Trappist-1
Spoiler
The best game this month. Beautiful art and some very nice science fiction ideas that's in the background of the story, like the stuff about low gravity and the planet not spinning on its axis. I also liked that Earth countries have space colonies, not simply "Earth". This in itself gives the characters and their interaction some extra depth, through the meeting of different cultures and habits. Belgium was perhaps an odd choice for a colonialist - I expected atrocities, given the country's horrible colonial history on Earth, but it seems that's not a point, at least not in this chapter. Having given all this praise, there is a big BUT coming: The game isn't really made for MAGS, and the connection to the theme of the month therefore is paper thin. I still think it's great it was entered, so that more people would try it out.
[close]

Fhaloness
Spoiler
Here's another game that acts as an opening chapter in a longer story. It gives me plenty of urge to see more, too. The characters interact nicely, there seems to be some decent world building and mythology going on, and the magic tree makes this game both interesting and a very good fit for the contest. I also felt that character growth was more of an issue here than in Breakfast. Oh, and I liked the music. (nod) I particularly liked the small details like how the sister reacts if you try to rummage through her stuff before talking with her about their loss.
[close]

I voted for:
Spoiler
Fhaloness. Even though I think Breakfast is a better, longer and more complete game, I feel this one delivers better on the premise of the contest.
[close]

EDIT: typo

Kastchey

A really nice set of entries this month!

Dirandious Kroken
Spoiler

Short and funny, I admire how you managed to somehow create a puzzle out of a recipe (laugh) The ending was hilarious. Also, definitely the most clear, strong and straightforward interpretation of the theme.
[close]
Breakfast on Trappist-1
Spoiler

I absolutely LOVED the rich backstory and how you used the features of the real Trappist-1F, like the tidal lock or the size of the habitable zone, in your worldbuilding. The interpretation of the theme is very subtle, but extensive: children growing to be natural dwellers of the planet in contrary to their immigrant parents, other colonies growing faster than the archaic T1F, the first settlement having slowly developed into an industrial centre and so on. The aspect would probably be much better visible if the game was longer and more span-out over time, but it's visible enough (side note, Zheny "growing out of her nostalgia" was probably the weakest (in the context of the MAGS theme) of all the "growing" in the game ;) ). Lorenzo's beautiful, limited colour palette art fit the game perfectly.
[close]
Fhaloness
Spoiler

A quite unique take at a fantasy world, it felt like a wood elves meet Jedi thing. Very interesting! The plot pace and puzzles felt a little bit rushed, but it's MAGS and you can only do so much within a month's time. Do you plan to continue working on the game? It looks like a promising prelude to something that might as well turn into a memorable title.
[close]

I haven't voted yet, still undecided. Will edit the post later... Well done everyone, nice turnout!

Hobbes

Regardless of who wins, thank you all for leaving your thoughts/comments on the entries. It's really nice & helpful to read your thoughts. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I have to honestly admit I voted for Breakfast since I really enjoyed the story in that one.

Kastchey, the Fhaldirs being a mixture of Jedi & Elves is absolutely the blend I was going for! Nice to hear it was recognised! (I do plan on continuing this one but rather not commit to that and disappoint, but yes, I'm trying out some stuff. The important thing is to keep it small otherwise I'll get overwhelmed I feel! Episodic is the way to go with this one probably)

Heltenjon, I like how you caught the details with the sister. Also
Spoiler
Did you try to go into her room after making the potion? It's a minor detail again, but it felt important to me.
[close]

lorenzo

My feedback on the entries (excluding Breakfast on Trappist-1, obviously).

Dirandious Kroken:
Spoiler
Funny game with typical Slasher's humour. It involves feeding a plant while reading a terribly spelled book. Fairly easy, but fits well the theme. 10 minutes of fun!
[close]

Fhaloness:
Spoiler
Nice, clear graphics and an interesting world. Puzzles keep the plot going at a steady pace. Story-wise, the twist comes and is solved a bit abruptly, but it's understandable since it's a MAGS game.
The game works well as the first chapter of a longer story, I would definitely play the next chapters. ;)
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk