King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella Retold

Started by DrSlash, Wed 05/05/2021 21:36:11

Previous topic - Next topic

JStryker47

I forgot to mention two other pros, and one other con:

Spoiler

+ The KQ1 SCI style title screen is a welcome change.  Honestly, every King's Quest game should've started like that, rather than asking whether or not the player has played the game before.
+ It was nice to be able to avoid the shark, rather than have his presence be an immediate death sentence.  (Though I was usually able to avoid him completely, by walking off the pier and swimming to Genesta's island from there.)

- The ogre’s dog moves pretty fast, making it difficult to click the bone on him in time.  (The way we combat this in our version, is by having the cursor go to the icon bar as soon as the “watch out” message goes away, and making him move slightly slower.)

[close]

Personally, if it was possible, I'd like to see Quest for Glory 5 re-done.  As much as I enjoy that game, it has quite a few serious problems.  But I feel like that's a rant that needs its own thread; which I'll probably make later.

daleks13

Ok i finished the game with perfect score. 3 things that were the hardest for me climbing  whale tongue still. Climbing the stairs leading to Lolotte's bedroom going up and down.
and getting the eye from those witches.

Also i noticed even with no deadlocks on you can still eat the fruit surprised with that means you could only get the sad ending. i saved my game before doing it though just wanted to see if it was possible.

edenwaith

I noticed that there are versions available for Windows and Linux, but not for Mac.  On a Facebook post announcing this game, another person lamented that there wasn't a Mac version available.

Fortunately, I have ported a number of AGS games to the Mac, so I spent a couple of minutes to put together a proof of concept, and got a Mac version up and running in about five minutes.  Let me know if you'd like a more official version of a Mac port.

[imgzoom]http://www.edenwaith.com/images/misc/KQ4-Retold-Mac.png[/imgzoom]

mkennedy

How does the day/night cycle work when you disable the time limit and dead ends?

DrSlash

Quote from: edenwaith on Sat 08/05/2021 04:47:51Fortunately, I have ported a number of AGS games to the Mac, so I spent a couple of minutes to put together a proof of concept, and got a Mac version up and running in about five minutes.  Let me know if you'd like a more official version of a Mac port.
That's great, edenwaith! Feel free to pm me so we can discuss the port. I'm planning to release the first patch some time this weekend, and I'd love to have it available for Mac as well.

Quote from: mkennedy on Sat 08/05/2021 07:40:10
How does the day/night cycle work when you disable the time limit and dead ends?
Pretty much the same way as in the SCI version of the game, minus the time limit. You see, even in the original game, there are set points in the story that will automatically progress the time till night or morning. Minor spoilers below:
Spoiler
â€" The night falls once you have the scarab and the fruit
â€" The morning comes once you defeat Lolotte
[close]

agentbauer

Has anyone else problems in kissing the frog.
I picked him up, but I can't click on him. The cursor always says, I click on Rosella.

But anyway, great work, very impressive.
I'd love to see a QfG 5 in your style ;)
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

DrSlash

King's Quest IV Retold 1.0.1 is out!

The patch fixes a number of minor bugs, as well as contains several new quality-of-life improvements. None of the bugs are completely gamebreaking though, so feel free to skip this patch if you've already started a save on the older version.

Complete changelog (may contain minor spoilers if you haven't played the game yet):
[changelog][ + ] Added a quicksave feature
[ + ] Added a hotkey for restoring the last save
[ + ] Added hotkeys for changing game speed
[ + ] Added hotkeys for switching between cursor modes
[ + ] Added numpad hotkeys for moving diagonally
[ + ] Pressing the Enter key is now equivalent to clicking the left mouse button when no GUI is displayed
[ + ] Chasm fall animation can now be skipped with the Esc key
[ + ] Keyhole cutscenes can now be skipped if the ogre is sleeping or not inside the house
[ + ] The ending cutscene can now be skipped with the Esc key
[ + ] The "KQ4" button in the options menu now includes a message indicating whether the dead-ends and the time limit are enabled
[ - ] Fixed a crash where the ogre and the ogress would appear in the bedroom or the kitchen at the same time
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the game would say the Unicorn is paralyzed with fear even if there is no Unicorn on the screen
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the game would not remove the fish from the player's inventory
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the game would not recognize a two-tile inventory item if the inventory window was closed on the exact frame the item was selected
[ - ] Fixed a bug where one of the halves of a selected two-tile inventory item would sometimes not be highlighted on the inventory screen
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the time displayed in the grandfather clock's look message would repeatedly switch between A.M. and P.M. at noon and midnight
[ - ] Presumably fixed a bug where the game would softlock when falling down the chasm
[ - ] Implemented WASD movement, which did not work in the previous version despite being listed among the game's controls
[ - ] To prevent possible bugs, manual saves may no longer contain the words "AUTOSAVE" and "QUICKSAVE" in their names
[ - ] Game speed is no longer automatically set to default when Edgar comes upstairs to Lolotte's room
[ - ] Ogre spawn behavior and door script for the ogre's house are now more consistent with the original game
[ - ] Increased the size of the trigger zone for going downstairs from the organ screen
[ - ] Increased the size of the hotspot for the pile of bones
[ - ] Slightly expanded the walkable area for crossing the chasm
[ - ] Prerequisites for automatic time progression are now more consistent with the original game
[ - ] Increased the chance for the Lord of the Manor to appear
[ - ] Changed the behavior of the Miser to make it more consistent with the original game
[ - ] Updated the appearance of the talk cursor
[ - ] Removed silence at the end of the music track that plays on the pier screen[/changelog]

A MacOS port is underway and will (presumably) soon become available as well.

Quote from: JStryker47 on Fri 07/05/2021 06:34:17The clock's eye message also contains a typo.  12:00 AM is midnight.  If it's daytime, then the time should be 12:00 PM.
Interestingly, turns out it wasn't a typo. It was a bug that caused the clock to switch between AM and PM every frame at noon and midnight. I'm surprised that this bug was caught so fast, considering that there was only a 10-second window in which it could occur.

Quote from: agentbauer on Sat 08/05/2021 19:52:55
I picked him up, but I can't click on him. The cursor always says, I click on Rosella.
Spoiler
Yep, this is not how you kiss the frog. Try a different approach.
[close]

daleks13

Quote from: agentbauer on Sat 08/05/2021 19:52:55

But anyway, great work, very impressive.
I'd love to see a QfG 5 in your style ;)

Agentbauer check your inventory the frog should be there then just click hand icon on the frog to kiss it.

Shadow1000

Incredible remake! I don't think I played the original (it was SO long ago) but thankfully there are plenty of walkthroughs because some of the puzzle solutions are not ones I would have figured out on my own. (this remark is towards the original, not to remake)

One small scripting bug:

Spoiler
I am at the point in the game where I have to retrieve the unicorn. I went back on the mountain to see what happens and it says "the unicorn seems paralyzed with fear" even though I don't yet have the unicorn
[close]

DrSlash

Thanks, Shadow, glad you're enjoying the game! Also thanks for the report, however the bug you described has just been fixed in today's patch ;)

Athanor

Thank you so much @DrSlash for continuing to iron out the (very few!) bumps in your lovely remake! I really appreciate that.

DrSlash

King's Quest IV Retold 1.0.2 is out!

Same as the previous one, this patch only contains minor fixes and quality-of-life additions, so no need to updated if you've already started a save.

Complete changelog (may contain minor spoilers if you haven't played the game yet):
[changelog]Version 1.0.2 (May 10, 2021):
[ + ] Added hotkeys for toggling between Walk and the last cursor mode
[ + ] Lute and flute playing animations can now be skipped with the Esc key
[ + ] Movement hotkeys introduced in the previous patch can now be used to stand up from the organ
[ - ] Fixed a bug where movement hotkeys introduced in the previous patch allowed Rosella to walk while holding the frog
[ - ] Cupid behavior is now more consistent with the original game
[ - ] Increased the chance for the robin to appear
[ - ] Implemented a better fix for the bug where the game would not recognize a two-tile inventory item
[ - ] Optimized the code responsible for highlighting items on the inventory screen
[ - ] Fixed minor graphical errors on the backdrop for Genesta's bedroom[/changelog]

The MacOS port is still coming, stay tuned!

Quote from: Athanor on Sun 09/05/2021 08:17:30
Thank you so much @DrSlash for continuing to iron out the (very few!) bumps in your lovely remake! I really appreciate that.
Thank you, Athanor! Yeah, there were definitely less bugs than I feared, but still more than I hoped (then again, I hoped there won't be any bugs at all  :-D).

sonneveld

This is wonderful! I found out about this new version on therenesance's twitch stream https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1016235795 .

Is there a chance of incorporating some of the differences in the AGI version?  For example, opening Pandora's box is slightly different:

I was also wondering if you had a chance to add easter eggs like these ones:

DrSlash

Quote from: sonneveld on Mon 10/05/2021 15:16:27This is wonderful! I found out about this new version on therenesance's twitch stream
Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check out the stream! Seeing other people play the game is extremely helpful for collecting feedback.

Quote from: sonneveld on Mon 10/05/2021 15:16:27Is there a chance of incorporating some of the differences in the AGI version?  For example, opening Pandora's box is slightly different:
Interesting, I did not know that the Pandora's box scene has a dedicated screen in the AGI version. Regardless, I don't currently have any plans to incorporate any of the scenes unique to the AGI version into Retold. That would require remaking all the graphics used in these scenes from scratch, which is beyond the scope of the project.
Besides, Retold has its own easter eggs (albeit, all of them are text-only).

Jen_78

I think I found a mistake unless I am missing something.

Spoiler
At the end of the game, after killing Lolotte, the hen is supposed to be in the room with Pandora's Box. You're supposed to be able to pick it up and take it to Genesta's island, but it isn't in the room.
[close]

Other than that, thank you for this!  This is my favorite game of all time and it was so much fun revisiting it!

DrSlash

Quote from: Jen_78 on Mon 10/05/2021 17:26:29
Spoiler
At the end of the game, after killing Lolotte, the hen is supposed to be in the room with Pandora's Box. You're supposed to be able to pick it up and take it to Genesta's island, but it isn't in the room.
[close]
Hm, very curious, thanks for reporting this. I think I might have found the issue. Did you
Spoiler
return to the Ogre's house to get the axe AFTER bringing the hen to Lolotte, by any chance?
[close]

Jen_78

Quote from: DrSlash on Mon 10/05/2021 17:38:28
Quote from: Jen_78 on Mon 10/05/2021 17:26:29
Spoiler
[close]
Hm, very curious, thanks for reporting this. I think I might have found the issue. Did you
Spoiler
return to the Ogre's house to get the axe AFTER bringing the hen to Lolotte, by any chance?
[close]

Ah, actually, yes, yes I did.  I forgot about
Spoiler
picking up the axe the first time. I went upstairs and was like... I KNOW I was supposed to do something up here, but can't remember what. So I had to go back later and get it.
[close]

And I am exactly 4 points shy of the perfect score... and that is why.

Snarky

Really happy I noticed this thread. So cool! I haven't played it yet (or any earlier version of KQ4, actually), but I'm really psyched that you've got all the various music and audio from different versions combined.

Not gonna lie: I would really love to see this refresh of the game design/UI combined with Nightfable's VGA-style art (the 3D-rendered, SVGA style does not appeal to me), even though I have a whole lot of respect for this approach as well. Perhaps some day…

agentbauer

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 12/05/2021 11:15:50
Really happy I noticed this thread. So cool! I haven't played it yet (or any earlier version of KQ4, actually), but I'm really psyched that you've got all the various music and audio from different versions combined.

Not gonna lie: I would really love to see this refresh of the game design/UI combined with Nightfable's VGA-style art (the 3D-rendered, SVGA style does not appeal to me), even though I have a whole lot of respect for this approach as well. Perhaps some day...

Yep, not much to add.
I worked with her on the VGA remake, and her VGA-art is perfectly Sierra style.

Just take a look here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dk9deJYs0gY

Add her VGA-art to this awesome remake, and there would be Kings Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella Retold VGA ;)

DrSlash, I just finished the game the second time, this time with dead-ends..
Awesome work, even if I repeat myself. Programming that game must have been a difficult task.
Roger Wilco Rules
NEW HOMEPAGE: http://spacequestiv5.pytalhost.at
Space Quest IV.5 Version 3.00 is finally done, check it out:
http://www.bigbluecup.com/yabb/index.php?topic=40735.msg538357;boardseen#new

DrSlash

The Mac port is now available for download! Same as with other versions, all download links can be found on the game's AGS database page. Huge thanks to edenwaith for creating the port!

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 12/05/2021 11:15:50
Quote from: agentbauer on Wed 12/05/2021 14:25:25Awesome work, even if I repeat myself. Programming that game must have been a difficult task.
Thanks, both of you!
And yep, programming this game was definitely a rather challenging task, considering its scope and the complexity of some of its sections and systems, but that's what made this whole project fun. Game development can become tedious and feel like a chore when there are no challenges.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk