Jibble

Author Topic: King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella Retold  (Read 11318 times)

Re: King's Quest IV: The Perils of Rosella Retold
« Reply #60 on: 05 Jun 2021, 21:35 »

It's working fine for me over here. Just be sure you're using the daily build of ScummVM (link on their download page). The game isn't recognised (yet) but you can just click "Add Anyway". Works like a charm! (And the easiest way for me on my Macbook)

Hello Hobbes,

Thank you very much for the tip. You are right. I had downloaded latest git source, compiled it and it recognizes KQ4Retold out of box :)

« Reply #61 on: 06 Jun 2021, 13:46 »
King's Quest IV Retold 1.0.3 is out!

This should be the final patch for the time being. Same as before, it mostly contains minor fixes and quality-of-life improvements. The biggest changes of this patch concern night scenes: a number of unfinished night backgrounds from the original game have been reworked, the script responsible for spawning animals at night now behaves more consistently with the original game, and there is now a new ambient track for night woods.

Complete changelog (may contain minor spoilers if you haven't played the game yet):
Changelog: ShowHide
[ + ] Added an alternative hotkey for toggling between Walk and the last cursor mode
[ + ] Mouse in now automatically switched to Walk mode after digging to prevent the player from breaking the shovel by accident
[ + ] Added a text pop-up for trying to interact with the fake wall after looking at the portrait but before examining the wall
[ + ] Added mouseover hints for stable gates
[ + ] Added nighttime water animations for Genesta's island
[ + ] Added nighttime graphics for the ogres' house
[ + ] Added a new ambient track that plays in the forest at night
[ + ] Added a music track that plays when Rosella gets caught by the troll
[ + ] Seagulls can now appear on the screen with the fisherman's shack
[ + ] Improved goon pathfinding when using diagonal movement hotkeys
[ + ] Rosella now always faces the board before picking it up
[ - ] Fixed a bug where Rosella would get stuck on the eastern stairs in Lolotte's castle
[ - ] Fixed a bug that would sometimes prevent the player from combining inventory items
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the hen would not appear in Lolotte's storage room
[ - ] Fixed a bug where Rosella would fall upwards after trying to pick the bow from the opposite side of the pool
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the troll would appear even if the game is already over (e.g. if the player extinguishes the lantern immediately after entering a new screen)
[ - ] Fixed a bug where the message warning the player about Lolotte's goons would permanently stay on the screen
[ - ] Fixed a graphical bug where Rosella would move backwards while on the stairs
[ - ] Fixed a typo in the text pop-up for examining the locket
[ - ] Slightly tweaked several backdrops (waterfall, south of the waterfall, organ room, western stairs in Lolotte castle, Lolotte's throne room)
[ - ] Made major updates to all nighttime and some daytime backdrops for Genesta's island
[ - ] Tweaked walkable area and walk-behind masks for the northeastern and southeastern sections of Genesta's island
[ - ] Tweaked walkable area, walk-behind, and hotspot masks for Cupid's pool
[ - ] Increased the size of several hotspots (crypt ladder, Lolotte in bed, Genesta in bed)
[ - ] Updated the ambient track used in the swamp
[ - ] Fall sounds no longer get cut off on room transitions
[ - ] Certain decorative birds and fish no longer appear at night
[ - ] Rosella can no longer die from exposure at night
[ - ] Slightly increased the maximum distance from which Cupid can be startled

I don't know when (or if) a MacOS port of this patch will be ready, however, from what I understand, Mac users can still play the latest patch under ScummVM. The Mac port is out!
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2021, 13:00 by DrSlash »

« Reply #62 on: 12 Jun 2021, 12:56 »
Hey everyone! Just a quick update: King's Quest IV Retold 1.0.3 is now available for MacOS! As usual, all download links can be found on the game's AGS database page. Once again, huge thanks to edenwaith for his help with the port!

ToeKnee

• If you are not flexible, you break!
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with play testing
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with story design
« Reply #63 on: 15 Jun 2021, 01:32 »
Oooooh, happy dance.
I can't wait to re-try this. Loved all of the KQ series and first played this one just over 30 years ago!!! - the week it was released
Great job. re-living my younger days is so nice!
If it’s not broken, let’s fix it till it is...!

« Reply #64 on: 16 Jun 2021, 22:45 »
Thanks a lot for the update. It's beautiful, although I must admit that I found the swan pond a little disappointing (should have expected that the flowers will look brown at night...). But particularly th facade of Genesta's palace looks amazing.
Will you be updating the message in the bottle?

« Reply #65 on: 17 Jun 2021, 02:22 »
Oooooh, happy dance.
I can't wait to re-try this. Loved all of the KQ series and first played this one just over 30 years ago!!! - the week it was released
Great job. re-living my younger days is so nice!
Thanks a lot for the update. It's beautiful, although I must admit that I found the swan pond a little disappointing (should have expected that the flowers will look brown at night...). But particularly th facade of Genesta's palace looks amazing.
Thanks, both of you!

Will you be updating the message in the bottle?
Yes, I still have it on my to-do list, but right now there are more important matters that I need to focus on. Updating the message requires some time (as I would need to play some of the games I haven't played yet, select the games to be included in the message, get a thumbs up from their authors, and write the messages), but it is pretty high on my list, so there is a good chance that I will do it for the next patch whenever/if it comes out.

« Reply #66 on: 17 Jun 2021, 18:46 »
There had been several reports that MediaFire links don't work for some people, so I've added mirror links to the game's AGS database page. Huge thanks to Steven Alexander (aka Blackthorne) of Infamous Quests for providing hosting space for the mirrors!

« Reply #67 on: 23 Aug 2021, 23:13 »
I am SO, SO HAPPY about this. At least I can play this game without the constant fear and dread of dead ends *¬* And as english is not my native language, the parser thingie won't be a major obstacle for me anymore. Thank you, THANK YOU for this game! I have been waiting something like this for years <3 <3 <3 ;_;

Frodo

• Welcome down... to my Planet Hell!
    • Frodo worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Frodo worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #68 on: 29 Aug 2021, 12:17 »
Not played much of it yet, but I have to say, it looks amazing!   :cheesy:

I've always been a huge fan of the King's Quest games, and this point & click version is such a treat. 
And all the background sounds - the waves, the seagulls, the unicorn neighing, the waterfall - it's all such a delight. 

Thankyou DrSlash.   :grin: