can not use Vietnamese in AGS

Started by phungngo, Sun 09/05/2021 09:26:47

Previous topic - Next topic

phungngo

Is there any way to help me use Vietnamese in AGS ( á ạ à ã ả ắ ằ ấ ầ ẩ ẫ Æ¡ Æ° Ä' )  because I have found possible options but with a newcomer like me I am in vain with AGS.
By the way, I was told this awkwardness because I was quite surprised with the storytelling game stream where the most important thing is the language support that AGS does the worst of the tools I know. I was really disappointed with the AGS language support.

FormosaFalanster

Hello - you can use Vietnamese!

But you need to change the font.

It is the same with every language that has diacritics (the special letters). You need to change the font, with a font that includes these letters.

If you look for free fonts online, you can find many with all the diacritics you need.

Then you just import it in AGS.

So, Vietnamese is easy to do. It's harder to do Chinese characters  :-D

Crimson Wizard

AGS is a very old program and does not properly support Unicode (at least not yet).

There are various workarounds for using non-Latin characters in your game. One is to use a font compatible with the ANSI codepage that corresponds to Vietnamese.
According to Wikipedia, this is codepage Windows-1258: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1258

If you scroll bit lower you will see a character table:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1258#Character_set

You need to have a font that is set up like that.
This is as much as I can tell at the moment. I don't know if such fonts are easy to find. In theory it should be possible to create one by taking any Unicode font and copying characters into different slots, according to the table.

phungngo

The AGS script language is not compatible with any encoding that I may have to display Vietnamese. The problem is that the AGS is too old. I fumbled in vain that I thought language was not what was stopping me from getting to AGS. Although the fonts support Vietnamese, AGS script language is not compatible with any encoding that I give. It's really a big deal for AGS to reach users like me.  :~(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk