Adventure-like MUD-games?

Started by Snarky, Wed 12/05/2021 13:02:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Echoing another ongoing thread, has anyone here ever played, or do you know of, a MUD/MUSH/MUX/etc. (that's "Multi-User Dungeon/Shared Hallucination/X"; a kind of text-based multiplayer RPG) that leans towards adventure-style gameplay? I'd like to give one a try, but I'm not that interested in hacking at random mobs or in super-elaborate immersive role-playing. Light IF-style puzzles in a multiplayer setting is more what I'm looking for.

Danvzare

The only games that come to mind is the old Lucasfilm game "Habitat", and of course the Myst sequel "Uru". But those obviously aren't what you're looking for (especially since they both have graphics, and MUDs don't).
I know it's not multiplayer, but The Hobbit (the old text adventure game originally released on the ZX Spectrum) was very open ended. It puts modern games like Skyrim to shame with the emergent gameplay it has. It's about the closest you're going to get to a singleplayer adventure game MUD experience in my opinion.
But a true MUD adventure game... sorry, I can't think of any.

Snarky

Some googling brought up this reddit post about MUDs with alternative gameplay formats. The suggestions offered (with caveats that they're not all entirely combat-free, which is fine) were:

Discworld MUD
New Moon
LabMUD

I guess I'll try out those.

heltenjon

I remember fooling around and having a good time with Discworld MUD sometime in the nineties. I never played it seriously, only on study breaks, but remember that it was fun exploring Ankh-Morpork (having read the books will probably enhance the enjoyment a lot). I vaguely remember that my friend tried attacking an old lady with a handbag. It turned out she was the most dangerous character in the city.  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk