The End of Windows 10 has a date

Started by eri0o, Sat 19/06/2021 13:57:28

Previous topic - Next topic

eri0o

2025, apparently: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-enterprise-and-education

And we have leaks of what may be Windows 11.
https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/22535123/microsoft-windows-11-leak-screenshots-start-menu

Not sure of what to make of it. I feel Windows 10 was just yesterday but apparently it was 6 years ago, this would mean that the sunset date gives it a 10 year lifespan, roughly what we had with XP. I feel I am getting old.

If someone just want to go to the past, I found something fun: https://github.com/microsoft/winfile

fernewelten

They told us that Windows 10 would be the last edition to be released; after that, it would simply be updated and upgraded forever and ever.

I found that claim hard to believe at that time, and ... well, I suppose ...

Now, I might be wrong _this_ time, but what I foresee is that this so-called "Windows 11" will still be 90 % to 95 % "Windows 10" under the hood, only with some fresh visual sugar sprinkled on top. But this time, with mandatory Microsoft accounts so that they can de-anonymize and track their users the better, and sooner or later with mandatory ads right on the screen real estate.

eri0o

The ads do already appear in the leaked version. But the leaked version did had a explicit option to use an offline account - I think though the deal is off if you ever login in Edge.

It appears there will be a new ui toolkit that should be better suited for it.

I am curious what will break in compatibility between current and future version of Windows. A bit anxious about this actually. June 24 the first information on it will be released officially.

I remember I did not had a good time with Win10 developer builds, if turns out it's just a new desktop environment over windows 10, then hopefully it will be less buggy.

There's also rumors that Windows store will no longer require any packaging at all, and instead the Windows API (don't know which) will be upgraded to handle things that previously were only possible through packaged apps.

LimpingFish

I hate, really hate, OS upgrades. I was perfectly happy on Vista (yes, Vista!) until a bunch of programs stopped supporting it. So I upgraded to Windows 8...and then a bunch of programs stopped supporting it. So, against my better judgement, I upgraded to Windows 10 (fairly recently). And I'll stay on Windows 10 for as long as I can.

To be honest, I'd still be happy to use XP or Vista.
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Danvzare

Quote from: fernewelten on Sat 19/06/2021 16:55:27
They told us that Windows 10 would be the last edition to be released; after that, it would simply be updated and upgraded forever and ever.

I found that claim hard to believe at that time, and ... well, I suppose ...

Now, I might be wrong _this_ time, but what I foresee is that this so-called "Windows 11" will still be 90 % to 95 % "Windows 10" under the hood, only with some fresh visual sugar sprinkled on top. But this time, with mandatory Microsoft accounts so that they can de-anonymize and track their users the better, and sooner or later with mandatory ads right on the screen real estate.
I was just about to say the exact same thing. I guess only time will tell though.
But hey, who knows, maybe Windows 11 will be the new Windows 7, and just be solid improvements all around.  :-D
(I seriously doubt it, but we can always hope.)

fernewelten

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 20/06/2021 02:57:06
I hate, really hate, OS upgrades.

Well, I hate, hate, hate ads in my work environment and go to great lengths to ban them with all my might.

I. do. not. want. to be interrupted and distracted by off-topic non-issues when I'm busy concentrating. Even less so when they are even noisy or flickering or moving, which is usually the case nowadays. The one reason that I am still resisting to use smartphones, even in 2021, is that they make it so impossible to stay away from advertising in that universe. Aaargh!

Crimson Wizard

Well, and I'm still using Windows 7 at home...

But I'm a backwards person, still cannot get used to modern phones with touch screens. Everytime I launch Android I forget how do I "swipe" into the main menu and turn on camera instead.
Don't know, maybe it's just me, but I feel these interfaces are just badly designed.

Matti

Same for me  :-D I still do not own a smartphone and maybe I never will, as long as they still sell regular/old cellphones. If I try to do something on a friend's smartphone I usually fail as I'm not used to the interface at all.

Advertising is one of several issues that keep me from using smartphones.

Babar

I'm confused as to what advertisements have to do with smartphones? I don't get ads on my smartphone?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Danvzare

Quote from: fernewelten on Sun 20/06/2021 17:30:54
The one reason that I am still resisting to use smartphones, even in 2021

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sun 20/06/2021 17:36:13
till cannot get used to modern phones with touch screens. Everytime I launch Android I forget how do I "swipe" into the main menu and turn on camera instead.
Don't know, maybe it's just me, but I feel these interfaces are just badly designed.

Quote from: Matti on Mon 21/06/2021 12:48:39
I still do not own a smartphone and maybe I never will, as long as they still sell regular/old cellphones.

Holy crap! And here I thought that I was the only one.  :-D
I mean, I do have a smartphone now (someone gave it to me, since they were getting a new one). But the only "smart" features I use on it, is the ability to read comics I download onto it, and being able to browse the internet whenever I'm connected to Wi-Fi (I use pay-as-you-go because screw contracts). Other than it being much easier to type on once you get used to it, it's not really the "necessity" everyone seems to make it out to be.

But it feels so good to know that I'm not the only one resistant to change.  :-D

Quote from: Babar on Mon 21/06/2021 13:10:59
I'm confused as to what advertisements have to do with smartphones? I don't get ads on my smartphone?
Probably the apps. You can find countless free programs on a PC. But on a smartphone, if it's free (even if the PC version is 100% free), it's gonna have ads (it's a little weird actually). And blocking ads on your internet browser isn't as straightforward as it is on a PC either.
At least, that's my guess. Unless there are phones out there that have pop-up ads built into the OS like Windows 10.

eri0o

QuoteUnless there are phones out there that have pop-up ads built into the OS like Windows 10.

Not exactly phones but there's the Amazon Fire family of devices (in case you were wondering).

Babar

Quote from: Danvzare on Mon 21/06/2021 14:49:29
Probably the apps. You can find countless free programs on a PC. But on a smartphone, if it's free (even if the PC version is 100% free), it's gonna have ads (it's a little weird actually). And blocking ads on your internet browser isn't as straightforward as it is on a PC either.
At least, that's my guess. Unless there are phones out there that have pop-up ads built into the OS like Windows 10.
Even before I rooted my android phone, I never logged in with my google account, and only used FOSS apps, so had no experience with ads. I've rooted my phone since, and avoiding apps and all manner of tracking is even easier than it was before.
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Cassiebsg

QuoteBut it feels so good to know that I'm not the only one resistant to change.

Considering what AGS was meant to be, it doesn't surprise me, that "we" cluster in here.  (laugh)
I do not have a smart phone either (though, I guess it's half-smart, as it does have touch-screen and can run java apps... but only because my previous phone broke and I got this one for free). I could technically moved to a smart phone if I wanted, since my husband changed his and his old is just collecting dust now. But I see no reason to increase my "phone" bill and add to my internet dependency. But it's starting to get harder by the day to stay without one with so many crap going "digital only".
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Khris

I'm a "Windows Insider" and already running a preview build of Windows 11. I like it so far, except for a few annoying details. For instance when I press ⊞+P to extend my display to my TV, I can suddenly no longer use the arrow keys to move the selection...!?

Also, the "Recommended" section of the new Start Menu is just a list of recently opened files and extremely useless despite taking up half the space. Still better than the tiles though. :P

Danvzare

Quote from: Khris on Fri 02/07/2021 06:46:34
I'm a "Windows Insider" and already running a preview build of Windows 11. I like it so far, except for a few annoying details. For instance when I press ⊞+P to extend my display to my TV, I can suddenly no longer use the arrow keys to move the selection...!?

Also, the "Recommended" section of the new Start Menu is just a list of recently opened files and extremely useless despite taking up half the space. Still better than the tiles though. :P
Overall, would you say that it's better than Windows 10, on par, or worse?  ???

eri0o

I use a debloater in my Win10

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

I will wait until either this one updates or a new one manifests before moving in, for now I will only use it in VMs.

I am curious to see what has been deprecated, haven't found a list of that online.

Khris

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 02/07/2021 11:14:01Overall, would you say that it's better than Windows 10, on par, or worse?  ???
The changes I've seen/noticed so far are all cosmetic. And I can still add an offline account if I want.
They still force you to use Edge for searches and widget clicks. So it's as bad/good as Windows 10 I'd say.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk