La Maleta

Started by Potajito, Fri 21/05/2021 19:13:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Potajito

Hi everyone!

La maleta is a short point and click game set in the Canary Islands in the 1980s, when the NATO referendum was taking place and the social movements that spanned. It is based on the poem "La maleta", by Pedro Lezcano.

Here is the itch.io link

The game is available in Spanish and English. It uses a very local language that I've tried to keep in the English translation, so, if you don't know some words, I encourage you to search them and learn about them. You can change the language in the main menu or using the setup tool that comes in the package.

Once you have finished the game, the option to listen to the full poem becomes available in the main menu.

It's a very short game, around 15 minutes, but it's been a labor of love from me, where I've learned a lot (not just the engine itself, but also the pixel art painting and so many things that I can't even remember).

Also, it's been build with the latest AGS Alpha, so you can experience the mighty SDL2 sound by yourself!

It would be great if you can play it and let me know what you think :D Also, I wanted to thank everyone that develops the engine, makes modules and just writing here, it's great!

eri0o

Hey, your game looks good! Also, your dad has a cool voice!!!  :-D

I played it but I am a bit stuck early on
Spoiler
I need to grab the picture to put on the luggage, but my mom doesn't let me, I made her coffee, but she still forbid me picking the picture, is there other way to distract her?
[close]

Potajito

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 21/05/2021 23:24:35
Hey, your game looks good! Also, your dad has a cool voice!!!  :-D

I played it but I am a bit stuck early on
Spoiler
I need to grab the picture to put on the luggage, but my mom doesn't let me, I made her coffee, but she still forbid me picking the picture, is there other way to distract her?
[close]

Thanks for playing! And thank you for all you do for this community!
Spoiler
Nope, that's it, you just have to time it!
[close]

heltenjon

How cool to build a game on a poem! That made for a totally different experience than a normal narrative. Very nice. I agree with Eri0o that the voice work is very good.

Please also add the game to the database. (Down in the right corner on the games page.) And why not add La Carbonara, as well?  ;)

Potajito

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 21/05/2021 23:55:09
How cool to build a game on a poem! That made for a totally different experience than a normal narrative. Very nice. I agree with Eri0o that the voice work is very good.

Please also add the game to the database. (Down in the right corner on the games page.) And why not add La Carbonara, as well?  ;)
Nice! Thanks for playing! I'll pass the message to my dad and his voice :)

Aaaand, both games added to the DB :D

Laura Hunt

Being a canariona myself, and having packed that suitcase decades ago in search of a better future, this hit really close to home. Literally. The accent, the mother's way of talking, Las Canteras, el Salcai...

Maybe one day I will also pack my maleta again for good, take a guagua to Tejeda, look down from the Roque Nublo to Agaete, from San Bartolomé de Tirajana to Maspalomas, from Santa Brígida to Valsequillo, and say "I'm back home". One day, maybe.

Thanks for making this.

heltenjon

Are there more than two endings to La Carbonara?

Potajito

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 23/05/2021 18:07:26
Are there more than two endings to La Carbonara?
Just two! Technically, it's a "multiple ending game". (Sorry :P )

Quote from: Laura Hunt on Sat 22/05/2021 11:15:27
Being a canariona myself, and having packed that suitcase decades ago in search of a better future, this hit really close to home. Literally. The accent, the mother's way of talking, Las Canteras, el Salcai...

Maybe one day I will also pack my maleta again for good, take a guagua to Tejeda, look down from the Roque Nublo to Agaete, from San Bartolomé de Tirajana to Maspalomas, from Santa Brígida to Valsequillo, and say "I'm back home". One day, maybe.

Thanks for making this.

Thanks a lot, Laura! I loved this comment and showed it to everyone I could think of :D It's one of the things what I wanted to convey, and it's worth even more coming from you :D Thanks again!

newwaveburritos

I really like these kinds of thoughtful games.  It's really touching and I think you did a great job capturing an atmosphere in an artful manner.  Great job on getting it out there.

Pogwizd

I really enjoyed the story in this game. I must say that I wish more games were made with the purpose of telling something about other parts of the world : )

Spoiler

Personally, I would love to see a bit more puzzles, but that's me : )

I don't know if you noticed but upon completion the game generates a warning file with information that some of the dynamic sprites don't get deleted.
[close]

Potajito

Quote from: newwaveburritos on Wed 26/05/2021 01:25:04
I really like these kinds of thoughtful games.  It's really touching and I think you did a great job capturing an atmosphere in an artful manner.  Great job on getting it out there.
Thank you for playing and for your words, it means a lot :D

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 18:31:53
I really enjoyed the story in this game. I must say that I wish more games were made with the purpose of telling something about other parts of the world : )

Spoiler

Personally, I would love to see a bit more puzzles, but that's me : )

I don't know if you noticed but upon completion the game generates a warning file with information that some of the dynamic sprites don't get deleted.
[close]

Thank you! About the puzzles, I was in the verge of removing them all, but I keep them because I think they add a bit to the story, and they are not puzzles for the sake of puzzling.
About the warnings that you get, I guess that you downloaded the game some time ago and got to play it now? Because that issue should be fixed in the most up to date build (at least it is for me).
Thank you all again :D

Pogwizd

Quote from: Potajito on Mon 07/06/2021 11:30:32

About the warnings that you get, I guess that you downloaded the game some time ago and got to play it now? Because that issue should be fixed in the most up to date build (at least it is for me).

I downloaded the game yesterday in the morning from itch.io. Not sure if this helps, but after finishing the game I played the poem, too. 

selmiak

this is a well done story but I am missing the puzzles...

Syos Spaniel

A very well done game. The inclusion of history and poetry is very cool!

Potajito

Quote from: selmiak on Fri 02/07/2021 18:12:05
this is a well done story but I am missing the puzzles...

Thanks! I didn't want to include many puzzles, in fact, I deleted a couple, and only left the ones that could help understand the context a bit more.

Quote from: Syos Spaniel on Mon 16/08/2021 22:04:50
A very well done game. The inclusion of history and poetry is very cool!

Lovely! Thanks for playing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk