Are you up to playing dozens of great adventures?

Started by fernewelten, Fri 21/05/2021 22:06:40

Previous topic - Next topic

fernewelten

Adventure Jam 2021 is about to end. One and a half dozen games have already been registered.

So if you're wondering what would be a great way of spending all your leisure time on Pentecost, have a look here.

Stupot

Some great looking titles there.

I still don’t get why they limited voting to only people who entered. I’m sure a lot more people would bother playing the games if they were able to vote.

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: Stupot on Sat 22/05/2021 01:02:20

I still don’t get why they limited voting to only people who entered. I’m sure a lot more people would bother playing the games if they were able to vote.

I wondered the same thing. We had already several people telling us they would have been voting if they could. It doesn't make much sense but sadly we can only follow their rules   :-\

Stupot

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Sat 22/05/2021 01:10:27

I wondered the same thing. We had already several people telling us they would have been voting if they could. It doesn't make much sense but sadly we can only follow their rules   :-\
Yeah. The first year or two was open for anyone to vote but after that they limited it. When I asked why they just said it had been chaos.

fernewelten

AFAICS it's not that closed.

Here's what I read in their FAQ:
Anyone with a Game Jolt account can give your game an out-of-five rating on your game's page. This will, in part, effect how high your game appears on Game Jolt's website in terms of popularity. This means more people will see your game, whether they participated in Adventure Jam or not. Adventure Jam participants will be able to vote on each other's games ...

So on the one hand, non-participants may not vote, but on the other, they do get the chance to leave a rating or make a comment on the game page.

FormosaFalanster

Apparently there are 31 games in the jam. With fernewelten's and mine, that makes at least two AGS games. I am not sure yet if there are others.

heltenjon

Honza's in, too, with Long in the tooth.

More AGS games: Coffin Valley, All Demons Must Go to Hell, Nadir.

Just now, there were 29 entries. A couple of them are marked as unfinished. (I guess a couple of entrants withdrew in the time between Formosa Falanster's post and mine.)

I've already played Fernewelten's (Thinker) and Formosa Falanster/Lorenzo's (Breakfast on Trappist-1) games, and they are excellent!

FormosaFalanster

That makes 6 games from AGS out of 29!

Assuming all 29 are still competing. I keep hearing on gamejolt that some may not finish. Honestly I hope they do, the more the merrier.

lorenzo

Nice to see other AGSers participating in the game jam! Congratulations to everyone who managed to finish an entry!

Have you played any of the entries?
I finished Nebraska Smith and the Mask of Minkhamanna and it's quite fun. Some nice jokes and good puzzles. Worth playing for 20 minutes of fun!

fernewelten

fernewelten

Honza's has several very nice animations and beautiful graphics.

And I can recommend Lorenzo's and FormosaFalanster's for the graphics and story line, and also for its extent (playing length, game world size).

Stupot

Quote from: fernewelten on Sat 22/05/2021 14:14:26
Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Sat 22/05/2021 03:19:10
AGS games. I am not sure yet if there are others.
There's also this game: Sleuth.
This is an older game. I don’t think Monkey is entering it into this year’s Jam.

heltenjon

Honza's Long in the tooth is one posting in the database away from half-way securing my vote for best AGS Demo at the next award show. Dammit, I want more!  (nod) Great humour and top-notch art and animation.

Honza

I'm loving Telwynium so far, feels like being a nerdy 90s kid and playing Dungeons and Dragons again :). Haven't had a chance to play any of the AGS games yet, but looking forward to it. Trappist and Nebraska Smith have caught my eye in particular.

I assumed it was because it would give too much of an edge to people with established fanbases?

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 22/05/2021 16:20:54
Honza's Long in the tooth is one posting in the database away from half-way securing my vote for best AGS Demo at the next award show. Dammit, I want more!  (nod) Great humour and top-notch art and animation.

Heh, thanks! There is much more substance to the story, what I managed to squeeze out for the jam is just a stub really. That's why I haven't posted it here, hoping to finish the whole thing soon-ish. But yeah, there is more :).

arj0n

I have to play more of the submissions, just finished Telwynium and that one was awesome!

heltenjon

Quote from: Honza on Sat 22/05/2021 22:12:32
Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 22/05/2021 16:20:54

Heh, thanks! There is much more substance to the story, what I managed to squeeze out for the jam is just a stub really. That's why I haven't posted it here, hoping to finish the whole thing soon-ish. But yeah, there is more :).
Looking forward to it! Also, why not add the demo to the database? Only demos added to the database are eligible for "demo of the year" at the AGS awards.

lorenzo

Another game I recommend is A Weekend at Villa Apate. Lots of humour, a big place to explore, some nice mechanics involving changing memories to affect the present, and a crazy plot. It's also quite long.

I've also played Honza's game. There's not much to do yet, unfortunately, but it's a nice teaser for the full game. And that parallax (I think?) effect with the backgrounds, wow! It gives a lot of depth to the scenes. The complete game should be a lot of fun!

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: lorenzo on Sun 23/05/2021 08:26:17

I've also played Honza's game. There's not much to do yet, unfortunately, but it's a nice teaser for the full game. And that parallax (I think?) effect with the backgrounds, wow! It gives a lot of depth to the scenes. The complete game should be a lot of fun!

I played it too and it was a short but great experience! The art and universe are different from what we often see, so that's a big bonus! It has lots of personality!
It has a bit too much unhandled actions but I still look forward for the longer version!

heltenjon

I played Jeffrey Jetsam. It's a snack-sized escape-the-island (about ten minutes playtime) with a nice, casual difficulty level. The voice work adds lots to the humour of the game.

Edit: Currently stuck on IMAGinE. That's a Visionaire game, very polished graphics-wise. According to a comment on the site, it's solvable, so I'll stick with it. Fun, but difficult. The plot involves transporting from painting to painting, opening up for all sorts of scenarios and graphic styles.

FormosaFalanster

Someone posted an interesting graph showing what game engines were used for entries in the jam:

AGS is the second-most used engine, at almost 20% of all games. Second only to Unity which towers at 25% and if you add the Unity/Powerquest you reach almost 42% of all games made with an Unity engine of sorts.

After AGS the only ones coming close are Godot and Visionaire at 6.5% each.

This kinda shows how AGS is still popular nowadays amongst indie devs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk