Breakfast on Trappist-1

Started by FormosaFalanster, Sat 22/05/2021 14:16:48

Previous topic - Next topic

FormosaFalanster

The woman you love is a refugee from a destroyed planet. She is lonely and desperate and cannot let go of her lost home. Only you can help her grow out of the trauma and enter a new life with you on Trappist-1.

Will you let Zheny walk away?
On Trappist-1, a planet of perpetual daylight, your countrymen desperately try to re-create the art de vivre of their country. Zheny is a refugee from a devastated planet. If you do not help her, she will leave and face dangers beyond imagination.

"Breakfast on Trappist-1" is a story of love and identity on a foreign planet where cultures intertwine.

Made in two weeks for Adventure Jam 2021.
We have also been offered to enter it for MAGS May 2021 and leave it to the voters to decide if it fits.

The game features:
- An emotional story of love and cross-cultural experience.
- A real exoplanet: the story imagines what would happen in one of the most promising candidates for human exploration, see here.
- A lot of scripted actions: there are as little unhandled actions as possible, and many of your attempts at interacting with hotspots or giving items to characters will result in more storytelling.
- Lorenzo's fantastic original art.

The can be downloaded on its GameJolt page or on its itch.io page.
You can also access it via its AGS database page.

FormosaFalanster: writing, coding.

Lorenzo Boni: art, additional coding.

sthomannch

I enjoyed it a lot. Beautful graphics and a good story line. The riddles were interesting but not interrupting the flow of events, well done.

KyriakosCH

Looks very stylish :) I will dl and play.
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

heltenjon

This is a teamwork that has really paid off. The art is beautiful and atmospheric, and I really like some of the sci-fi ideas, making the world believable and special. I especially liked the stuff about gravity, that the colonies are national and not simply "Earth" colonies, and the solution to the day cycle problem. I hope to see more stories from this universe.  (nod)

fernewelten

By the way, if you want your game translated into German (Germany), I can help out. But I won't be able to start translating before June 1st.

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 23/05/2021 12:07:55
I enjoyed it a lot. Beautful graphics and a good story line. The riddles were interesting but not interrupting the flow of events, well done.

Thanks! It was a very hard work to find the balance. Two years and a half studying the problem of adventure games before starting to make my own has paid, I hope  :-D It was especially challenging because the game is not a big adventure "save the world" type, it's actually rather domestic and personal in its approach, so the puzzles had to make sense while nurturing the feelings you have for the character. Pretty much, each puzzle had to express an act of love. It was hard to come up with!

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 23/05/2021 14:40:16
This is a teamwork that has really paid off. The art is beautiful and atmospheric, and I really like some of the sci-fi ideas, making the world believable and special. I especially liked the stuff about gravity, that the colonies are national and not simply "Earth" colonies, and the solution to the day cycle problem. I hope to see more stories from this universe.  (nod)

Thanks a lot, Lorenzo and I really had a great time working together, to the extent that we opted to do more games, including a much longer one :) But several people told us they liked the universe so I may make other short stories like this one.
Part of the reason why the planets are colonized by specific countries come from the desire to give a voice to other cultures. Sci-fi always have "Earth" colonies but "Earth" equals Anglo-American culture most of the time, so here we wanted to express the culture and lifestyle of overlooked countries. If I do more games in this universe I will try to do it as well for even more cultures, trying to see the diversity of our world spreading accross an equally diverse galaxy would be rewarding!
As per the day and night cycle, it really came as I was reading about the real Trappist-1 planets, it was just fascinating the idea of living on a tidally locked world, I had to find a way to exploit that!

Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 25/05/2021 00:21:31
By the way, if you want your game translated into German (Germany), I can help out. But I won't be able to start translating before June 1st.

That would be awesome! My German is not good enough to translate the whole game. Just message me when you have free time and I'll give you the file for it, there is no hurry! Ironically, stats on Gamejolt show me that Germany is so far the country with the most downloads.

Potajito

Great game! The art is amazing and the music sells the mood really well. I also liked how you introduce the world bit by bit on each "slide".

As for some light criticism, I felt the beginning was a bit rushed, like it needed a bit more introduction to the characters and their motivations, and sometimes I felt that there was too much text going on on some dialogs, sometimes too many choices (maybe having the same amount available but opening and closing them up as you go?) It felt more visual-novel-ish that adventure game in that regard, but that's probably me because I'm not a big fan of those.

Vukul

Just downloaded and played it in a single sitting. Loved it!)
The art is clean, the writing is evocative enough, with some interesting twists around the old space-colony narrative. Loved the personal and emotional vibe as well.
I'd agree with Potajito above, sometimes there were too many text choices, almost all of which, however, just give you more background. It might be better to split them into groups that are given when you re-visit the character (like you say in the tips section, it pays off to talk with people more than once--I really didn't feel the need to). And I always feel strange when I have to "ask the name" of a person you already know) But I see it was a conscious design choice, anyway.

P.S. If the font you are using in the game supports Cyrillic characters, I could do a Russian rendition of it. There's not so much text, and I think I'd be able to find some time to work on it)

eri0o

I really liked the world building in this game, it feels huge!

The arrows interface reminded me of some really old point and clicks that had an interface similar and it brought me memories. But the art of Breakfast on Trappist-1 is much better than any old game, it felt like those expensive graphic novels! Really good!

It's a good experience overall. I think adding voice over would make it even better but it's really good already.

Hobbes

Finished! Erg, erg, erg mooi spel!

It felt like some old-school Dynamix adventure (Herat of China / Rise of the Dragon) done the right way - with some lengthy Gabriel Knight'esque dialogues. The minimal colour palette worked very well for this game, particularly for the final ending shots at credit time. Congrats!

FormosaFalanster

Thanks all for your comments and we are very happy the game is well-received and touching so many people  :)

I'll answer you but first of all two great news. First, the game is now on itch.io, you can find it here.

Second, I did a video trailer for it. To think I actually did movies at some point and I haven't done that in quite a while so I struggled to do that  :-D

Quote from: Potajito on Fri 28/05/2021 09:51:21
Great game! The art is amazing and the music sells the mood really well. I also liked how you introduce the world bit by bit on each "slide".

As for some light criticism, I felt the beginning was a bit rushed, like it needed a bit more introduction to the characters and their motivations, and sometimes I felt that there was too much text going on on some dialogs, sometimes too many choices (maybe having the same amount available but opening and closing them up as you go?) It felt more visual-novel-ish that adventure game in that regard, but that's probably me because I'm not a big fan of those.

In fact, adding more dialogue made it less graphic-novel-ish as it gave the player the opportunity to converse with the characters on their own terms. But for sure, since we only had two weeks to do the game, there are aspects I did not have time to develop the way I wanted: with a bit more time I would have grouped the dialogues by themes like Vukul said to make them easier to track down. I would also have made the name of characters not revealed until they answer your question, but as the game stands, the player knows their names before the playable character does, in fact!

But you all understood the concept of the game right: lots of interactions give more storytelling! It also was intended to make it replayable: if you decide to replay it and do different actions, you'll get more story elements:

Spoiler
Did you try to give every inventory objects to Zheny? She has an answer for almost all of them. Try using the bag of pebbles on the ocean, or on the planets. Try giving the picture of Evergreen to Jacques. Try also to plug the radio on some items!
[close]

Quote from: Vukul on Fri 28/05/2021 11:07:29

P.S. If the font you are using in the game supports Cyrillic characters, I could do a Russian rendition of it. There's not so much text, and I think I'd be able to find some time to work on it)

We use a font that supports diacritics so we can translate the game in Latin languages. But it doesn't support Cyrillic. However, I'm happy to make a completely different build with a different Cyrillic font, that's the least I can do if someone offers to translate the game!

Quote from: eri0o on Fri 28/05/2021 11:52:27
I really liked the world building in this game, it feels huge!

Thanks! "Breakfast on Trappist-1" was originally a short story I wrote. It included much more elements especially trying to turn Belgian folklore into a science-fiction setting. It also hints at other planets and at Taiwanese cultural elements.

I did not intended to write other stories or games based on this universe but I may consider it later, on other planets. Some people asked for it so maybe I will, I'm not sure yet. I don't like sci-fi for the sake of it, so it needs to have a real-life kinda theme behind it. Maybe at some point I'll have a story to tell in another culture and will find that it suits well in a soft science-fiction context like this one, then it can be another planet of this universe!

The arrows interface reminded me of some really old point and clicks that had an interface similar and it brought me memories. But the art of Breakfast on Trappist-1 is much better than any old game, it felt like those expensive graphic novels! Really good!

The first-person perspective, arrows, etc, the gameplay in general, were inspired to me by playing an old game called KGB. It is generally regarded as way too hard, but as I wrote on my blog once, I am still very fond of this game for various reasons. So it's not the exact same gameplay and interface but I think it is the main inspiration I had for the gameplay aspect of this game.

It's a good experience overall. I think adding voice over would make it even better but it's really good already.

Oh I really don't like voices in games, I always mute them  :-D
Quote from: Hobbes on Fri 28/05/2021 13:25:19
Finished! Erg, erg, erg mooi spel!

It felt like some old-school Dynamix adventure (Herat of China / Rise of the Dragon) done the right way - with some lengthy Gabriel Knight'esque dialogues. The minimal colour palette worked very well for this game, particularly for the final ending shots at credit time. Congrats!

Haartelijk dank  :-D I'm glad you liked the final shots, we really worked hard on giving that reward to people for playing, we saw them as very important!

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Fri 28/05/2021 13:42:05
We use a font that supports diacritics so we can translate the game in Latin languages. But it doesn't support Cyrillic. However, I'm happy to make a completely different build with a different Cyrillic font, that's the least I can do if someone offers to translate the game!

I just wanted to mention, you do not have to have separate builds for different languages, as it's possible to replace a font by script everywhere. There were examples of doing this buried in forum threads, but basically you replace the font in Game properties, and GUI controls in a loop. The biggest problem is adjusting the code if you mention font by a script name in some commands (like DrawString) - in which case these may be e.g. replaced by variables.

In case that's too complicated, AGS allows to load font from the disk: all you have to do is to place a font file in the game's folder having same name as the one in your game. Because engine actually prioritizes files on disk to the ones in the package it will hook these fonts up and use in the game.

lorenzo

Thanks a lot for the nice words and feedback! It's really appreciated.
Of course, some parts of the game could some tweaking, but I'm fairly happy with the results, given the time limit of the game jam.

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Fri 28/05/2021 14:40:29
In case that's too complicated, AGS allows to load font from the disk: all you have to do is to place a font file in the game's folder having same name as the one in your game. Because engine actually prioritizes files on disk to the ones in the package it will hook these fonts up and use in the game.
Thanks for the useful information, Crimson Wizard! I didn't know that!

Pogwizd

I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've seen the atmosphere is awesome! For a few reasons (interface, text-based nature and the setting on a strange planet) it reminded me of Dead Dimension. I will try to post a review when I finish it, before this happens I need some help, though...

Spoiler

I got confused as to what happened in the game and I am not sure if I am missing something or the game glitched out on me:

I got the precision screwdriver and took the wristwatch apart, then I gave the watch to the hotel owner, who was supposed to pay for it. But after using the watch with him I lost the watch, but didn't get any new inventory items. I still went to the real-estate agent and tried to buy the old gas station, but she kept saying that I should come back when I've got enough money. When I go back to the hotel owner, though, he is saying the same line about offering to buy the watch from me. The problem is I don't have it anymore : (
[close]

Pogwizd

Spoiler

Ok, my bad. I forgot that there was a credit card representing your money! Funny that despite living in the 21st century and using debit cards every single day, I still expect to see a bag of coins when playing a computer game : P
[close]

lorenzo

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 12:16:57
I haven't finished the game yet, but from what I've seen the atmosphere is awesome! For a few reasons (interface, text-based nature and the setting on a strange planet) it reminded me of Dead Dimension. I will try to post a review when I finish it, before this happens I need some help, though...
I haven't played Dead Dimension, is it an AGS game? I couldn't find it in the database.

I'm happy you managed to solve that problem! Feel free to write if you need help.

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 12:31:58
Spoiler

Ok, my bad. I forgot that there was a credit card representing your money! Funny that despite living in the 21st century and using debit cards every single day, I still expect to see a bag of coins when playing a computer game : P
[close]
Spoiler
"How many pieces of eight do you want for that gas station?" (laugh)
[close]

heltenjon

Here's the thread for Dead Dimension. I suppose it's not been added to the database yet because it's not translated to English yet (?).

lorenzo

Thank you for the link, heltenjon! I want to try it (despite my very basic Spanish), it looks very interesting!
It's by Postmodern Adventures, he probably didn't add the game to the database because he didn't want to get all of the AGS Awards.  ;)

heltenjon

Quote from: lorenzo on Sun 06/06/2021 13:40:00
Thank you for the link, heltenjon! I want to try it (despite my very basic Spanish), it looks very interesting!
It's by Postmodern Adventures, he probably didn't add the game to the database because he didn't want to get all of the AGS Awards.  ;)

Well, that plan nearly failed.  (laugh)

Pogwizd

Quote from: lorenzo on Sun 06/06/2021 13:21:36
I'm happy you managed to solve that problem! Feel free to write if you need help.

Thanks, lorenzo. I didn't have enough time today, but I will try finishing it over the week. If I get stuck again (either for real or due to my clumsiness) I will get in touch.

Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
True. One would need a really big bag of coins to buy a whole gas station : )
[close]

heltenjon

Money joke continued in spoilers:
Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 18:29:37
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]
Spoiler
The fun part is that you could carry the coins with ease, because of the low gravity. Any coin toss could result in a new satelite.
[close]

Pogwizd

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 06/06/2021 19:40:31
Money joke continued in spoilers:
Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 18:29:37
Spoiler

Spoiler
[close]
[close]
Spoiler
The fun part is that you could carry the coins with ease, because of the low gravity. Any coin toss could result in a new satelite.
[close]

Spoiler

Speaking of gravity. The children playing with the paper planes mention that the gravity specifically on Trappist is very low. But, if they were Trappistians (?), would they actually feel the need to highlight that the gravity on Trappist is this or that? I mean for them it would be just gravity, wouldn't it?

I know I am overthinking stuff right now, but I've just downed two Leffes and I really can't stop thinking about it...  : )
[close]

Mandle

I recognized Lorenzo's art from the screen shots immediately. Beautiful as always!

lorenzo

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 06/06/2021 19:40:31
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
Now you're giving us puzzle ideas for a potential sequel. (laugh)
[close]

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 06/06/2021 21:16:40
Spoiler

Speaking of gravity. The children playing with the paper planes mention that the gravity specifically on Trappist is very low. But, if they were Trappistians (?), would they actually feel the need to highlight that the gravity on Trappist is this or that? I mean for them it would be just gravity, wouldn't it?

I know I am overthinking stuff right now, but I've just downed two Leffes and I really can't stop thinking about it...  : )
[close]
Spoiler
Maybe they're just showing off to the grown-up what they have learnt at school about gravity on different planets. ;)
[close]

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 07/06/2021 09:52:59
I recognized Lorenzo's art from the screen shots immediately. Beautiful as always!
Thanks, mate! :cheesy:

Pogwizd

I said I would post a review after finishing the game and I did but only on itch.io. Only now I realised I haven't posted anything here.
So here it goes:

The game has an amazing atmosphere and right from the beginning you start to feel the drama of people living on the planet. I found the image with the cranes and red sky particularly memorable.

As some pointed out, there is plenty of narrative. I believe it's a matter of taste, so it really depends on what you are looking for in an adventure game.

I found the puzzles to be relatively easy, however, they were logical and fun to solve.

To sum up, I enjoyed it a lot : )

lorenzo

Thanks for both your comments (here and on itch), Pogwizd!

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 20/06/2021 17:38:43
As some pointed out, there is plenty of narrative. I believe it's a matter of taste, so it really depends on what you are looking for in an adventure game.
Some of the text could've been "presented" better, especially in some dialogues, but being a jam game there was so little time to fine-tune things! With a week more, some parts could've been edited a bit. But I think Formosa Falanster did a great job with it, especially adding all those extra descriptions when looking at things and giving objects to people!

Syos Spaniel

A short, enjoyable game with a well written story, very nice art, and easy puzzles. I recommend playing it.

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: Syos Spaniel on Wed 01/09/2021 15:11:09
A short, enjoyable game with a well written story, very nice art, and easy puzzles. I recommend playing it.

Glad you like it, thanks :)
If you want to support us you can consider posting such a comment on the game page, or even the game pages on itch.io and gamejolt, as it brings us more players!

selmiak

cool game with great lineart. I recorded a longplay here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28FSMWhusxM

dactylopus

This is a nice, charming game.  Very enjoyable.  Fantastic art.  Thanks!

Syos Spaniel

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Thu 02/09/2021 09:02:45
Quote from: Syos Spaniel on Wed 01/09/2021 15:11:09

Glad you like it, thanks :)
If you want to support us you can consider posting such a comment on the game page, or even the game pages on itch.io and gamejolt, as it brings us more players!

I copied and pasted the comment onto the game page and the itch.io page for the game. Sorry it took me so long. I hope lots more people play this game.

lorenzo

dactylopus: I'm really happy you enjoyed the game! Thank you for your nice words!

Syos Spaniel: thanks a lot for your comments, soon or late it doesn't matter! In fact, I took forever to reply to this thread myself :P

FormosaFalanster

Before we announce our upcoming AGS game (think Breakfast on Trappist-1 but much longer!) we are happy to share a little side-project we did: an illustrated and interactive short story that you can play here for free and in browser.

https://formosafalanster.itch.io/ldoab

Check this out, Lorenzo is still as good as ever:

Enjoy!

heltenjon

I read/played the interactive story, and it was great! You are really good at delving into different cultures and backgrounds. There are also several nice small touches, like how the protagonist changes nicknames for his ex on this phone. Great writing! Lorenzo's art is brilliant as always, but is restricted to locations this time. The illustrations add to the atmosphere, but takes a lesser part in this story than in Breakfast.

Kweepa

Lovely little game! Very evocative. Thank you so much!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk