Thinker

Started by fernewelten, Fri 21/05/2021 16:26:04

Previous topic - Next topic

fernewelten

Hello folks,

I can proudly present a snack-sized sci-fi adventure to you:

Thinker

Meet a robot that lacks a voice but is full of thought and follow his life as he awakes from his crate.
Help him escape his self-chosen isolation and help him struggle to stay charged!

Thinker's signature tune:

Standard BASS interface (right-click: examine things; left-click: interact with things).

Download the game here: https://gamejolt.com/games/Thinker/617947

Hints and tips thread

(Viewers beware: Playthroughs must by nature be full of spoilers! Now that that has been taken care of:)
A list of all the playthroughs that I know of

This is an entry to AdventureJam 2021.
Find the other games of this jam here

What do you think?

heltenjon

I played through this together with my son (7). That is, I played the first room alone, and he watched the second room and helped actively in the third. And he was a good helper, too!  ;-D

I expected this to be over when I had escaped the first room, and was delighted when there turned out to be more. As usual when it's a game from Fernewelten, it's filled to the brim with logic puzzles and strange humour. My favourite is the puzzle where you have to find a way to operate the recharge machine.

The final puzzle was time-consuming and a literal puzzle. I recommend playing it with an eager seven-year-old if you have one around.  (laugh) He was just as good at spotting the patterns as I was. Good game.

fernewelten

Added signature tune.

sthomannch

This was a funny little adventure with nice riddles.
Spoiler

especially the one with the loudspeakers was a brilliant idea
[close]

lorenzo

I enjoyed your game! Puzzles can be hard, but logical. The mail sorting one took me forever! I also liked the battery mechanic.

Graphics are nice and clean, it's all clear and easy to understand. The robot is cute and I liked how he reacted to certain situations.

Congratulations on a very nice entry for the game jam!

Shadow1000

I enjoyed working through the puzzles. The story and graphics pulled everything today. What left me thinking was

Spoiler
the message behind the ending. I am pretty sure that the idea represents that many young people are bursting with enthusiasm and ambition or aspiration to burst out there into the big world and make something of themselves. Fast forward to mid-life and they see life as a repetitive cycle and end up wondering what it's all about and wondering what makes it worth it
[close]

I am interested if others saw this message and whether this was intended or just how I see it :)

fernewelten

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 25/05/2021 04:08:29
the message behind the ending.

Now that you mention it: About a decade ago, I once read a parody of Dr. Seuss on CollegeHumor, “Oh the places you'll actually go!” by Susanna Wolff. It's no longer on the regular Internet but can be found on archive.org:
QuoteThis is it! | This moment, right now, is the youngest you'll be | For the rest of your life! Just wait and just see! ... | On this milestone, people will tell you you're great. | All your friends will hear, too, of their wonderful fate. |

... But just think for a second: Now how can that be? | Not everyone is special, sta-tis-ti-cal-ly. | ... You probably won't starve or anything like that | In fact, in all likelihood, you're going to get fat. | ... But mediocrity is normal. It's what the word means. | So come on, dear kid, just give up on your dreams.

On the other hand, this adventure doesn't need to patter out as pessimistic as all that. It hasn't come to an absolute end yet.

What do you think?
Spoiler
So Thinker has arisen from his crate once already. Who knows? Perhaps he will arise from his crate again and make further attempts at escaping his confinement.
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 25/05/2021 13:06:23
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Tue 25/05/2021 04:08:29
the message behind the ending.
On the other hand, this adventure doesn't need to patter out as pessimistic as all that. It hasn't come to an absolute end yet.

What do you think?
Spoiler
So Thinker has arisen from his crate once already. Who knows? Perhaps he will arise from his crate again and make further attempts at escaping his confinement.
[close]
Spoiler
Perhaps he will need to make another robot to do his work! But then that one will become sentient and so on...and in the end he will inadvertedly be either a prophet or lead the revolution.  (laugh)
[close]

fernewelten

Added a link to the playthroughs that I know of.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk