Older versions of AGS

Started by Wolfina, Sat 15/05/2021 21:48:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfina

I have an OLD OLLLD project from 2.3 version of AGS and I was hoping that someone might still have the AGS 2.3 or even slightly newer, I tried 2.72 which was available to download but it hit a Ton of errors trying to update it

I found this page, but the links are dead and leads to 404s
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/wiki/AGS_Version_history

If anyone has a copy of 2.3 AGS I would greatly appreciate it, thank you for your time

Wolfina

Crimson Wizard

Just in case anyone will be looking for this, here's a torrent link to agsarchives: https://www.agsarchives.com/agsarchives.torrent

The torrent is huge, so make sure to only mark those items for download that you need.
The old engines and editors are found in the "engines" subfolder.

I don't know if it's possible to upgrade a project that old, perhaps it may worth trying to do continious upgrade, version by version.
Most modern version of AGS can definitely load 2.72 projects, and someone reported upgrading from 2.6 too.

Danvzare

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 15/05/2021 22:12:04
I don't know if it's possible to upgrade a project that old, perhaps it may worth trying to do continious upgrade, version by version.
Most modern version of AGS can definitely load 2.72 projects, and someone reported upgrading from 2.6 too.
At the very least you can just export all of the assets, then reimport them all into the newest version, then copy and paste all of the code, fixing any errors that come up.
I did it with the old RON template, because it didn't work for some reason (and I didn't want to use the newest RON template). It's time consuming, but it's always an option.

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Sat 15/05/2021 22:12:04
perhaps it may worth trying to do continious upgrade, version by version.

Definitely. Something like 2.3 --> 2.4 --> 2.5 --> 2.6 --> 2.72 --> 3.2 --> 3.5.

Little things have changed like string --> String and the sound system (AudioChannel instead of just numbered sound files) but they're not too hard to fix, it's worth it.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Monsieur OUXX on Tue 18/05/2021 10:25:06
Little things have changed like string --> String and the sound system (AudioChannel instead of just numbered sound files) but they're not too hard to fix, it's worth it.

I would not really call "string --> String" update a "little thing"... it's a pretty major change, old strings were created and used differently, and with different set of functions.

Newer version of AGS has a set of options that enable old commands, that makes it somewhat easier to update as one can keep some or all of the older scripts.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk