AGS Website Redesign

Started by Hobbes, Sat 29/05/2021 04:30:08

Previous topic - Next topic

tampie85

Sorry to hear it doesn't work in  the browser you want to use.

Thank you  :) I have a website to practice the PHP AGA taught me, but besides that I have no experience in web design. I guess watching professionals for years paid off.

I think I have good news too and managed to fix the splash page on mobile landscape and small devices. Fingers crossed. It'll be in the next release.

tampie85

===== UPDATE =====

I absolutely love your ideas to improve the site (bookmarking, modules/plugin search, proactive reviews, mags, dark theme, etc.).
EDIT:
The redesign is now available in dark theme too. The paths are added in the below mentioned URL. Don't use the menu to navigate, you'll lose the dark theme.

To make sure the redesign doesn't end up in a never ending project, I decided to focus only on existing pages/functionality and put the improvements on a list that can be looked at after initial go live.

And I think I'm finished with the redesign :-D

You still should be able to navigate using the menu, but I also made a list of all pages, and the scenarios I could think of, which gives you a better image:

https://new-site.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/temp-mapping.php

===== HELP WANTED =====

Design Review
Please keep your feedback on the design coming. I validated every page/scenario with W3C HTML validator and looked at it in mobile, tablet and desktop view using Chrome Dev Tools.
Post it in this thread if something looks odd/doesn't work/is unclear on a certain device/browser.

Content review
We would really appreciate if you review the content on the redesign on, i.e.:

• Is it up to date?
  • Is it complete?
  • Does the sequence make sense? (e.g. filter/sort on the search page, or the specs list at the top of the game details page, or the links in the menu/footer)
Please post your suggested changes in this thread.

Images
It would be amazing if someone can help us with creating custom images to make the site look even better. These are the ones I think we need:

• Splash - full screen image with transparency to keep the text readable. Likely need a few versions to make sure it looks good on the most popular screen sizes. (Homepage)
  • AGS Screenshots - Do we want plain screenshots or something fancier like on the current homepage? (Homepage - AGS)
  • Image not found (Search - Game Details)
  • Awards (Game Details - Ratings)
  • Panel/Pick (Game Details - Ratings)
  • User Rating (Game Details - Ratings)
  • Features (AGS)
  • Requirements (AGS)

Looking forward to see the feedback and can't wait to see the site with suitable images!  :-D

eri0o

Tampie85, amazing work! I think this last message of yours should be split into a topic of it's own so there's more focus on what's up to the community to do.

Regarding the mapping, I noticed the legal information may contain a bit of old information, basically on the license of things that comes with AGS, and what comes with AGS is changing with the new SDL based version. There's also non-current information on mp3 patents that have now expired. Is it possible to pickup the data from that page from a wiki or something ? I could update the license/legal information in this new page. The page also appears to have a mix of info from AGS was closed source there.

AGA

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 24/06/2021 17:01:49
Tampie85, amazing work! I think this last message of yours should be split into a topic of it's own so there's more focus on what's up to the community to do.

Regarding the mapping, I noticed the legal information may contain a bit of old information, basically on the license of things that comes with AGS, and what comes with AGS is changing with the new SDL based version. There's also non-current information on mp3 patents that have now expired. Is it possible to pickup the data from that page from a wiki or something ? I could update the license/legal information in this new page. The page also appears to have a mix of info from AGS was closed source there.

Makes sense to make it editable.  I'm certainly planning to have some pages draw their content from the wiki (when I get around to implementing those pages).  I think we should keep the existing legal info as an archive, if only because we still offer the last CJ-made version as a download; we'd make it clear it's not the up to date licence though, and have a separate area for the current licence.

tampie85

Quote from: eri0o on Thu 24/06/2021 17:01:49

Thanks! Yes please on creating the legal page on the Wiki, then it'll be ready to pull in. I'll change the current page to make clear it it only applicable for Chris' latest version (I wasn't aware that that was the case).

Ali

The remodelling looks great. If this is the right place for feedback - I can't get the "This site uses cookies to enhance user experience" popup to go away on Chrome/Windows 10. Clicking OK doesn't do anything.

EDIT: Sorry!

AGA

Quote from: Ali on Fri 25/06/2021 22:27:48
The remodelling looks great. If this is the right place for feedback - I can't get the "This site uses cookies to enhance user experience" popup to go away on Chrome/Windows 10. Clicking OK doesn't do anything.

That hasn't been implemented yet, as so far this is just about the styling.

Crimson Wizard

Something reminded me, as there's a page with Resources, here's a list of open-sourced AGS games we were gathering a while ago:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50980.0

Crimson Wizard

Don't know if mentioned before, but when adding your game to the database I can only choose resolution from a very short list of presets, probably dating back to pre-open source engine era.

It would be nice if this is resolved in the new site.

tampie85

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 06/07/2021 20:37:03
Don't know if mentioned before, but when adding your game to the database I can only choose resolution from a very short list of presets, probably dating back to pre-open source engine era.

It would be nice if this is resolved in the new site.

That's a good point. Do you have any idea what the most common resolutions are?

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: tampie85 on Tue 06/07/2021 20:42:09
That's a good point. Do you have any idea what the most common resolutions are?

Well, there's a bunch of presets in AGS editor where you choose game resolution, but it may be virtually anything, so I think it should have an option to type arbitrary numbers too.

tampie85

Would you mind listing the default presets here? I never used the editor. We can then make sure that those are at least added. Making it a free format will be a future step.

Crimson Wizard

Here they are:
https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags/blob/master/Editor/AGS.Editor/GUI/CustomResolutionDialog.cs#L30

But now I realized they are missing another commonly used one 320x180. added...

tampie85

Hello all!

Small update on the new website. AGA is doing an amazing job and I'm very enthusiastic about the result so far and can't wait to show it to you! It still might take a while; it's a lot of work!
But we haven't forgotten about it!

We could use some help from Graphic Artists, so if you're interested, please reach out!

More details here:
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59852

AGA

We now have a new version of the forums (SMF 2.1) that's ready for testing.  As well as a lot of new features and bug fixes, we have new responsive (mobile-friendly) light and dark themes that should blend in well with the design of the work-in-progress new site's design.

Is anyone interested in helping us to test this?  Please post here if you are, and I'll send you the details!

Kastchey

Stupot

I use the forum primarily on quite an old phone (iPhone SE 1) and the formatting of some more recent sites and apps is often a little off.  I presume you wouldn’t want me reporting on every little such issue as it’s my problem for having such an old phone. But I’m willing to have a play around and try to find some other types bugs and issues.

Pax Animo

More than happy to help out with testing.
Misunderstood

cat

One thing I noticed: While the logo colours and fonts are totally fine, the gradient around it looks terrible in dark theme. Also on light theme it might look better (at least more modern) without that glow. Can you link to the highest available resolution of this logo? Someone (worst case me) could have a go at cleaning it up.

Of course, we could also make a thread for creating a new logo (that uses the same colours to fit the new page design).

Frodo

Quote from: cat on Wed 15/06/2022 13:41:58
Also on light theme it might look better (at least more modern) without that glow.

I actually love the glow.  It makes it stand out.   :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk