I rented a boat

Started by eri0o, Thu 01/04/2021 15:08:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Creamy

QuoteThe controls mostly sucks, outside of other reasons, because you can't look up and down, only to the sides.
The controls are not so bad. You couldn't do that either in the original Wofenstein or Doom games and nobody complained :P   

Rik_Vargard

Well this was something different. I needed some moments to get into the concept. After that I have to say it's impressive to make something like this in AGS. I wouldn't know where to start to try and understand how you made this.
So yeah, graphics are complicated: they don't look the same from far and then up close and it's even more complicated when moving while everything is like being calculating and somehow glitchy; you explained it's a resolution thing so I get it and it's still impressive.

I am completely stunned by how you managed to create this little game in AGS.
So many questions and no words. Well, stunned like for three rounds. (laugh)
So, just wait, they're coming :P

Also, based on what I read on this topic about the game experience with all the puzzles,  I feel like i had an unexpected way out (I know there are multiple endings - perhaps I found the easy one :P )
Spoiler

I went through the cave to the lake (I contacted her twice) , then back to the valley and right down the river, climbed the mountain and then I saw the balloon so i went back to the valley and then voilà. I got out. So no puzzle solving, nothing but just running to places. I'm telling you because don't know if this one is one of the supposed possible endings  :P
[close]

eri0o

Thanks Rik_Varguard! The game source code (on GitHub) is linked in the first post if you are interested. :)

Spoiler
about the ending, the game has an additional one. It also has three caves and two usable inventory items. So if you found and used all that, you will get the additional one!
[close]

Rik_Vargard

Quote from: eri0o on Mon 14/03/2022 17:31:33
Thanks Rik_Varguard! The game source code (on GitHub) is linked in the first post if you are interested. :)

Spoiler
about the ending, the game has an additional one. It also has three caves and two usable inventory items. So if you found and used all that, you will get the additional one!
[close]

Yeah and it was, as expected, way above my understanding. (laugh)

Buuut (!!!) There was that one line that I understood and that made me discover that you can activate and deactivate hotspots (and so I tried regions) and it all works.
Just for that, it's a win, a new "tool" that I can use to spice things up.

So just for that one: Thanks a lot for sharing the source code! (nod)

.M.M.

Wow, playing your game was amazing experience! So far, I got only the first ending, but I've stumbled upon some weird stuff as well, so I think I have an idea where to start for the next playthrough.  :)

Things that made it harder for me:

• The flickering of the scene while moving: I get that it's probably unavoidable, but it still made my head hurt a bit.
  • The unability of looking up or down: it made the descent from the hill a bit harder, and it could make exploring feel more natural.

The stuff I love about the game:

• The 3D environment together with the color choice: it made the whole experience feel like being in a dream.
  • The sound: sometimes it tends to be overlooked (often by me when I'm working on something  :-D ), but it's such a cruical part of the atmosphere! Even the fact that you don't hear any voice, just the different sounds of footsteps, adds to the dreamy atmosphere. Also the attention to detail - I've only realized the change of the sound on top of the hill after reading about it here, it just felt so natural.
  • The sea is beautiful. And the combination of the sound of the waves together with the animation!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk