Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The winner of MAGS June is:

Belly of the Beast by Slasher.
Well done sir.

Into the Breach

Topic set by: Slasher
Deadline: June 30

Definition: Used with step/leap/jump (etc.) to indicate providing help that is badly needed, such as by doing a job when there is no one else available to do it. E.g "He stepped into the breach when the company needed new leadership."

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

Who's going into the breach this month?   (laugh)

EDIT:  Have my Title: Belly of the beast....

stylez75

would love to group with another user on this project.. I've got the basic plot and art style down..

I hope to submit it before the deadline.. but here is a pic on the title CorkScrew

but you do get to use a high-power mirror to blast the bouncer's face with..

Slasher

stylez75: Hope you get some help.....

Meanwhile my entry is all mapped out and a good start has been made..

ZapZap

Awesome looking stylez75!
I might try to participate this month, I'm thinking sth Phoenix Wright-like called ProBono...
I'll post a bit of art if it takes off
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

Slasher

The belly of the beast!

"The King asked for volunteers to journey to the Dark Castle to rescue six villagers who were seen being taken there! The King has offered 300 gold coins for the villagers safe return. Sir Roger, Sir Richard and Farmer Giles stepped forward. Unfortunately,  Sir Roger and Sir Richard decide not to take the lead and so Farmer Giles leads the way into the belly of the beast!"

Game progress going well....

Slasher

Belly of the beast!

Testing time....

Slasher

Belly of the beast

"The King asked for volunteers to journey to the Dark Castle to rescue six villagers who were seen being taken there! The King has offered 300 gold coins for the villagers safe return. Sir Roger, Sir Richard and Farmer Giles stepped forward. Unfortunately,  Sir Roger and Sir Richard decide not to take the lead and so Farmer Giles leads the way into the belly of the beast!"

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2549--belly-of-the-beast

heltenjon

Good game as usual, Slasher. The minigames were a fun addition.

I hope the others manage to finish, too.  (nod)

Stupot

Is anyone else working on anything? An extension is possible if one is needed.

Stupot

A little less than 24 hours. Is no one going to give Slasher a run for his money?

Stupot

Well. Looks like we only have the one entry.

Belly of the Beast by Slasher is deemed the winner by default.

No voting, but please play the game and rate and comment on the game’s page.

ZapZap

Congrats slasher!
Yeah sorry I couldn't find enough time & inspiration... maybe this month
"Loose ends have a way of strangling you"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk