Pirates!

Started by Eon_Star, Thu 17/06/2021 23:08:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Eon_Star

Pirates! (Updated to Vol.2)

Plot:

Pirates have kidnapped the sister of Liza, a resident of the Shelly Island. She will try to follow the pirates and save her sister. But she needs assistance and some wit...

Screens:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NGw0hs2dPHhxAjBYECLvbxys4kCKjXUx/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rN1yvcuv8a7A3HbJBXNXeVVHcmGVaoRF/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v--7J8ynqjrimocX3snwWPVmq9qmsexI/view?usp=sharing

Gameplay:

Download here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cr3s8N_lPlxVkxFUaybDymqyKeY7fYUg/view?usp=sharing

You can contact me for any question or information needed. Have fun playing.

Shadow1000

Is this game complete? When I downloaded it the title says  "(Demo)".

heltenjon

The information given is indeed that this is a demo of a commercial title. Unfortunately, after playing a bit, I feel it's not ready for commercial release just yet.

The positive first. Graphics are nice. I like that we see the same buildings in the background from other perspectives, which makes the "geography" feel right. The standard is to play in windowed mode, though, and some items are very small. The writing is a bit small for me, as well, but not unreadable.

The design of the game is very linear. This leads to the player wanting to do something, like pick up an object, but not being allowed yet. At times, I know what to do, but I need to find the trigger first. For instance, when I needed to get into the tailor's house:
Spoiler
First, someone needs to tell the main character that there may be something interesting in the house. Then, I need to look at the door so that Lisa knows it's locked. Then I need to talk to yet another person to tell him it's locked before I am allowed to take the key (which I had already located), because Lisa needs that person to tell her to look for a key before she wants to pick it up.
[close]
I think this ought to be changed. The player should be allowed to pick up objects in the order they find them. If not, then Lisa should turn and tell the player what needs to happen next. There are also times when Lisa is sent to gather some items, but it's not specified that she's supposed to pick them up in a certain order. You find out through messages when you try to pick something up in the wrong order. This may be a design choice, but for it to work, Lisa should turn and say something like:
Spoiler
Tools first. I don't want to carry the heavy planks around before I have to.
[close]

Another easy (?) fix: Add some music. The demo is silent. If you want to release this commercially, the buying customer will expect music playing in the background.

There are lots of hotspots that are unhandled. These could be used to fill in the background or tell the story. When Lisa looks at a house, she could say something about it  that adds to the theme, the story or the characters. If she always says "nothing special", why bother having the hotspot? It's not necessary for everything to be important for gameplay, but it could be used to add atmosphere. The buildings are nicely drawn and deserve some descriptive text as well.

When playing in windowed mode, which is the standard, the screen scrolls when you walk near the side. Until then, exits may be hidden from view. It took me a while to find one of the exits from the town square, simply because the exits were located near one another.

When I quit earlier today, I was trying to take a hammer.
Spoiler
Lisa won't take it because a mouse is looking. The mouse is hungry, and I have a cheese. But I can't simply give the cheese to the mouse. Or maybe I can, after I find another trigger.
[close]
I feel this shouldn't be a place a player could get stuck.

I hope this doesn't sound too harsh. It's meant as constructive feedback - areas where the game could be improved. If you had some betatesters, you would get similar responses, but through PM. Best of luck with your game! I'll try to complete the demo.

EDIT: Solved the hammer problem and promptly ran out of things to do. Does the demo have an ending?

Eon_Star

Thanks for the comments. The demo was designed for more educational purposes and it was my second game with AGS. In the meantime I am working on better graphics and about adding some cutscenes to the story. I will enhance the story as well.

Thanks again for playing and commenting on the demo. Because your feedback is important to show me in which way I should make improvements.

Eon_Star

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 18/06/2021 16:20:23

I will release a better version yes it is a demo.

heltenjon

Does the demo have an ending?  ???

Eon_Star

Yes, if you build the vessel. You find the items and tools needed and then you can finish the demo. Search all hotspots and you will find the solution. :-D

Shadow1000

Quote from: Eon_Star on Sat 19/06/2021 20:19:27
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Fri 18/06/2021 16:20:23

I will release a better version yes it is a demo.

The reason I asked is that in about 45 minutes of walking the character around, I accomplished no progress in the game.

As Heltonjohn pointed out, there are dozens of hotspots, items, doors, and so on but all of them say "I can't do that", "I don't want that", "Why should I do that?". I haven't found anything yet that actually does something.

Spoiler
I went to Senior Santos and found out that I need a key. I see a key in the doghouse but can't interact with it
[close]

That's about all I've found. I stopped playing and wondered if maybe the game isn't really playable. Maybe after it's been tweaked and your testers tell you that it's playable and reasonably solvable I'll try again.

Good luck!

sthomannch

Perhaps the right time to open  a new topic in the "hints" thread:

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59229.new#new

I also like the graphics a lot and I enjoy the game (I haven't finished it yet).

And a few more things:

Debug mode seems on

When you take certain objects, the hotspots are still active later
Spoiler

there is still something glimmering in the old hay in the hen house after you took the key
[close]
Inventory
Spoiler

After having traded the fish for the bag, the fish is still in the inventory
[close]

Cassiebsg

If this is a demo, and you will release a "better version", then this isn't really a complete game (I assume you will have a complete game at one point, but this isn't it). IMHO this should be posted in the WIP instead.

Anyway, good luck with production.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Eon_Star

This was my second game. I could not finish it due to health problems. But I wanted to share this to have some different ideas from other people. I will make a new version of "Pirates" but I don't know when it would be finished. Besides it was fun making a game with AGS.

You should try the "look" option to make progress. Poke around. The is finishable. Thanks for all comments.

PS: I uploaded the new version. And if you get stuck I can give you the walktrough.

heltenjon

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 20/06/2021 11:49:51
If this is a demo, and you will release a "better version", then this isn't really a complete game (I assume you will have a complete game at one point, but this isn't it). IMHO this should be posted in the WIP instead.

Agreed. Posting the demo in the games section is fine, but a better place for this thread would be in "Works in Progress", marked "Demo available".

Shadow1000

I downloaded it again and started over.

I am finding what others have reported: even if you know the solution, you can't take the steps to proceed until you've taken specific actions. Sometimes it's more difficult to guess who you need to speak to than it is to figure out the solution.

The dialogue with Mr. Santos appears at the left of the screen rather than in an dialogue section.

The graphics are good and the story sounds like it has potential. I would make the font bigger for hotspots; I'm finding navigating to be difficult as finding an exit is often a pixel hunt.

sthomannch

It was fun to play this demo. And I hope to see a final version. There are a few things to fix, but it is possible to finish the game anyway:
Spoiler

- some dialogues do not make sense after certain actions have been performed - about getting into the tailor's house, it would be better to replace a few lines
- some hotspots are not deactivated after certain things have been fetched, so you can fetch objects again - fortunately these actions do not fill up the inventory (e.g. saw at the dwarf's hut)
- some objects that are used (e.g. after trading fish for bag) are still in the inventory afterwards
- some hotspots are essential but too easy to miss because there is also no hint when you try something (e.g. mouse & cheese or path at the docks)
  giving a hint is for sure better than just increasing the size of a hotspot - mouse: "you should not try to get too close or you will loose a finger" - something like
  this also tells the player that he is on the right track but has to work a bit more on the solution
- font is a bit small, but I could still read it even on my retina display - it would be a bit easier to read if the font was just a little bit bigger
[close]
This for sure needs a lot of work, but I think you already put a lot of effort in the story, riddels and especially the graphics.

All in all, a very good start!

Shadow1000

Ok I finished the game. Well, actually sthomannch and heltonjohn finished the game on my computer and I just pushed the buttons  (laugh) I needed 5 hints, without which I would never have gotten anywhere.

Overall, good idea for a game. I would love to see what happens next! Good graphics and good puzzles. Execution of the puzzles and a lot of strange technical things is weak.

- I am curious about the testing process. How many testers completed the game independently.
Spoiler
I got stuck as well where you have to click "path" to magically continue the game
[close]
. Did any of the testers comment on the unusual way that objects and hotspots became available?

I also recommend that you have a native English speaker go over the script to help proofread. I wasn't clear what was intended (didn't make a big difference, but confusing) but that would make the game a bit more polished.

Eon_Star

Thanks for your comments. I do respect it.The things is, this game was made to understand the logic of AGS and to have fun with it (and I made it by myself). There might be some issues with the puzzles yes. Sorry if the game is a little difficult to play but that's the nature of adventure game right?

:-D

heltenjon

Quote from: Eon_Star on Sun 20/06/2021 19:54:02
Thanks for your comments. I do respect it.The things is, this game was made to understand the logic of AGS and to have fun with it (and I made it by myself). There might be some issues with the puzzles yes. Sorry if the game is a little difficult to play but that's the nature of adventure game right?

:-D

If I'm not mistaken, you have pressed some button by accident, marking the game as a commercial game in the database, while this is more of a hobby project for you. I think our comments are based on the misunderstanding that you're making a product made for sale. I also guess we _are_ your betatesters.  (nod)

Great that you made and published a game! There is some room for improvement, sure, but I'm also sure you know a lot more now than when you started. And I think your art is very good. If you ever make a second chapter in the story, I'll play it.  ;)

Eon_Star

Yes, I did wonder why it says "commercial" because I gave away the link of the demo. I can change the category if that is doable. One more thing: please understand that I am new here and this was my first game post. Thanks.

heltenjon

Quote from: Eon_Star on Sun 20/06/2021 23:51:57
Yes, I did wonder why it says "commercial" because I gave away the link of the demo. I can change the category if that is doable. One more thing: please understand that I am new here and this was my first game post. Thanks.

I think you by accident have ticked the box that says: "Commercial: This allows you to specify a store and / or demo link for your game".

And welcome. Not a bad effort as a first game.

Shadow1000

If this was your first game then you deserve an extra congratulations!

As far as puzzle implementation, you have to be able to ask yourself "if I weren't the one designing the puzzle, how would I interact with it?". This is not easy and it's hard to predict how a range of users who were not part of the development will react to the clues of the puzzle. This is why it's really important to have feedback from a few testers before releasing it.

Anyway, I am sure that by now you've not just learned AGS but how a few players responded to the game and you're next games will just keep on getting better!

Cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk