[SOLVED] Sequence keeps repeating even though incrementing should prevent it

Started by cipberbloom, Thu 24/06/2021 00:38:38

Previous topic - Next topic

cipberbloom

Hullo, everyone!  ;-D

Ok, so here's what I'm trying to do:

In room 2 (a shelf with dolls), when you use an inventory item on a specific object, the character is meant to switch to room 1 (crypt), where the character animates for a few seconds and a sound is played. No problems there, that works great.

All of the counters in the bit of code from room 1 (crypt) below are global variables with the initial value of 0.

Code: ags

function room_AfterFadeIn()
{
    if (aliceCount >= 1 || lilaCount >=1 || tedCount >= 1 && brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush)
  {
    cMalcolm.LoseInventory(iDinceyDollBrush);
    cMalcolm.Walk(705, 590, eBlock, eWalkableAreas);
    cMalcolm.SayBubble("bla bla bla");
    cMalcolm.LockView(21);
    cMalcolm.Animate(0, 5, eRepeat, eNoBlock, eForwards);
    aDollBrush.Play();
    Wait(160);
    cMalcolm.UnlockView(1);
    brushCount += 1;
    }
   sackOverlay = Overlay.CreateGraphical(1472, 743, 213, false);
}

But, every time he re-enters room 1 from any other room, the animation, sound, etc all happen again, even though the counter should no longer be set to 0. Is this something that ought to be in the global script rather than room 1 or is my code totally weird and wrong? If you have any other recommendations they are most welcome. I'm really enjoying this as a learning project, but sometimes find myself feeling more insane than usual.  8-0

Many thanks in advance!

PS -  I've also tried it with:
brushCount += 1;

within it's own brackets/printers' braces/curly braces thusly:

{
brushCount += 1;
}

Again, thanks.  :)

Matti

Hi there  ;-D

You need some extra brackets:

if ( (aliceCount >= 1 || lilaCount >=1 || tedCount >= 1) && brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush)

Because in your code the condition would be true even if brushCount would be higher than zero as long as aliceCount or lilaCount would be >= 1.

Crimson Wizard

First of all I'd double check that your condition sais what you mean it say. I won't be able to tell if it's correct unless you describe what logic you want there in plain language.

But logical conditions are easy place of error, similar to math btw, because of how logical operations interact with each other.
In short:
1) they only apply to nearest neighbours,
2) AND (&&) operator have precedence over OR (||)

For example, if you have:

if (condition1 || condition2 && condition3)

Such condition will result in success if:
1) condition1 is true, OR
2) both condition2 and condition3 are true.

On another hand, if you have:

if ( (condition1 || condition2) && condition3)

1) Either condition1 OR condition2 is true, AND
2) condition3 are true.

Let's look on your condition:

if (aliceCount >= 1 || lilaCount >=1 || tedCount >= 1 && brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush)

Such condition will result in success in THREE cases:
1) aliceCount >= 1, OR
2) lilaCount >=1, OR
3) tedCount >= 1 && brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush
So, if any of these is true - the condition will result in true.

Brackets create "groups", which are calculated first, and then involve into any external operation as if they were one condition. This helps to change the way different conditions are applied to each other. For example:

if ( (aliceCount >= 1 || lilaCount >=1 || tedCount >= 1) && brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush)

1) at least one of the other counters is >=1, AND
2) brushCount == 0 && cMalcolm.ActiveInventory == iDinceyDollBrush

cipberbloom

Quote from: Matti on Thu 24/06/2021 00:51:47
Hi there  ;-D

You need some extra brackets:

Because in your code the condition would be true even if brushCount would be higher than zero as long as aliceCount or lilaCount would be >= 1.

Oh wow! Thank you so much--you are a lifesaver! So it's just like maths, then! Seriously, you're awesome. Vielen dank!  ;-D

cipberbloom

Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Thu 24/06/2021 01:01:31
First of all I'd double check that your condition sais what you mean it say. I won't be able to tell if it's correct unless you describe what logic you want there in plain language.

But logical conditions are easy place of error, similar to math btw, because of how logical operations interact with each other. In short - they only apply to nearest neighbours.

And a thousand thanks to you, too, Crimson Wizard! Any thorough explanations regarding maths and programming concepts are always very helpful, as both subjects have been pretty challenging to me.  You're great--thank you!  ;-D

Matti

Gerne  :)

And yes, CW did the explanation I had in mind but was too lazy to write down  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk