Background Blitz: Sci Fi Fast Food Restaurant in space

Started by stylez75, Sun 27/06/2021 16:45:15

Previous topic - Next topic

stylez75

Set scene.
Create a Sci-Fi fast-food restaurant. Must give the feeling of being in space

Must use the Ataria 2600 color palette attached.

Deadline: 28 July 2021

[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/XYxN23t5/space.jpg[/imgzoom]

[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/zvn8T1nV/Atari2600-NTSC-palette.png[/imgzoom]

Judging Criteria

Concept: Your background should look and feel like a fast food place in the space.
Playability: Must have a clear walkable area and things to interact with,etc..
Artistic Execution: Atmosphere must feel like it is something found in space/sci fi feeling.

milkanannan

stylez75

Just to put something up.. Threw this up super fast. But hopefully gives some ideas. Not my finest work..
[imgzoom]https://i.postimg.cc/SKPWQ06F/toxicbell.jpg[/imgzoom]

Potajito

I've made a couple of attempts but I'm struggling with the palette. Still hope to have something before the deadline.

Fred Five

This was actually a great BG blitz subject. I’m sorry I didn’t see this before the deadline.
Admin: As there’s only one submission, could it be extended a month?
/Fred

selmiak

Quote from: Fred Five on Sat 28/08/2021 18:55:36
This was actually a great BG blitz subject. I’m sorry I didn’t see this before the deadline.
Admin: As there’s only one submission, could it be extended a month?
but august is over now too ...

ildu

A cool topic! I'm not personally so into doing sci-fi, though I was willing to give it a try. But then I think the forced palette turned me off, especially since I would've gone painterly. Just my two cents :). I wouldn't mind if we just move on to a new topic, perhaps another hosted by stylez75.

Cassiebsg

I love sci-fi, but having a fix palette is not something I work with.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Eternally Sus

Agreeing with above opinions â€" pixelating a space setting in this palette turned out too difficult for me. Topic is fine though.

Alan v.Drake

Here you go, a picture for a struggling overdue contest.

Bad palette but not as bad as EGA.

- Alan

Mouth for war

mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

That's awesome!
Where's that portal this time? The refrigerator? or maybe the parents room?  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

ildu

So is there a deliberation about this yet :)? Would love to get thinking on a new idea. Alan. v.Drake's entry is fantastic, by the way :D!

Alan v.Drake

Maybe we could try doing these contests on discord?
To be honest I don't pay much attention to the forums, I'm more active on github and discord. Also the forum moves so slow (on  the topics I follow) it feels doomed.  :~(

- Alan

Sallah

QuoteMaybe we could try doing these contests on discord?

More than worth a try! There's already an official competition section and so many users.

See you there once this BG Jam's voting is done.

Sinitrena

I hope you all mean to do a seperate competition on discord, and not instead of the one here? Because I don't think it makes a whole lot of sense to not have a Background Competition in the official forums.

This one here has a bit of a problem right now because there were no entries in the alloted time, so no winner, so no new round - and stylez didn't really decide if he wanted to
a) make the deadline longer
b) scrap the topic and start a new round themselves
c) give the admin baton to someone else of their choice

Which is unfortunately a problem from time to time, as it happens that there are no entries and there's no established system what should happen then.

In the Suggestions for Competions thread, Gilbert (moderator) posted this:
QuoteEither way, if anyone wants to continue with/resurrect an activity or suggest what to do next, they may just:
1. PM the moderators, or
2. Post in this very thread, or
3. Post in that particular activity's thread
When I see that I'll response ASAP. Though it'd be faster to start right away, to reduce conflicts (such as two people restarting the same activity at the same time) it would still be better to ask for confirmation first.

And following that, I recently resurrected the Sprite Jam, which is currently waiting for the next round. I hope it gets going again.

What I'm actually trying to say is this: Someone should just go ahead and start the next round. (Post here first to avoid two Background Blitzes at the same time), so that this can get moving again.

Now, why don't I do it, you wonder? Because there's more than enough interest here, so I can't believe there's nobody else who is willing to do it - and I like Alan's belated entry, so maybe he wants to...

(That said, I do have an idea and if there's still a standstill in a week or so, I'll just do it, if you all don't mind.)

ildu

I agree with Sinitrena. I've never been on Discord - actually didn't even know that there is one :D. I would be open to it, I guess, but after more than a decade, it'd be odd not to have a Blitz on the forums. I'd echo Sinitrena and vote to just have anyone start up a new comp. I'll promise to do an entry this time :).

Sinitrena

Alright, apparently nobody else wants to set a new topic, so expect one from me in the next couple of hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk