Trying to achieve graphics in a comic book style

Started by Mouth for war, Sun 27/06/2021 22:29:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandle

This is looking better and better every time I take a look at it!

Mouth for war

Thanks :-D i'm trying my best to improve it. It's for a Quest for glory-ish kind of game (at least the battle system) I always enjoyed the fighting in QFG so hopefully this could be enjoyable :-D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

Cassiebsg

Yes, looking much better. (nod)

I really like the level of detail you have on the path and fence. I think you hit the nail there (where is the nail?  :-D )
I liked the 1st weel detail, though. The new one is too much. The roof just needs a very small detailing, like the fence, to give it "texture". The house and back wall seem off, and don't math the "cartoon/comic" feel.

And then there's that grass, that dominates the picture but has zero detail and is too saturated in colour. Tone it down, please. Shadows in grass will never have that perfect outline, because grass isn't flat (unless that's a plastic coated cement slab painted green, in that case it's perfect!  ;) ). So you need to find a middle ground that has so "little" detail like the fence and path but still transmits the grassy feel.

Keep up the great work.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mouth for war

Mouth for war

Ok So I tried something else. I got rid of the toon renderer but kept the outlining. Maybe this is better? It becomes a bit more detailed. I know that the character looks a little off now and those 4 grassy points are too dark so don't think about that :D

Mouth for war

Maybe even with a bit thicker lines? I think it increases the toony look just a bit :D

Danvzare

Oh, those thicker lines definitely makes it look almost like a comic book!  (nod)
Up to this point, it's just looked like a cartoon to me.

Mouth for war

Great :-) Yeah I agree. Just need to fix the character too...sigh...32 directions :D

Mouth for war

Here's a bg with a new version of the character as well. I think this looks a lot better than the first image I showed :D

Mouth for war

Here's a night time image as well. I know that the character doesn't match up with the blue coloes...that will be fixed :)

Fred Five

Mouth for war

AndreasBlack

Apply some of fred's ideas. Forexample you could see that the side of the house is not hit by the light and is therefor a bit darker, those things create depth and sense of 3d space of objects. Yours have the same colors, or at least too much similar colors. As for the colors i think also you should desaturate the background colors cause your main character melts into them a bit too much.

Mayne try Fred's colors on the house, they looked so nice! :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk