MAGS July “The Bride” (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/07/2021 07:41:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Stupot

The Bride
Topic set by: FormosaFalanster
Deadline: July 31st

The Bride- She can be the playable character, or a secondary character, or the antagonist, or the damsel in distress, or the heroine, happy or not, young or not, but she's the bride! Design a game of any kind in which the imagery of a woman in a wedding dress appears, use it as an inspiration for a universe, a story, an intrigue, an adventure, an investigation, an emotional story, whatever you fancy, as long as she appears in it: the bride!

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Slasher

Aww. we could have fun with this topic  (laugh)

VampireWombat

Hmm. I'll see if I can come up with an idea.

Stupot

fernewelten

Quote from: Stupot on Sun 04/07/2021 20:46:23
Anyone else in?

I might be in. At the moment, I'm treating the jam motto as an exercise for asset drawing practice. I might join if I can come up with decent puzzles.

Mandle

Awwww... no Bride Of Frankenstein in the images? Feels like a missed opportunity.

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 05/07/2021 12:13:08
Awwww... no Bride Of Frankenstein in the images? Feels like a missed opportunity.
Poor Frankie's a bachelor  (laugh)

fernewelten

Awwww... no Bride Of Frankenstein in the images?

Would this lady do? I think I might call her Lady Anemone. What do you think of her?

Mandle

Quote from: Slasher on Mon 05/07/2021 19:11:53

Hey man, glad to see you still with us you old fart.

fernewelten

Quote from: fernewelten on Mon 05/07/2021 23:57:10
I think I might call her Lady Anemone. What do you think of her?

Meet Larry and Randy, Lady Anemone's shoes:

fernewelten

So here's a (more or less unwilling) groom.

If only this process wasn't that slow! I wish I could get faster at this.

fernewelten

fernewelten

Hall (still b/w).
This might become a "map" type of room, in first-person perspective where the doors are clickable and move Ego to the respective room.

Pax Animo

Quote from: fernewelten on Fri 09/07/2021 05:31:53
Hall (still b/w).
This might become a "map" type of room, in first-person perspective where the doors are clickable and move Ego to the respective room.

Reminded me of Mario 64's main hall.
Misunderstood

Slasher

Quote from: Mandle on Tue 06/07/2021 13:51:30
Quote from: Slasher on Mon 05/07/2021 19:11:53
Hey man, glad to see you still with us you old fart.
Yes, I'm still here, thank god...

They say I might as well face the truth
That I'm just too long in the tooth
Oh I'm an O.A.P. and weak-kneed
But I have not yet quite gone to seed

I may be over the hill now that I have retired
Fading away but I'm not yet expired
Clapped out, rundown, too old to save
One foot in the grave..... Well, almost....

I am finding it hard work now and I may lose a couple of weeks but I will try to complete a game on time...

Take it easy Mandle....

Nice idea fernewelten....

Good luck to everyone  (nod)

Mandle

Quote from: fernewelten on Fri 09/07/2021 05:31:53
Hall (still b/w).

Looks like a statue belongs on the landing of the stairs.

fernewelten

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 12/07/2021 23:58:09

Good idea! I'll see what I can come up with.

Mandle

Quote from: fernewelten on Tue 13/07/2021 06:39:53
Quote from: Mandle on Mon 12/07/2021 23:58:09

Good idea! I'll see what I can come up with.

Or a fountain if the house owners are of the gaudy taste.

A waterfall and Koi pond if they are more new-age.

Stupot

fernewelten

FINALLY got the turnarounds and walkcycles for the three protagonists (Lady Anemone, Count Bumbley and Lady Anemone's pair of shoes Larry and Randy).

I'll probably need to reduce scope ...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk