MAGS July “The Bride” (CLOSED)

Started by Stupot, Thu 01/07/2021 07:41:29

Previous topic - Next topic

fernewelten

Here's the background music to the groom's bedroom:

My keyboard is geared for dance music: swing, trance, ballroom etc.. So I didn't find it easy to make it play some likeness to chamber music. I suppose I could have done away with the rhythm and chord generator altogether and simply played the keyboard like a piano, with some baroque sheet music. If I were a competent piano player. But I'm not, I dropped out of piano lessons at age fifteen. :-[

fernewelten

Don't make Lady Anemone cross!  :-D

Here's Vexed Lady Anemone's theme:

fernewelten

Remember Larry and Randy?

They need a theme, too, and here it is!

heltenjon

Cool! Vexed Anemone's theme sounds inspired by Ravel's Bolero. It will be fun to see how you integrate these themes in the game.

fernewelten

Mandle

Loving that theme music!!! I'm such a fan of this kind of old-timey coquettish music!

fernewelten

Put in the starting cutscene yesterday night.

fernewelten

Filled in lots and lots of hotspot and object events.

fernewelten

So I'm in the testing phase, and I can probably present a game for you: “Castle Escape”.

It's become a one-roomer, so sadly, no hall yet. (Perhaps in another chapter of that story.)
Stay tuned ...

For a start, here's a screenshot:

Stupot

I’m going to be out of commission tomorrow, so you have a de facto 24 hour extension if anyone needs it.

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: fernewelten on Sat 31/07/2021 04:58:50
So I'm in the testing phase, and I can probably present a game for you: “Castle Escape”.

It's become a one-roomer, so sadly, no hall yet. (Perhaps in another chapter of that story.)
Stay tuned ...

For a start, here's a screenshot:

I'm happy to see someone did something with that theme :)

fernewelten

So I'd like to proudly present, as an entry for MAGS July 2021:

Castle Escape: Chapter 1
Count Bumbley is a brave chap that is living in a castle. One day, his girlfriend of two years is springing a little surprise on him ... and he must do something fast to prevent an imminent catastrophe from happening.

Help Bumbley save his life ... or at least life as he knows it!

Standard BASS interface (left-click: interact, right-click: Examine).
Get the inventory via the top-left  "hamburger" icon or by hitting "i".

Get the game here:

There are bound to still be rough edges, sorry about that.

I haven't had the time to do a 'Credits' room, but the upshot is, this has been a lone ride.

heltenjon

These shoes are made for talking...  (laugh)

Very funny so far, but I haven't managed to solve it on my two first goes. I'll have to ponder it overnight.

fernewelten

About the shoes puzzle ... here's a little tip that may help:

When the conversation subject starts touching bribes trades presents...
Spoiler
the shoes start to obsess on one specific word in their replies ...
[close]

These options are among the ones that stay turned on (if I haven't made a coding mistake) and so are ready for replay.

heltenjon

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Sun 01/08/2021 21:48:27
These shoes are made for talking...  (laugh)

Very funny so far, but I haven't managed to solve it on my two first goes. I'll have to ponder it overnight.

Same here. I spent about 40 minutes and can't find anything to do other than look at things,
Spoiler
get a book that you can't read, and move a nighttable around
[close]
. I assume there's more to it?

fernewelten

I don't know exactly where you're stuck.

If you've retrieved the alarm clock,
Spoiler
either interact with the door or use the alarm clock on the door.
[close]

If you have found out what the shoes want

I thing I've made a mistake here. I should have put better signposting in a specific hotspot. As it is, you always get the same reaction even when you've made progress which is bad.

So here goes:
Spoiler
If you examine some things, specific details will only become apparent if you are really near to them
[close]
Spoiler
Examine under the canopy when standing on the nighttable
[close]

Spoiler
Anemone has locked the wardrope, but perhaps there's something important inside?
[close]

heltenjon

Shadow1000:

I assume you haven't found the alarm clock.

Spoiler
Check all the hotspots in and surrounding the bed.
[close]

Spoiler
This book is judged by its cover. It's a _big_ book.
[close]

heltenjon

I'm stuck on the shoes puzzle. I've exhausted the dialogue, and the shoes basically tell me
Spoiler
that they want to be polished.
[close]

This may mean either
Spoiler
that I'm supposed to polish them, for instance by rubbing them with the curtain, bedcover or pillow (annoying that I can't do that),
[close]
or perhaps
Spoiler
that I'm supposed to make them dirty first, in order to make them need polishing. There's dust under the bed and white painting scraps on the top of the bed, but I can't kick the shoes underneath the bed.
[close]
Another idea (in order to give you some feedback about play progression) that doesn't fit with the hints in the dialogue, is that
Spoiler
I could simply jump down on the shoes from the top of the nightstand.
[close]

I had already
Spoiler
examined the canopy and discovered the need for brushes. This didn't feel like any progress until you hinted about it, because the count also said he had no talent.
[close]

The wardrobe
Spoiler
is locked. He says he's such a pushover, so I guess I could interpret that as a hint to push it over, however, I haven't found a way to do that.
[close]

I don't like that there are hotspots with the same name, like on the nightstand. I don't know if this is also the case other places, but I hope not.

It annoys me a bit that I can't look in the bowl or open the nightstand
Spoiler
perhaps to polish the shoes with a dirty sock?
[close]
, but I think that's mostly because I'm stuck.

I hope it's not a case of
Spoiler
choosing the right dialogue options in order, because I can't find any hints about any set order.
[close]

Help is appreciated. Perhaps we ought to open a hint thread instead?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk