First game EVER - Tired of the City Life

Started by Tiredofthecitylife, Wed 05/04/2023 05:14:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiredofthecitylife

Kia ora from New Zealand

I've been working on a storyline LOOSELY based on some real life adventures and life decisions I've had over the last few years - a game which I've started in RenPy as a visual novel with multiple storyline branches.  It's pretty complex for my beginner programmer brain, and the story really needs a prequel.  That's brought me here.  Long story arch follows my true life desire to leave the corporate world in the rearview mirror and live off grid.  I'm currently balancing the two and they aren't compatible.  (=  I grew up playing all of the quest games, and I am now writing this 'prequel' with the intention of using AGS to create the game itself.

The story follows a character who ends up in a foreign land, excited for adventure and ready for new experiences.  What he finds is a mundane, repetitive career which very quickly traps him onto the corporate ladder.  As the player progresses through the first year on the job, key events occur that aim to challenge the player's thinking of what is important in life.

The game and storyline are still in a very nebulous state, and without any programming experience, I am eager to find out just how much of the story I'll be able to tell within an AGS setting.  My goal is to get a working AGI style game to take the player through a typical work week with a few key events thrown in throughout to set up an adventure story.  If I can get this going, I'd really like to try adding in a second story-branch to enable a 'choices matter' game.  I don't know how feasible that is with the engine, but we'll see.  (=

I will update this post as I progress through the process.  Can't wait to try out some of the games posted on this site, as well!

Stupot

Welcome, @Tiredofthecitylife.

This sounds like an interesting project. Do you have any screenshots? There is a rule that you're supposed to include at least two screenies (but also, I just want to see what it's going to look like).

Darth Mandarb

Yes, please do have a read of the forum rules and update your post accordingly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk