A Curious Pastime

Started by Shadow1000, Mon 19/07/2021 05:35:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadow1000

I downloaded the new version. I actually played the earlier release but gave up when I saw that I wasn't getting anywhere, but I'm giving the game another go now.

Spoiler
I don't know how to complete the song. I don't see any hints or references to what to do to complete it. Other than that, the outstanding objectives seem to be:
- get the eyeliner
- find a hat
- get the sauce (not sure why)
- move the horse to get the knife and shield
- wake up the middle guy

I have the coals and fur, meat, fish, axe, pen, cold coffee

If I'm supposed to complete something else before this puzzle, then please let me know but I don't see anything available to be done at this point.
[close]

Thank you

sthomannch

I think this is the same as in the demo version

Spoiler

The bard must fall asleep
[close]

Spoiler

He must get hungry first -> choose the correct sentence.
Next choose the option with "sleepy"
Give him the ham that you picked up in the tent right at the beginning of the game
[close]

heltenjon

I think there is something you haven't done in the Sleeping quarters tent.

Spoiler
Have you read all three letters?
[close]

Even after that, there is more to do in that location. I'm impressed you got the fur so fast, though. :-) I spent a long time with that one.

After that, you will have the motivation to complete the song...if you find a small hotspot somewhere on the Bard's body.
Spoiler
Also, what is the Bard's name?
[close]

It also seems from your inventory list that you haven't been to all available locations.

Shadow1000

Thanks guys!

Quote from: sthomannch on Mon 19/07/2021 07:07:03
I think this is the same as in the demo version

This was one of the reasons I gave up in the demo. I didn't see any way to solve this.

Spoiler

The bard must fall asleep

He must get hungry first -> choose the correct sentence.
Next choose the option with "sleepy"
Give him the ham that you picked up in the tent right at the beginning of the game
[close]

I think there is something you haven't done in the Sleeping quarters tent.

Spoiler
Have you read all three letters?
[close]

Well, prior to posting
Spoiler
I think that the letters mainly said blah blah. But now that I come back, they have a potion to wake up so I get why I need the ponytail. That also helped me get the sauce

I got the bard to sleep but I can't get the ponytail because it says it will wake him up.

Based on the hints it seems that I need to visit another location and do something I haven't done in the sleep tent (unless it's to find the letters?) . As far as another location, I was at the gate but get turned back each time. I think I've followed all the arrows but I could have missed something.
[close]

I really appreciate the help. I don't think I would have made progress without you guys!

sthomannch

Shadow1000

Spoiler

Perhaps the problem with the tail is that you have not read the letters. And do you have a tool?
[close]

Gates and how to unlock other areas
Spoiler

You need a map from the tent, but first you need permission to take a map and get rid of the lady
[close]

Spoiler

Collapse the tent: pull a pole
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: sthomannch on Mon 19/07/2021 19:55:58
Shadow1000

Spoiler

Perhaps the problem with the tail is that you have not read the letters. And do you have a tool?
[close]

Gates and how to unlock other areas
Spoiler

You need a map from the tent, but first you need permission to take a map and get rid of the lady
[close]

Spoiler

Collapse the tent: pull a pole
[close]

Spoiler

1. If you mean the letters in the sleeping tent, even though 3 are displayed, they all have the same text: they have the recipe for the hangover. The only tool I have is the axe, but using it on the ponytail says that I don't want to wake him up.

2. I am not sure why I need a map but anything to be able to do to progress sounds good! Pulling a tent pole makes my screen go black for 75 seconds and it says that it's like nothing happened. And indeed, after wandering around again I don't see any new options or dialogue choices.
[close]

Thanks again!

sthomannch

Chopping heads?
Spoiler

A knife is preferable to an axe. Talk to everybody in the tent (bar) and klick on everything
[close]

Perhaps you have to do other things first before going out of the camp.
Spoiler

finish the task in the grove, right of the poodle - for example get a mouse compagnion for the lazy fat guy in the grove.
[close]
Spoiler

get rid of the horse "lady" - similar to the demo
[close]

pole and tent
Spoiler

it only makes sense if you know that you can take a map and if the lady is in the tent, she will not allow you to take the map
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: sthomannch on Mon 19/07/2021 21:42:38
Chopping heads?
Spoiler

A knife is preferable to an axe. Talk to everybody in the tent (bar) and klick on everything
[close]

Perhaps you have to do other things first before going out of the camp.
Spoiler

finish the task in the grove, right of the poodle - for example get a mouse compagnion for the lazy fat guy in the grove.
[close]
Spoiler

get rid of the horse "lady" - similar to the demo
[close]

pole and tent
Spoiler

it only makes sense if you know that you can take a map and if the lady is in the tent, she will not allow you to take the map
[close]

Sorry, I didn't understand anything in your response :)

Spoiler
QuoteA knife is preferable to an axe. Talk to everybody in the tent (bar) and klick on everything
The only knife I know of is blocked by the horse. Which tent are you calling the bar? I assume the command tent? I exhausted all dialogues and checked every hotspot
What grove? what poodle? What fat guy?

Quoteget rid of the horse "lady" - similar to the demo
I really got nowhere in the demo and have no idea what to do for the horse. She just wants horsey stuff and I haven't encountered any

Then I'm not there yet.
[close]

Sorry I'm just not getting anywhere in this game on my own. Thanks for your patience.

heltenjon

In the sleeping quarters there ought to be a helmet on display for you to take. You will also end up with another item if you break some furniture. Don't be afraid to perform actions several times in this game. There's a hotspot here that's hard to find.
Spoiler
Under the bed.
[close]

From the sleeping quarters, there should be an arrow to the right to a pool in the forest. And from there, an arrow to the right, leading to the grove. I assume you haven't been to these locations yet. Or perhaps you have (was the axe there?)? Anyway, there are several items to be found in the grove.

Don't worry about the map - that's not until the next day.

As this isn't really puzzle answers, I didn't use spoiler tags. Let me know if I should put them up.

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 20/07/2021 03:12:15
In the sleeping quarters there ought to be a helmet on display for you to take. You will also end up with another item if you break some furniture. Don't be afraid to perform actions several times in this game. There's a hotspot here that's hard to find.
Spoiler
Under the bed.
[close]

From the sleeping quarters, there should be an arrow to the right to a pool in the forest. And from there, an arrow to the right, leading to the grove. I assume you haven't been to these locations yet. Or perhaps you have (was the axe there?)? Anyway, there are several items to be found in the grove.

Don't worry about the map - that's not until the next day.

As this isn't really puzzle answers, I didn't use spoiler tags. Let me know if I should put them up.

Actually,
Spoiler
I JUST found under the bed and was able to get the eyeliner! In the area of the forest where there's a puddle (where I got the water) there is no arrow to the right. I've had the axe for a while but I've tried using it on everything to no avail
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 19/07/2021 21:58:40
Chopping heads?

Spoiler
QuoteA knife is preferable to an axe. Talk to everybody in the tent (bar) and klick on everything
The only knife I know of is blocked by the horse.
[close]
Spoiler
That's the one you need.
[close]
I really got nowhere in the demo and have no idea what to do for the horse. She just wants horsey stuff and I haven't encountered any
You need to find the new hotspot in
Spoiler
the sleeping quarter, after you removed the rug.
[close]

Still can't get rid of the horse?
Spoiler
Not to foreshadow too much, but I'm confident that Shadow1000 is the right player to figure that one out.
[close]
Spoiler
Remember that you want her to move away.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 20/07/2021 03:31:27
Quote from: Shadow1000 on Mon 19/07/2021 21:58:40
Chopping heads?

Spoiler
The only knife I know of is blocked by the horse.
[close]
Spoiler
That's the one you need.
[close]
You need to find the new hotspot in
Spoiler
the sleeping quarter, after you removed the rug.
[close]

Still can't get rid of the horse?
Spoiler
Not to foreshadow too much, but I'm confident that Shadow1000 is the right player to figure that one out.
[close]
Spoiler
Remember that you want her to move away.
[close]

OK!
Spoiler
that hint helped me get rid of the horse! Now I just need to get a hat for the bald guy. I have the fur, bag, axe and no outstanding things to do. I don't know how to get to the grove or past the front gate.
[close]

heltenjon

Now that you have proceeded this far, you can suddenly do something that you couldn't do earlier. And in this game, you frequently have to perform actions in one location and see the effects in another. I'm guessing you have already tried this.
Spoiler
It's finally time to axe that tree by the pool.
[close]

I'm curious about why you can't get to the grove. My guess is either that you are playing the first version (in case, you are near the end), or that there is some hidden trigger that Sthomannch and I have released without knowing it. If memory serves correctly, the grove wasn't in the first version. In the expanded version, there should be a mouse on the floor inside the tent. If the mouse isn't there, you are probably playing the first build.

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Tue 20/07/2021 03:47:02
Now that you have proceeded this far, you can suddenly do something that you couldn't do earlier. And in this game, you frequently have to perform actions in one location and see the effects in another. I'm guessing you have already tried this.
Spoiler
It's finally time to axe that tree by the pool.
[close]

I'm curious about why you can't get to the grove. My guess is either that you are playing the first version (in case, you are near the end), or that there is some hidden trigger that Sthomannch and I have released without knowing it. If memory serves correctly, the grove wasn't in the first version. In the expanded version, there should be a mouse on the floor inside the tent. If the mouse isn't there, you are probably playing the first build.

Actually,
Spoiler
I just did that and got the fur with the goo.
[close]

Ok, that explains it. I just finished and it WAS the demo all along! I found a link to the expanded version in a post from the author on the download page. There's also a walkthrough and something tells me I'm going to need it.

Once again, thanks for all the help and patience, guys!

sthomannch

Oh sorry for the confusion. I thought you were in the full game and partially ahead. It is definitely worth playing the full version.

Shadow1000

Quote from: sthomannch on Tue 20/07/2021 06:25:09
Oh sorry for the confusion. I thought you were in the full game and partially ahead. It is definitely worth playing the full version.

I should be the one apologizing! I think I simply clicked the link in the game description page and assumed it was the full version. I guess downloading the correct version of the game is the first puzzle  (laugh)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk