Disabling "walk to" clicks but not "interact" clicks [SOLVED]

Started by newwaveburritos, Thu 22/07/2021 19:11:04

Previous topic - Next topic

newwaveburritos

I've been screwing around with this for a few hours now and I'm close to a solution but I haven't quite nailed it yet.  I have a bar in the game where the character will sit and while the character is seated I want the player to be able to click on any hotspot in the room but I do not want the player to be able to walk anywhere and right now any click around that does not fire a hotspot will take the player back to the first frame of the sitting at the bar view and try to walk there.  I'm using the BASS template.  I know that this has something to do with putting a ClaimEvent() somewhere but I can't seem to put it in the right spot.  All I really want to do is not have the player try to walk anywhere until they stand up. but I think I might be calling things in the wrong spot.

Code: ags
function on_mouse_click(MouseButton button) {
  if (!SittingAtBar) return; // -> exit function here
  if (mouse.Mode == eModeWalkto) {
    ClaimEvent(); // prevent standard click handling, nothing further will happen
}

This just makes it so no click works and you can't actually click on anything.  SetGameOption(OPT_NOWALKMODE, 0)
  Mouse.DisableMode(eModeWalkto) aren't working for me either, probably because I need to use them in conjunction with the ClaimEvent()?  It's the click processing done by the scripts further down the chain that I think are giving me problems.

I was using a workaround by making a GUI that was really just intercepting all the clicks and just put buttons over where the other characters were sitting but that wasn't ideal because I realized I would need to make a separate GUI for each permutation of characters at the bar and also this got rid of the Action Bar which was a bit weird so I decided to actually solve the problem instead of using GUI buttons to workaround everything.  Thanks again, everybody!

Cassiebsg

Yes, you can claim the event and just do not process the walk click.
I would probably just go on to Gloabal script, locate the on_mouse_click function, and for the walkto code, just add a

if (SittingAtBar) return;  //do noting, or break to end the function...
else processclick... 

But claiming the event would probably be more elegant... 
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

newwaveburritos

This works perfectly and doesn't complicate anything.  Thanks so much!

...now I guess I should go disassemble that weird GUI...   :-[

Khris

Doing this in the global script instead doesn't make much sense to me.

The BASS template uses a two button interface, which basically means you don't check for eModeWalkto but a left click on an empty spot.
So you would need something like:

function on_mouse_click(MouseButton button) {
  if (!SittingAtBar) return;
  if (button == eMouseLeft && GetLocationType(mouse.x, mouse.y) == eLocationNothing) ClaimEvent();
}

newwaveburritos

This also works. 

Quoteyou don't check for eModeWalkto but a left click on an empty spot.

This is what I missing and couldn't wrap my brain around.  Thanks for the help.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk