Mode 7 in AGS

Started by Héctor Bometón, Sun 25/07/2021 11:10:24

Previous topic - Next topic

Héctor Bometón

Not sure if this is the propper place to ask, and not even sure this is not just a straight stupid question since my technical skills and notions are fairly limited, but ...

Does anyone ever tried to implement something similar to Mode 7 into AGS? Would it be possible to recreate this? I deffinitely could use it for my game but mainly I'm just curious.

Thank you in advance!

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Cassiebsg

Okay, thanks. :)

I would say not of the bat, but CW is working on rotating and stuff with sprites/objects, so maybe with a bunch of coding it's possible? Or through a plugin? Or fake mode 7...  (laugh)

I'll let some with more technical knowledge into the engine to answer though.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Crimson Wizard

This was done on several occasions in AGS, but when done in script this may be very slow. Ags script itself is not very fast for having lots of realtime math in it, it may not have all necessary functions so some things will have to be scripted instead, and so on.
Done as a C/C++ engine plugin this will work much faster; there it may be done both classic way (using software rendering) and proper modern 3D way where you would utilize graphic card.

Old example: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=45834.msg636452593#msg636452593

There were multiple other 3D and pseudo-3D things done in AGS over time. For instance if you look here, this game emulates DOS-era voxel engine, so that's too possible, but again very slow when done in ags script.

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Sun 25/07/2021 15:18:45
I would say not of the bat, but CW is working on rotating and stuff with sprites/objects, so maybe with a bunch of coding it's possible?

I never thought about using rotated objects for this effect, I think rotation over different axes would be also required. But it's not released at the moment anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk