Can I call a GlobalScript function from a Room script?

Started by Hobbes, Sun 25/07/2021 14:35:26

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Using some of the excellent suggestions found in the topic above (making an RPG system in AGS) I've decided to try and script a simple turn-based battle system. So far so good and I feel like I'm making progress.

I've decided to use a very, very simple derivative of the d20 system, where I use a selection of dice to calculate results. So 2d6 for example, would generate a number between 2 and 12. (2 x 6-sided dice).

To help keep these functions to a minimum, I've created a number of functions in the GlobalScript.asc document of my game. So for example, for a d4 I've scripted:

Code: ags

function roll_d4()
{
  roll_value = 0;
  d4=Random(3);
  d4++;
  roll_value = d4;
}

This is working fine and is giving me a random number between 1 and 4. It's generated first as the Global Integer "d4" and then moved into the global integer "roll_value". This because at some points I will want to combine odd dice together (a d4 + a d6 for example) so the overall "roll_value" is consistently called to provide outcomes.

So far so good and I've tested this and it's working fine when I call these functions from a GUI button.

Now we get to my problem. In my current Battle Room, I would like to call these functions from within the room script. The reason is that I "set up" the monster based on a monster_id which is set before the player enters the battle room.

So if monster_id = 1, then a certain monster is loaded (hit points, attack points, character view, attack view, etc). If monster_id is 2, a completely different monster is loaded onto the same character with different variables.

Now, my monster_id 1 has hit points ranging between 2 and 8 (2d4). I've created the function roll_2d4 in my globalscript file and would like to call it from within the room script: function room_Load()

When I try to call roll_2d4 (which isn't defined as a function in this specific room), AGS can't compile and gives me the error "Undefined token 'roll_2d4'."

Now I'll be using roll_2d4 in quite a few different rooms and scenarios (dialogue checks, difficulty checks, etc) so I don't really want to script my whole dice-setup every single time I want to call it somewhere in the game. I thought the GlobalScript was the best place for this, if I wanted to script custom functions that were accessible anywhere. Am I doing something wrong, do I need to import the GlobalScript function somehow into the room script before I can acccess it? Or should I store these dice-rolling functions elsewhere?

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated, as always. I fear I am getting overly ambitious with this little game, but I'm having a blast trying to come up with a battle system and building a bit of an adventure-rpg hybrid game. So any help people can give would be most welcome.

Thanks again!

Crimson Wizard

Of course you can do that, declare your function in the global script's header like:

import function roll_d4();

This will make it "visible" for all your room scripts, and dialog scripts.

This manual's article explains how to make functions and variables available in other scripts:
https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/ImportingFunctionsAndVariables.html

You may also simplify your function and make it return value instead of using any global variables:

int roll_d4()
{
  return Random(3) + 1;
}

Then this may be used simply as:

int roll1 = roll_d4();
int roll2 = roll_d4();

int combined_roll = roll_d4() + roll_d6(); // assuming roll_d6 is done in a similar way

newwaveburritos

I'd be curious to see your work on this, Hobbes, as I was planning something kinda similar for the next project.

Hobbes

Thank you so much Crimson Wizard, that's working a treat! I've got my virtual dice rolling in different places without any difficulty now. :-)

Newwaveburritos, happy to write it up in the future once I've got it working... it's a really nice trial-by-error mess at the moment though.

Khris

Or pass the sides to the function:

int Roll(int sides) {
  return Random(sides - 1) + 1;
}

Then
  int roll1 = Roll(10) + Roll(6);

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk