MAGS August "By Hook or by Crook" (VOTING)

Started by Stupot, Tue 03/08/2021 02:09:15

Previous topic - Next topic

What is your favorite MAGS game of August?

Win a Million (by Slasher)
1 (12.5%)
Guy: By Hook or by Crook (by remz)
4 (50%)
Trade it Forward (by Cassiebsg and heltenjon)
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Voting closed: Sun 19/09/2021 05:44:47

Stupot

Time to vote on August's games.
Please vote using the poll above.

Option 1:  Win a Million by Slasher
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2562-win-a-million-

Option 2:  Guy: By Hook or by Crook by remz
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2563-guy-by-hook-or-by-crook

Option 3:  Trade it forward by Cassiebsg and heltenjon
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2564-trade-it-forward/

By Hook or by Crook
Topic set by: Slasher

You want something at any cost and will try anything and everything to get it!

Start creating. You may use previous assets...

What is MAGS?
Started in 2001, MAGS is a competition for amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to create a game in under a month, following the guidelines set by the previous winner. It aims to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and provide a kick-start into making adventure games. Regardless of skill, MAGS is for everyone. Voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, or the best coded. If you have bad art skills, use it as a chance to do some graphic work. If you're sub-standard at coding, use it as a chance to give scripting a go. Ultimately, people will vote for the most enjoyable entry.

Rules
Entering MAGS is simple. First, conceptualize your game following the month's criteria (see above). Second, create your game fuelled only by coffee. Finally, post your game in this thread, including:

* A working download link
* The title of your game
* A suitable in-game screenshot

At the end of the month, voting will begin, usually lasting for fourteen days, and the winner chooses the next month's theme.

Remember that this is a challenge to see what you can do in a month, so any tinkering you do after that, including fixing minor glitches, is against the spirit of the competition. The exception to this is that you may go in and fix major, game-breaking bugs only during voting. We want you to have a game that voters can actually play and that runs on their machines.

So to reiterate, during the voting period fixing major, game-breaking bugs is okay, fixing minor glitches or making cosmetic changes is cheating.

Tips
Here are some ways to make sure you have a game to submit at the end of the month:
* Make a tiny game. Plan small, then cut it in half. Find shortcuts (e.g. if making walkcycles is time-consuming, make the characters static or have it in the first person).
* Plan to have your game playable and submittable with a week to spare. This way you have a week to fix bugs, add some flourishes and maybe even get someone to test it.
* Plan to submit it a day or so early. This way, if there are any technical issues with uploading, they can be sorted out in time.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Need a little help with graphics? Perhaps The AGS Trove has something you can use.
Don't want to go it alone? Try the Recruitment board.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HanaIndiana

Nice topic! A lot of room for different ideas.

Slasher

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Wed 04/08/2021 16:50:00
Nice topic! A lot of room for different ideas.
There is lots of room... I do hope you will participate with an entry... that would be great  (nod)

remz

Regarding the MAGS competition,

the reference link on the forum page https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=5477.0 seems to be dead: http://www.mags-competition.tk/

Could someone recap the rules, for example I am assuming the following:
- the game story, graphics and scripts must be original and created during the month
- the UI/Inventory scripts can be used from any standard template, or even reusing some existing scripts that you have (?)
- the sound effects and music can come from any legally usable sources (?)

Thank you!

Stupot

Quote- the game story, graphics and scripts must be original and created during the month
Actually not quite. The story should be original, but as a way to encourage more entrants we recently changed the rules to allow existing assets such as sprites and pieces of script. Technically the topic setter can decide not to allow this, but I don’t think anyone has yet prohibited it since we changed the rule.

Quote- the UI/Inventory scripts can be used from any standard template, or even reusing some existing scripts that you have (?)
Yes, this is fine. Any official template is fine (always was) and now you can use pre-existing templates, if it will make your life easier.

Quote- the sound effects and music can come from any legally usable sources
Yes. Any sound/music is fine as long as you are using it fairly and legally.

All that said, games made with original assets invariably get the more attention. But if your main purpose is to just a game up and running in as short a time as possible, then I can’t think of a better way than entering MAGS and using all the templates and assets you can.

Cassiebsg

I've got an idea, but not going to promise anything. Since idea is far from a story, and even with a full story in my head, it sometimes doesn't translate into becoming a game.  :-\

Anyway, if anyone want to collaborate with story writing and puzzle design, contact me via PM or IRC. :) I can do the graphics and coding and provide the idea.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Slasher

Hi

I'v had a good think and toyed around with a few ideas...

What if you saw that a TV company was hosting a quiz competition with a prize of a £Million!

What you could do with a £Million!

You have been selected to appear on the show.

You intend to win that money by hook or by crook.

Unfortunately you are not the most knowledgeable of men so you rope in your family for a little help...

After hard persuasion they agree to help..

Is it a cough too much?   (laugh)

Based on a real event...

This game comes in the form of a board game....

Now comes the hard part....making it  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

Help found, started working on BGs. Here's hoping.  :)

Slasher

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Mon 09/08/2021 22:00:43
Help found, started working on BGs. Here's hoping.  :)
That's great news... I expect a great game from you  (nod)

Meanwhile, I have implemented the mechanics for my board game entry...

Slasher

Splash screen

Going well, so far at least  (laugh)

Slasher

Hi

My board game entry is just about finished..

Now comes the dreaded part: Testing  (laugh)

Splash screen

Board

remz

Congratulations, Slasher!

I'm trying to have an entry ready too for this MAGS. But time flies!

Slasher

Quote from: remz on Wed 18/08/2021 11:55:24

Yes, time does fly....this is where time management is important and not trying to do to much outside time management..

Good luck and hope you make it  (nod)

Stupot

Quote from: remz on Wed 18/08/2021 11:55:24

Good to hear, remz

Don’t put too much pressure on yourself. Just enjoy the process and try to get something playable on the table.

Slasher

remz

I'm in polish phase. I feel I have more stuff to do now than at the beginning of the project :)
At this rate, it will be finished in: #.#OVERFLOW days.

remz

Here's a screenshot of my in-progress entry:

Slasher

Glad you are nearing the end, remz (nod)

Waiting for you to cross the finishing line  (nod)

Anyone else entering?

My simple board game should be ready today, at some point....

Cassiebsg

I'm trying to meet the deadline, but there's still no playable game.

heltenjon

Cassiebsg's got me on her team, which unfortunately means she has to put up with me doing stuff in the wrong order, do all the heavy lifting, and she has to fix all my mistakes.  :-[

Fingers crossed.

Remz: Very cool drawing style!

Slasher: I'm a board game fanatic. I'm excited to see how you make this fit the theme...especially the "crook" part.  (laugh)

Cassiebsg

I'm the one behind, not you...  (laugh)
Time and work just haven't helped, as I'm putting extra hours at work so that we can deliver the projects on time there (and missing deadlines there has much dire consequences than in here...).
Anyway, I'm starting to get friendly with Blender again, so sprites are being rendered like mad atm...
Coding, though requires concentration, and when both husband and son want one's attention, means only a few hours at best during the night (when I'm suppose to be sleeping...  (roll))

But I do plan to meet the deadline... and hopefully it's be a game by then, and not just a show of intentions.  ( (roll)

Slasher

Win a Million!

You have been selected to appear on the 'Win a Million' tv show.

You intend to win the million pounds by hook or by crook.

Unfortunately you are not the most knowledgeable of men so you rope in your family for a little help...

After some bribery persuasion they agree to help..

Is it a cough too much?   (laugh)

Loosely based on a real event...

This game comes in the form of a short board game....

Please let me know if you find any issues.... Thank you...

remz

Here's my MAGS entry:
Guy: by hook or by crook

Guide Guy through his day, first by finding what to do, then hopefully and ultimately achieve the goal, by any mean necessary!
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2563-guy-by-hook-or-by-crook

The game is using a reduced Tumbleweed set of 5 verbs. The keys W, L, U, P, T or 1,2,3,4,5 can be used for quick verb selection.
It runs in 640x400 with hand-drawn graphics and character animations.
Music and some sound effects are by Eric Matyas (www.soundimage.org)
This is my first AGS game project so I am eager to hear back from you, experienced users and adventure game players!

Remz

Cassiebsg

* Cassiebsg looks at calender...

Uhm... there's still a few days to go... but now I dare not ask for an extension, so the 31 it will be.  (laugh)

Good job you two, by getting done before time!  :) (nod)

remz

Cassiebsg: will we see another entry tonight? :) :) :)

Cassiebsg

Definetly, yes, unless my computer crashes and loses all data or there's a major power failure that stops me from uploading.

Right now it's playable, but there's one bug that can leave one stuck in an endless loop (which is driving me nuts).
And another one heltenjon just found, but that I think I know exactly how to fix it.
And one cutscne missing, that is missing (just really need some more Say commands so the player can know what happend.
And the current game star GUI kind of sucks and I need to add the game title to it.

That's about it. Rest is just polishing and adding more interactions with stuff around (which I have the text, but lack the time to add).

Slasher

I'm ok with it as there are only 3 of us if Stu extends a day or two...

Over to you Stu  (nod)

Cassiebsg

Nah, I don't wan't an extension. I'm looking forward to sleep more than 4 hours per night.  (nod)

Cassiebsg

Presenting: Trade it forward

Charly needs to have the new DroneMaster 5000! Unfortunately, all he owns, is a trouser button. Help Charly doing some good trades and perhaps cut some corners in his attempt to get ahold of the toy of his dreams!

Download here (I'll change the link once I've added it to db): https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2564-trade-it-forward/

And with a few minutes to spare.  (laugh)
Hopefully there won't be dead ends or crashes.

Edit: Link now points to the DB!  (nod)

PS - I know the start GUI sucks, just lacked the time to make it better.  :-[

Stupot

Sorry guys. I haven’t gone AWOL.

Thanks for the entries, everyone.  It looks like we have a good selection this month.
I’ll rig up the voting later today.

Cassiebsg

Should we be worried about you Stupot?  8-0

I did a minor fix to my game, as it was stopping Creamy from finishing the game, and maybe others. All I did was remove a else and change a == into a <= in the code. So no other fixes other than fixing a broken code.
If you get stuck and the guy doesn't return, you can just save the game, download v1.1 (same link) copy over 1.0 and reload your game. No need to start  over.  (nod)

Stupot

Time to vote on August's games.
Please vote using the poll above.

Option 1:  Win a Million by Slasher

Option 2:  Guy: By Hook or by Crook by remz

Option 3:  Trade it forward by Cassiebsg and heltenjon
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2564-trade-it-forward/

Shadow1000

Great turnout this month!

My comments:

With Slasher first out the the gate like usual:

Spoiler
Nice trivia-based game! Fits the theme of the month right-on. However, in terms of gameplay, the answers being handed to you (by hook or by crook) the fun does wear down a bit. Very creative application!
[close]

Spoiler
big congrats on such a smooth and polished first game! Great contender in the contest, meeting the theme and actually having some nice puzzles. Good combination of things to do, dialogues, puzzles. I have to admit to having been stumped a bit by one of the puzzles, just long enough to really enjoy that "aha!" moment, so really well done. Graphics look pretty basic but the animation is super-smooth and something really draws me to that fireplace :)
[close]

Trade it Forward (by Cassiebsg and heltenjon)
Spoiler
Exceptional for a game made in a month. I loved the flow of how it's one accomplishment after the next followed by the next and so on. I did have one area of the sequencing that didn't quite work out right and a graphics issue that can be tweaked and I sent them to Cassie in case you want to release an expanded version one day. Puzzles and gameplay are right on, with a good combination of inventory, dialogues, strong-character NPCs, tasks to complete to acquire items to progress. Puzzles were perfect in making me have to think about what to do next without getting frustrated
[close]

If you couldn't tell, my vote goes to
Spoiler
Trade it Forward
[close]
for being the most complete and enjoyable overall.

Cassiebsg

I've also finished playing both other games, good job you too.  (nod)

Some feedback:

Spoiler

Love the idea, and the play was okay, though the fact that all was blocking stopped me from answering on my own, those questions I actually new. On the other hand, the fact that the answers were only read once, made me sometimes miss where the cough was at. I learned afterwards to not listen for the cough, but read the answer right after the cough. So then I knew which was the right one.
I tried all 3 endings, though they're all kind of depressing (laugh) . And I would love to have a skip cutscene implemented. After the first run, having to go thru the dialogues, was more of an annoying task, than enjoying the game play.
I think that with some tweaking and a lot more questions, you could make this an enjoyable game (maybe add a button for cheat) during the game, so that when the player wants a cough, he can just press the button - re-read the answers and then get the cough. I can see people playing it over and over just for the trivia part.  (nod)
[close]

Spoiler

The graphics look very simplistic, but as soon as Guy started to move, boy, that was a treat I was not expecting! Great walk cycle you got there!  (nod) That along made the graphics elevate IMHO and I enjoyed playing it from start to finish. Even though the game is very short, it got me stumped at one point, wondering if I had missed a hotspot/object somewhere or if the game was actually finish able.  (laugh) But I figured it out eventually! Story is solid too, even if short. Good job!  (nod)
[close]

and my vote goes to:
Spoiler

Guy: By Hook or by Crook (by remz) for creating a small but well rounded off story and cute animated game.  (nod)
[close]

heltenjon

My thoughts this month:

Win a Million by Slasher:
Spoiler
As usual, this is packed with Slasher's humour. Bodily sounds and unlikely plans to gain riches are par for the course, and I enjoyed the twist in the story. This has replay potential if I turn off the sound and try my hand at the trivia myself. Even though I'm an adventurer at heart, I do appreciate how Slasher's games often experiment with the genre.
[close]

Guy: By Hook or by Crook by Remz:
Spoiler
Short and funny tale. It took me a while before I found the third location on the map, but after that I could roll it home. I absolutely love the animation in this game. My favourite is the talking, when everything in the faces swap places. The simplistic style is very cool! Also nice jokes. I particularly liked the one about the neverending commercial, the very demeanor of the ticket salesman and the end fight.  (laugh)
[close]

Trade it forward by Cassiebsg and myself:
Spoiler
Fun to publish something! I jumped at the chance when Cassiebsg wanted to do all the stuff I'm not competent to do, and I'm very grateful that she did. I've learned a lot in the process and think the end product turned out well, even though it's hard to judge if we hit the right level of difficulty and so on. I appreciate any feedback. Nearly everything from the initial draft is in the game. We had to simplify one puzzle and drop the epilogue, and there are some non-vital interactions that aren't implemented, but frankly I'm amazed how much Cassiebsg managed to cram into this little world.
[close]

My vote goes to
Spoiler
Guy: By Hook or by Crook. It's a great first game and has that graphic style I love.
[close]

heltenjon

Slasher, out of pure curiousity, which other games have the characters (sprites) in Win a Million been in? I'm sure I recognize some of them...

Slasher

Quote from: heltenjon on Mon 06/09/2021 08:17:45
Slasher, out of pure curiousity, which other games have the characters (sprites) in Win a Million been in? I'm sure I recognize some of them...
Mmm.. a few that I had made....

remz

Here's my vote:

Win a Million by Slasher:
Spoiler
Slasher was the first to submit an entry and also the earliest to show in-progress screenshots and story, so props to that. Fun and original idea, made me think of Sierra's Jones in the fast lane. I liked the attention to detail covering all the possible endings, and the unsupportive family members. The game is very short and simple, although I managed to genuinely fail three times at the last question, which meant I had exactly no idea what the correct answer was. I felt this was very much in line with the in-game character sentiment :)
[close]

Guy: By Hook or by Crook by Remz: skipped because it is my game
Spoiler
I said skipped. There is nothing here. You really had to click anyway, did you?
[close]

Trade it forward by Cassiebsg and heltenjon:
Spoiler
This game features a surprisingly elaborated puzzle sequence. The graphics are funny, even if clumsy and a bit "stiff", they are part of the charm and fit the atmosphere. There is a few bugs here and there that can make solving it a bit tricky, and a lot of "unimplemented interaction", but there doesn't seem to be any dead-ends and the story works in any case.
For example, trying to remove the 'pet shop sticker' from your shirt gives incoherent visuals vs state, and grabbing the rabbit feed bag is possible much before the clerk normally "welcomes" it, to name a few.
I also got stuck because of the short real-time moments (i.e.: when the checkers players are looking away), partly because the 'BASS' two-buttons interface doesn't work very well on a laptop touchpad, and the fact that the time window is relatively short. (small side note: Incoherently, if you try to grab the candy bar instead of a checkers piece, the guy instantly notices it and prevents you, which could misguide the player.)
[close]

My vote goes to
Spoiler
Trade it forward: By shear scale and complexity for a MAGS entry, with a lot of jokes spread around. Congrats!
[close]

Cassiebsg

Thanks for the feedback remz.  (nod)

I'm aware of most of them, though...
Spoiler

... I was sure I had tested the normal-cap-sticker-cap & sticker variants.  (roll) Guess it's another one for the long list of stuff "to fix" after MAGS...  (laugh)

As for the candy bar, nah, it's on the other side of the table. Charly would have to bend all over the table to reach it. The movement would be noticed, unlike a swift back hand movement while looking at the bully.  ;)
But I'll change it to Charly refusing to on the grounds that they would notice such a bold move.
[close]

Stupot

We have a winner.

Congratulations to Remz, for your game Guy: By Hook or by Crook. Good job. I’ll contact you soon about deciding a topic for October’s contest.

Thanks to all participants and voters.

heltenjon

Congratulations, Remz. You have to make more now!  (nod)

Shadow1000

How awesome to win on a first game, up against some seasoned game-creators! Hearty congratulations to remz. I look forward to seeing many more games from this author.

remz

Thank you very much everyone! It was a close call, and it was great fun to participate.
How does it work now for the next MAGS? Who picks the theme and terms?

Cassiebsg

Congrats remz! :)  (nod)

You do.  ;) You can start thinking about a theme.  :)

heltenjon

Remz, you'll see that Mags for September is already started. The theme you pick, will be for Mags October. Stupot will contact you via PM.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk