Adding new laptop keyboard

Started by Slasher, Wed 01/09/2021 08:54:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

Hi

my laptop keyboard (Lenovo) needs replacing. I have purchased a replacement keyboard..

How easy are they to replace?

Thank you.

Khris

Depends, turn off the laptop, close it, then turn it over. Look for screw holes that are marked with a keyboard symbol. If you have those, it's going to be easy: unscrew the keyboard screws, then carefully pry the keyboard loose. Unplug it, then everything in reverse.

You can also search for "lenovo replace keyboard" on youtube, however you should include your model's name / number since there are dozens if not hundreds of different builds.

Hobo

It's generally a fairly easy task, but it really depends on the brand and model. Most Lenovo laptops I've worked with have been rather robust and straightforward, so it has usually involved screwing a few screws and connecting the cable. I'd assume that the worst that can happen is breaking some of the plastic latches either on the keyobard or the body.

And as Khris suggested, there are multiple videos on youtube for almost every laptop model, I always check out those, before actually doing anything.

Slasher

Many thanks Khris and Hobo  (nod)

Cheers

Mati256

If you have to open the laptop, be aware that sometimes there are screws under stickers or feet, or other similar stuff.
Also, if you are not too fancy and the laptop is not really mobile, you can buy a USB keyboard and use that instead, but you have already purchased the replacement part.
My Blog! (En Español)

WHAM

Most laptop keyboards are easy to swap out, but in my old job I've also come across models where you had to pull the whole machine apart, pull out the motherboard, and only then could access the keyboard and connectors underneath the casing. I'd imagine more modern laptops are easier to work with, though, and I'd recommend looking online for guides for exact steps on disassembling the machine far enough to replace the keyboard. It's amazing how many detailed video guides there are out there these days, and all you need is the exact model number of the laptop (found on a sticker on the bottom of the machine, usually) to find a lot of information.

Good luck!
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk