Recommendations starting a visual novel in AGS

Started by Icey, Sun 12/09/2021 10:39:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Icey

Howdy all!

I'm reaching out here to see if anyone could suggest a module that could help me get things going with a visual novel idea I've been working on?
If you guys have any recommendations that would be helpful, but if not I'm certain I just what's there from default.

I can't remember the particular word(s) for it at this time, but I believe what I'm just looking for, while getting back into the swing of things,
is just something that can help me manage dialog trees, I believe.

If anyone here remembers a module that they can recommend me that'd be just lovely!  :-D

Kastchey

Hi Icey,

I know you said in the past that you're used to AGS so apologies if this is not useful, but have you considered Ren'Py? It's a visual novel-dedicated engine that's super easy to use. And 100% free even for commercial projects, just like AGS.

If you're dead set on using AGS then I'll leave the stage to smarter people to advise.

Danvzare

Hey Icey, long time no see.
The only module I can suggest is the Typewriter module.
https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=48093.msg636622785#msg636622785
And I only suggest that, because visual novels tend to spell out each and every letter in the text box, and that's the best place to start for that type of effect.

As for managing dialog trees. I remember there being a variety of external utilities for that, but I can't tell you where they are though, since I never found a use for them. I never had a problem with mentally mapping dialog trees in my head, and besides, visual novels don't tend to have complex dialog trees in my experience. Hopefully someone else here will be more useful than me. Good luck with your game.

Icey

hello friends!

It has definitely been a long while. Hope all is well?

I figured Ren'py would possibly come up as a suggestion and I think while it would absolutely be easier to preform the most basic of what I need from a visual novel system in Ren'py. But there's some other things that I feel AGS would better suit me with easily doing. Also, a lot of it is additionally me being most used to using AGS and I'm sorta, kinda doing this just to test some things out haha.

But I will not just push the idea to the side, as it may actually still prove useful down the road for this project.

For now, I'll look into the typewriter module and tinker around with my usual way to get something working. It's been a while, but I don't think it would be something that would too much of a hassle for little ol' me to set up haha.

But thanks for the suggestions!  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk