How to keep it up until the end? (Game making)

Started by Mouth for war, Thu 07/10/2021 22:11:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

Hey! So, I can't keep count anymore on how many projects I've abandoned and that really sucks. I'd like to at least release ONE more game. I don't want to be remembered as the guy who only made Jimmy the troublemaker...a game that also kind of sucked (But it was my first so...it could be worse I guess) :D I've tried 3 times to do a sequel but just gave it up eventually. I know I tend to take on projects that are tough for only one person but that's the kind of games I want to do, rpg's and junk :D I'm having a second go now at my post apoalyptic game "Earth:Anarchy" So far so good and I hope I can finally get this done. A few tips I've picked up on the way

* Complete the game from A-B and add all the side quests and extra stuff afterwards
* Make the hardest parts first so that you don't encounter something later on that you can't figure out (Well help is usually available but still)

So what are your best tips to keep it up when inspiration starts to disappear? :-)
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

dactylopus

Great questions!  And thanks for the tips you've given here.  They definitely help.

I'm in the same boat, I've thrown too many aborted games overboard to remember.

Tips on process from successful AGS developers would help.  How do you go about it?

Collaboration could also help, but can lead to 'too many cooks' situations.  It's a matter of the right group chemistry.

I keep attributing my own failures to complete games to the fact that my game designs are too ambitious and I lack the necessary skills and time to do it all myself.  I've tried smaller projects just to complete something, but they just don't hold my interest.  So, some tips from people who routinely face and leap over these obstacles would be great.

The only thing I do that I can say is a standard in my process is to create all of the rooms and connections so I can walk the entire map, even before any art is in.  This just helps set things up so that they can be adjusted later.  I'm sure a lot of people do this.  Sometimes I just load up a bunch of art and make a map for no reason beyond walking around from room to room.  It's very satisfying.

Slasher

Hi,

I myself have games that I have started yet never finished..I think a lot of us have..

Once I hit on a idea i really like then it's go go go....

I'm like an unstoppable train as ideas fill my head...

Sometimes I may even do the ending first....Then the beginning then work on the middle (bones)...

Filling in with ideas as I go along keeps it fresh....

If you can visualise something you can generally do it...

I may first decide on the rooms I want and create a map.....

What is the room (scene)?, has it a purpose and if so what?

Knowing this I can create puzzles etc...

My ingredients are: carry an idea forward with enthusiasm, drive and imagination without exception...

I mainly work off the seat of my pants which generally keeps it fresh as my mind flicks like a movie as I take inspiration from past memories and bring them to life just like Dr Frankenstein.....

If you can dream it you can do it...

There is always help should i need it.. People like Khris, Snarky and many many others have proved so valuable to me and I am thankful...

Never give up, never give in is my motto....

I'm 66 now... a bit slower and tire quicker but I am still going.

Good creating my friend...

Mouth for war

I'm in the same boat, I've thrown too many aborted games overboard to remember.
I keep attributing my own failures to complete games to the fact that my game designs are too ambitious

Sounds exactly like me :D I think I do have all the skills needed but after a while I begin to realise just how big of a project it actually is and burn myself out. I get the feeling Slasher mentioned "Once I hit on a idea i really like then it's go go go" That is also exactly like me but the enthusiasm dies out rather fast even though I know I might have something good going on!

Oh and @Slasher. It's awesome as hell that you are 66 and make games \m/ :D

Danvzare

My recommendation is to make sure you work on it every single day. It doesn't matter how little, just so long as you do something. Because even if all you do is add one character of text or one pixel to the art, you've gotten one step closer, and eventually you will complete it.
Also, I've learnt that action results in motivation, rather than the other way around. If you aren't motivated to work on something, but work on it anyway, you'll usually find that you'll become motivated as a result of working on it.
But those two things do require some amount of will power, a promise that you have to keep to yourself.

Slasher

i agree somewhat with Danvzare..

I usually decide in the morning what I hope to achieve by the close of day no matter how little...

If you can't excite yourself then what's the point?

Sometimes just thinking about something amuses me and so I add it to the list....

I find at times that working ad lib brings a sense of fulfillment when i am able to complete an idea..

I love comedy and I can always find the odd joke or two that cracks me up...

I never build games for others, but if they enjoy it so much the better..

We are like artists with brushes, paint and a blank canvas....Maybe we will create a masterpiece one day, who knows?

If it's for MAG then we have a time restriction so we need to manage our time very well on a daily basis..

In the past so many have attempted either to make a too complex a game or make a game too long....Then again we have seen some truly amazing games and the quality is getting really good..

Passion is paramount in my opinion...

Never give in, never give up....

Just my 2 cents  (nod)

Mouth for war

I'm not sure I completely agree. I do like the idea that doing something every day. But if I'm not motivated enough I'm afraid I might settle with stuff just to "get it over with". I think that one of my biggest problems is like this "Ok I want to make an rpg, open world style with a crapload of stuff to do" then I dive into it...making graphics, designing a background etc. But then it hits me "Ok what should it be about?" and I have no real idea and I just quit. The first version of my postapocalyptic game did have a story and I knew exactly what it was gonna be about....but I hadn't really learned that I should just finish the game from point A to B. Instead I immediately added mechanics, side quests, weapon/item crafting and stuff and burned myself out completely. Not gonna do that mistake again :D

Stupot

I’ve only really finished two adventure games and they were both tiny. But for those (and for the abandoned projects that got closest to completion) I had basically planned them all out in a notebook before I even opened up AGS.

Then I typed up pretty much the entire game as a walkthrough. And was able to stick pretty faithfully to those plans.

The main reason for my larger projects failing was that I fell out of love with them and lost motivation. So try to make something you really love and feel proud of.

Also, announcing the game too early is a kiss of death for me. Some people need the constant encouragement and keep uploading screenshots and updates. For me, once I’ve told more than a few people about the game, it is jinxed.

heltenjon

The important thing is probably to find your own way. If you're more introvert or the opposite will probably have a say in whether or not it will be productive to make devlogs or show steady progress in a forum. Positive feedback is most likely good for most people, though.

One thing that's not mentioned, is to get one or more testers before you're finished. Testing stuff yourself can be a drag, and when someone else does it, you get the opportunity to see if your leaps of logic works, if the story flows, and generally how the game looks from the outside. The tester will likely find bugs, too, or make suggestions for improvement. If you want to make the game alone, but wants the benefit of the brainstorm, a tester will do that for you.

dactylopus

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 11/10/2021 01:32:02
For me, once I’ve told more than a few people about the game, it is jinxed.

This is true for most projects in my experience!

Mouth for war

Quote from: Stupot on Mon 11/10/2021 01:32:02

Then I typed up pretty much the entire game as a walkthrough.

Also, announcing the game too early is a kiss of death for me. Some people need the constant encouragement and keep uploading screenshots and updates. For me, once I’ve told more than a few people about the game, it is jinxed.

The walkthrough thing is very interesting. I'm gonna think about that! And I couldn't agree more about the whole announcing the game part. I know EXACTLY what you mean!!!

@heltenjon I totally agree with having a tester! That is very helpful

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk