Peckham Valley "ABANDONED"

Started by Pax Animo, Sun 10/10/2021 04:06:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Pax Animo

Though the project has moved onto a different all round feel it's far from what i originally posted here so it wouldn't make sense to keep updating this production page.

A new project page will be created once the game moves into deeper development.
Misunderstood

Pogwizd

Hi Pax Animo,
Just wanted to say that your graphics look stunning.

I'm guessing that developing a well-balanced system for an RPG must be quite a head-scratch (I mean weapons, enemy stats etc.). 

All the best with the project. I'd love to play it when it's finished.

Pax Animo

Quote from: Pogwizd on Sun 10/10/2021 17:58:06
Hi Pax Animo,
Just wanted to say that your graphics look stunning.

I'm guessing that developing a well-balanced system for an RPG must be quite a head-scratch (I mean weapons, enemy stats etc.). 

All the best with the project. I'd love to play it when it's finished.

Hey Pogwizd,

With little knowledge in scripting (only what I've picked up since using AGS) the development of the characters and all that comes with them while trying to build a simple but effective combat system has indeed been a head-scratch and continues to be so.

I'm really enjoying this project so hopefully you do get to play it at some point.  ;)

Misunderstood

Pax Animo

Greetings.

I'd like to introduce a few of the many characters which reside in and around Peckham 1503.

Screenshot removed.

(screenshots updated. 24/07/22)
Misunderstood

Pax Animo

Passing by a local farm.

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

Cassiebsg

Graphics look stunning!  (nod)
My only "complain" would be that the characters seem to blend with the BG, maybe when they're animating they won't, but I had some difficulty locating the main character, and he also almost vanishes on the last one (but by now I knew what he looked like and didn't took me as long). All the rest... perfect!

Good luck with the project.  (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pax Animo

Quote from: Cassiebsg on Wed 20/10/2021 10:14:04
Graphics look stunning!  (nod)
My only "complain" would be that the characters seem to blend with the BG, maybe when they're animating they won't, but I had some difficulty locating the main character, and he also almost vanishes on the last one (but by now I knew what he looked like and didn't took me as long). All the rest... perfect!

Good luck with the project.  (nod)

Hi Cassiebsg,

Thankyou for your feedback and I'm glad you pointed out the issue with the characters.
This has been a constant issue which I'm exploring different ways to address the matter, with the characters from one creator and the backgrounds from another it was always going to be a problem.
Unfortunately I do not have a budget to replace all the characters or commission new ones so I'm going to have to come up with some tricks.

I'll try to come up with some samples of a few characters with colour/brightness adjustments, possibly even some kind of selected character aura, (playable character can be switched).

Oh and yes they do look a little better once animating but overall the blending needs addressing.
Misunderstood

Cassiebsg

Maybe just adjust gamma/contrast, to make colours a bit deeper would work? Just make sure to keep a backup of the original ones, in case you can't find a fix. Or maybe try the AGS features that allow to change character's hue and stuff in game (probably called light and tint)? That way you don't need to change the sprites, and can code some subtle colour change. I never used these, so no idea if they can serve the purpose. But worth a try (since it's easy to code and test) before changing the sprites.  ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Pax Animo

Just a quick snippet of how things look in motion, though the quality is poor and the stuttering isn't like that in game.
I have no experience in video editing or uploading, only just created a YouTube channel.  :-[

REMOVED

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

Pax Animo

Small update on character sprites, adjustments to fit in better with backgrounds.

Added an outline which is something I kind of wanted to avoid but maybe if it works.  :-\
Means redoing quite a few sprites but if it's worth it it shouldn't take too long.

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

Pax Animo

A quick snap from the game intro. (work in progress)

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

negator2vc

Amazing graphics! Love the side view which personally I prefer
both as player and developer (allows for reusable assets between scenes leading to easy expanded game world)
Very interesting choice for player character. Will be following your progress.
Your game will be only rpg or will it also contain some adventure game elements?

Pax Animo

Hi negator2vc,

Firstly, thank you for your support.

I'm finding developing the game in the style as you mentioned very comfortable. Mixing and matching the assets I have available for new locations to increase the game world.
I have quite a few assets which are not yet featured.

As for your question regarding having adventure elements in the game I'm fairly certain it naturally will have. Are there any adventure elements you particularly had in mind?
Misunderstood

negator2vc

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 01/11/2021 12:56:16
As for your question regarding having adventure elements in the game I'm fairly certain it naturally will have. Are there any adventure elements you particularly had in mind?
I am referring to situations that allow to you to "solve" things without kicking enemies' asses  :wink:
For example using items or dialog choices for alternative ways to progress the story.
Similar to for ex. Quest for Glory games (adventure-rpg) or to other more current games using similar mechanics (for ex. Heroine's Quest).

Pax Animo

Greetings.

11/21 Devlog available.  https://pax-animo.itch.io/pecham-1503/devlog/318371/november-updates

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

Pax Animo

Quote from: negator2vc on Mon 08/11/2021 20:49:30
Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 01/11/2021 12:56:16
I am referring to situations that allow to you to "solve" things without kicking enemies' asses  :wink:
For example using items or dialog choices for alternative ways to progress the story.
Similar to for ex. Quest for Glory games (adventure-rpg) or to other more current games using similar mechanics (for ex. Heroine's Quest).

Hey negator2vc, I'll be honest, I didn't even know about the game "Heroine's Quest" until you mentioned it which is terrible on my behalf as it's a wonderful game.
I've spent this months free time playing Heroine's Quest and similar games, looking for inspiration.

Peckham 1503 will certainly have optional game paths "dialogue or otherwise" 
Spoiler
(There will be an optional hack n slash area) Which grows stronger as you progress. Generally most main story combat encounters will have purpose rather than mindless violence.
[close]

One stand out feature compared to similar games mentioned is the pacing in Peckham 1503 will be much faster, not as much blocking or long dialogues. Game pace is very important for my current development as new features will be introduced.
Spoiler
such as speed runs* will be introduced.
[close]

I hope for combat in Peckham 1503 to be more fluid than the games mentioned but I'm not going to lie it's currently a tricky task which I'm on a daily basis trying to improve.

Misunderstood

kconan

Background and characters look awesome.  I've seen that Eddie character in a graphics pack, which I almost bought for a game I'm working on.

Not too many AGS side-scrollers, sounds like a fun challenge!

negator2vc

Quote from: Pax Animo on Mon 29/11/2021 00:56:17
Peckham 1503 will certainly have optional game paths "dialogue or otherwise" 
Spoiler
(There will be an optional hack n slash area) Which grows stronger as you progress. Generally most main story combat encounters will have purpose rather than mindless violence.
[close]
Hi,
These optional game paths you refer are side quests of some sort? Right? Not main story?
The main story encounters are only combat or you can use other way to overcome them or avoid them?
To use Quest for Glory games as example [actually QfG 1] you can either attack an enemy fortress directly [combat] or enter the fortress by as secret
passage you learned about [use item + info] avoiding the combat. Both solutions lead to same place - fortress gate.

Pax Animo

Greetings.

After taking a few weeks away from this project to participate in this months MAGS, I am now back in action.
Working towards adding a loot table and overall a better inventory system.

Screenshot removed.

Misunderstood

Pax Animo

Further update on development coming soonish.

Update: 16/07/22,
The game remains in production and holds many of the same mechanics plus my ideas from the original game at the time of first posting.
The big change will be to the graphics, which will be isometric and mostly from one creator.
Misunderstood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk