The Secret of Monkey Island RECODED

Started by sthomannch, Sun 10/10/2021 14:00:36

Previous topic - Next topic

sthomannch

Seems I am a bit stuck. Solved 2 of 3 tasks that the very important pirates gave me. Up to here good progress but now I go in circles
Spoiler

Found the treasure, just a stupid ticket
[close]
Spoiler

Got the idol from the governor's mansion
[close]
Spoiler

Have some training and a light sabre but this is obviously not enough
[close]
The list of items
Spoiler

chalice, vase, mega tools, stupid tickets ("-D-"), tickets for the circus, pot, bronze key, silver key, gold key, feather, gopher repellent, flaute with instructions, wax lips, light sabre, idol, love letter
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 10/10/2021 14:00:36
Seems I am a bit stuck. Solved 2 of 3 tasks that the very important pirates gave me. Up to here good progress but now I go in circles
Spoiler

Have some training and a light sabre but this is obviously not enough
[close]
The list of items
Spoiler

chalice, vase, mega tools, stupid tickets ("-D-"), tickets for the circus, pot, bronze key, silver key, gold key, feather, gopher repellent, flaute with instructions, wax lips, light sabre, idol, love letter
[close]
Help with the sword fight:
Spoiler
You need to find some ink to dip your feather in.
[close]
Spoiler
The ink is in the room where you found the idol.
[close]
Spoiler
You need to fix the grades you got from training.
[close]
Spoiler
If you have found Carla and she doesn't want to fight you, you need to get the newspaper to write about you.
[close]
Spoiler
The love letter could be dynamite.
[close]
Spoiler
Add names to the love letter and give it to the journalist. In return, he'll write about Guybrush, too.
[close]

Hope this helps...I'm not sure where exactly you may be stuck, so try the first hints first.

sthomannch

Got the
Spoiler

ink and used it on the letter, at least the name "Elane" (Elaine) is in
[close]
Spoiler

I have no grades from training even though I trained - with Smirk sleeping while I used his gym
[close]
Spoiler

Have not found neither Carla nor the journalist
[close]
Spoiler

Perhaps I need bananas to distract the monkey in Smirk's house?
[close]
But thank you very much for the hints

sthomannch

Got a bit further
Spoiler

Using one of the keys on a closed door in the alley I got the rubber chicken and banana
[close]

heltenjon

You should have what you need now. The journalist is located
Spoiler
in a window in the street with the clock and the voodoo store.
[close]

sthomannch

Right, saw it at the very beginning but overlooked it later. Now
Spoiler

on Monkey Island with bananas, oars, banana plucker and a lot of other stuff from before. Trying to get underground.
Just started the journey on the island...
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: sthomannch on Sun 10/10/2021 17:08:26
Right, saw it at the very beginning but overlooked it later. Now
Spoiler

on Monkey Island with bananas, oars, banana plucker and a lot of other stuff from before. Trying to get underground.
Just started the journey on the island...
[close]

It's quite easy to overlook a hotspot/location on the map. The locations on Monkey Island are as follows:
Spoiler
Beach, Pool, Clearing, View, Fort, (Second) Beach, River, Village
[close]

EDIT: I think from what you write that you have already been to all these locations and just need to do one thing to get where you want.
Spoiler
Is the gate shut? There is a hidden hotspot.
[close]
Spoiler
Look for it on the totem poles.
[close]
Spoiler
But it doesn't work properly.
[close]

SarahLiz

I am completely stuck, and I'm just getting started (sadly):

Spoiler
  I've talked to the Important Pirates, gotten the 3 Tasks, walked around & picked up anything possible so far on Melee Island, but I'm at a standstill.  I know I am supposed to get into the kitchen so I can get the meat, fish, and pot, but the cook stops me.  In the original game, he walks off and then you can enter, but not here.  The game says to try to enter another way, so I went back to the beach (thinking I could swim or walk around to the back of the Scumm Bar) but I can't do anything.

Help please!  I feel so silly for already asking, but I need it...
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: SarahLiz on Sun 10/10/2021 23:42:41
I am completely stuck, and I'm just getting started (sadly):

Spoiler
  I've talked to the Important Pirates, gotten the 3 Tasks, walked around & picked up anything possible so far on Melee Island, but I'm at a standstill.  I know I am supposed to get into the kitchen so I can get the meat, fish, and pot, but the cook stops me.  In the original game, he walks off and then you can enter, but not here.  The game says to try to enter another way, so I went back to the beach (thinking I could swim or walk around to the back of the Scumm Bar) but I can't do anything.

Help please!  I feel so silly for already asking, but I need it...
[close]

I got stuck there too!

Spoiler
did you find the ladder on the dock?
[close]

sthomannch

The alternative way
Spoiler

The ladder leads down to the seafloor from which you can walk to the back and right, behind the ladder. Not easy to spot.
[close]
About the fish
Spoiler

You must revive it, fishbone to fish - you have met the Voodoo lady already, right?
[close]

SarahLiz

Thanks guys!  However:

Spoiler
  The voodoo lady is not appearing.  I did get into the kitchen to get the grease, but the circus is not available to me to use the pot.  What do I give the troll?  Where is the map guy & the dudes with the rat?  Why isn't Otis in the jail?  ;)

Obviously things are different in this game from the original (which I like!) but I seem to be terrible at it, lol. 
[close]

heltenjon

Quote from: SarahLiz on Wed 13/10/2021 00:49:20
Thanks guys!  However:

Spoiler
  The voodoo lady is not appearing.  I did get into the kitchen to get the grease, but the circus is not available to me to use the pot.  What do I give the troll?  Where is the map guy & the dudes with the rat?  Why isn't Otis in the jail?  ;)

Obviously things are different in this game from the original (which I like!) but I seem to be terrible at it, lol. 
[close]

A walkthrough for the original game is of no use here. This is a new story...kind of "what could have happened". Thus most of these questions doesn't make any sense.

Voodoo lady:
Spoiler
She will appear at set times. First time after you find something magical.
[close]
Spoiler
You need to solve a puzzle at the fork in the road first.
[close]
Spoiler
You need to cross the chasm.
[close]

Circus:
Spoiler
The circus won't be available to you until a later chapter. But there is something to be found at this location!
[close]

Troll:
Spoiler
You need to do the things I mentioned above first.
[close]
Spoiler
The Voodoo Lady will give you a magical flute.
[close]
Spoiler
You need to use one of the spells from the flute on something before giving it to the troll.
[close]
Spoiler
Listen to what the troll wants. There is an expression used about adventure games, meaning a false lead.
[close]
Full solution to the problem:
Spoiler
Use the flute on the fish bones outside the kitchen. Give the red herring to the troll.
[close]

Map guy, dudes with rat, Otis in jail:
Spoiler
Play the original game for that.
[close]

Shadow1000

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 13/10/2021 02:50:29

A walkthrough for the original game is of no use here. This is a new story...kind of "what could have happened". Thus most of these questions doesn't make any sense.

I posted a video walkthrough for this game in the announcement page. It was helpful to me when I played.

SarahLiz

heltonjonâ€"I understand now…I don’t think I realized how much different this game would be from the original.  Thanks for posting answers to all my silly questions.  ;)

Shadow1000â€"awesome, thanks for posting that!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk