Spider Trek

Started by MacShift, Tue 12/10/2021 19:50:47

Previous topic - Next topic

MacShift

https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/2571-spider-trek/

You may be a fearsome predator in your own right, but you're not at the top of the food chain in this short text-based "choose your own adventure" style game.

Play as an oddly sophisticated jumping spider who has decided to leave his comfy boombox home in a child's mid-1990s bedroom to see the world outside.  With 12 unique deaths to discover and three paths to victory, you'll come across many dated references, from the well-known to the (possibly) obscure! 

This, my first game ever, was originally an entry for an event held on RPGMaker.net, in which developers had two weeks to make a game that would fit on a 1.44 MB disc.  I have polished it since then, and added more art.  I hope it provides just the right amount of cheese to elicit a chuckle, from anyone who likes "choose your own adventures", the '90s, and/or spiders.

heltenjon

Nice short CYOA game with good writing and plenty of variation. And if you hate spiders, you can just choose the paths that leads to death.  (laugh)

MacShift

QuoteAnd if you hate spiders, you can just choose the paths that leads to death. 

Hey, that's a pretty neat hook!   :-D

I'm glad that you enjoyed the game.  Thanks for playing!

Tampere

Played it: tiny and cute CYOA, nice art and narrated well. Keep gamemaking!

MacShift

Thank you!  I really appreciate the encouragement!

Kastchey

What a charming experience! Great art and beautiful writing. It's nice that the story goes back to the last choice after you die, this way I can just enjoy the writing without the tedious clicking or saving/loading all the time. Or even pick an obviously wrong choice just to see what the text is, knowing I can just pick the other option right after. Very well done!

selmiak

this is fun, is successfully evaded the vacuum cleaner but died a few times along the way no matter what, but I made it!  ;-D

MacShift

Thank you for your kind words, Kastchey.  I was worried my prose might stray too far into the "purple" so it's a relief to hear that it isn't a tedious read!

selmiak, I'm glad you enjoyed the game!  I know some of the deaths were pretty inane; I just couldn't help myself!  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk