World history quiz thread

Started by milkanannan, Sat 07/10/2017 05:13:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Sinitrena

Well, Caligula (and Suetonius, who told the story) didn't exactly speak English, so... It is a word, just not an English one.

Spoiler

I N _ _ T A T _ S
[close]

It means agitated or moving fast or at full gallop.

milkanannan

I just meant is it an actual word in any language, or is it just a clustering of random phonetics. (You answered that, thank you.)

Lol I can’t think of anything that fits! Hangman difficulty setting: suicide. (laugh)

I’m throwing in the towel. Can anyone else fill in the blanks?

heltenjon

Let's guess, then. Inextatis? ("In ecstacy"?)  :P

Sinitrena

Lol, no. Not a single letter is entirely correct, though one is in the wrong position. It's supposed to be here:

Spoiler

I N _ I T A T _ S
[close]

Reiter

Incitatis, by chance?

A wild shot in the dark, because while I am familiar with the story, I have failed to note the consul-candidate's name. Frankly, he could hardly have done worse than other consuls. He would no doubt stimulate the growth of oats estates, for one.

Good quiz, mind!

Sinitrena

So close, yet so far away.

I N C I T A T _ S

I would go for a more Latin ending.

It feels like I'm being a bit petty. Maybe I should have given the win to heltenjon. But now it's just one letter still missing. I'm sure someone can guess it.

milkanannan

Sinitrena

Yes, finally.

Incitatus was indeed Caligula's horse with an illustrous political career. Supposedly, the horse also had a stable of marble, an ivory manger and other luxories. Of course, how much of this is true is debatable and even if it is true, it was probably a way to make fun of the senate and not the idea that the horse was actually qualified for political office.

Your turn, milkanannan.

milkanannan

Quote from: Sinitrena on Wed 13/10/2021 05:45:49
Yes, finally.

(laugh)

Ok I’m terrible at coming up with good questions, so here’s some low hanging fruit for anyone that wants to jump in:

In the 1970s, a complex series of events led to the British Crown, acting through its Governor General, to pluck the sitting Prime Minister of a large commonwealth country. Name that country. (Bonus points in you can name the Prime Minister!)

milkanannan

I don't want this to linger and delay the thread, so the PM was Gough Whitlam. Can anyone name the country...? :=

Cassiebsg

I googled it, just out of curiosity. Would never have guessed it though.

It is a real word, but in latin of course.  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Mandle

Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 15/10/2021 17:00:49
I don't want this to linger and delay the thread, so the PM was Gough Whitlam. Can anyone name the country...? :=

Awwww, I could have gotten this one without the clue. There was a miniseries about it called The Dismissal. Australia of course.

milkanannan

Quote from: Mandle on Mon 18/10/2021 04:36:59
Quote from: milkanannan on Fri 15/10/2021 17:00:49

Awwww, I could have gotten this one without the clue. There was a miniseries about it called The Dismissal. Australia of course.

Was wondering when you’d jump in! (laugh) Alright your go!

Mandle

What was the name of the Australian Prime Minister who went missing while in office and was never found? How did he disappear? What place in Melbourne is ironically named after him?

No Googling, please.

lorenzo

I think the place is called Hanging Rock. The PM was Mr. Picnic. If I remember correctly, he disappeared on a school trip.

Mandle

Quote from: lorenzo on Fri 22/10/2021 09:30:10
I think the place is called Hanging Rock. The PM was Mr. Picnic. If I remember correctly, he disappeared on a school trip.

Hahaha! Great movie! Scared the hell out of me as a kid as I thought it was a true story.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk