Windows 11

Started by Slasher, Fri 22/10/2021 15:50:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Slasher

i recently purchased a new computer..

I keep being asked if I want to upgrade to Windows 11..

What do you guys think?

Cheers

selmiak

Blondbraid

Quote from: Slasher on Fri 22/10/2021 15:50:02
i recently purchased a new computer..

I keep being asked if I want to upgrade to Windows 11..

What do you guys think?

Cheers
I'm in a similar situation, I'd like to know more about the difference from Windows 10 before upgrading.

Darth Mandarb

Windows 10 is solid (has passed XP as my favorite Windows version) so I wouldn't update to 11 just yet.

My method is to wait a few months (even a year) into an OS version's life-cycle before I pull the trigger and upgrade.

That way the bugs/kinks are worked out before I start using it and then I don't have to deal with all the frustrations (drivers, patches, security leaks, etc).

Quote from: selmiak on Mon 25/10/2021 16:32:15use linux!

In an ideal world...

I would love to make that jump but I have too much software that still doesn't play nice with linux and I have to jump through too many hoops to get everything working.

Just isn't worth the hassle!

It gets better every year though so I figure when I retire professionally it might be ready :D

Danvzare

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 28/10/2021 20:15:03
Windows 10 is solid (has passed XP as my favorite Windows version) so I wouldn't update to 11 just yet.

My method is to wait a few months (even a year) into an OS version's life-cycle before I pull the trigger and upgrade.

That way the bugs/kinks are worked out before I start using it and then I don't have to deal with all the frustrations (drivers, patches, security leaks, etc).
I'm generally the same. Although to be honest, I really don't know much about 11 at all.
The most I've heard is that it's basically just 10 with a different coat of paint, but I honestly don't know how true that is.

FanOfHumor

Its too bad windows xp couldn't work better like windows 10. because windows xp had great user interface.It was  easy to find everything. windows 11 and 10 have so many runabouts to find what you want.I myself prefer windows 8.1 with the classic shell installed.But still theres alot of runabouts. and im sure that windows 11 is going to be even harder to find things.

justincoates

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 28/10/2021 20:15:03

Absolutely agree with you! You need to wait at least a year and give others the opportunity to test the new product))), although there are still a lot of pluses here, and the updated version looks really better than a dozen. But personally, I'll wait
Music is everything to me, only sometimes I stop listening to music while I am writing your paper.

cipberbloom

Just got a new computer too (after my Razer's battery nearly exploded). So the new machine was meant to come with Windows 10, but I got 11.

I've never liked 10... total mess.

11, however, is really awesome thus far. It doesn't appear to have any of the sloppy, irritating, and inconsistent concealment of what you know is underneath like 10 and even 7 did.

There are some 'features' which require being constantly 'jacked in', but there's no mystery in turning that sh*t off, unlike 10. MS is definitely trying to mimic MacOS with 11 in its tidy layout, but, to my delight, without strangling you. With MacOS you really have to be invested (not talking money) and super-cautious about updating (regretting Monterey due to its freaky strictures, like, can't even type a path in the location bar).

Am about to test AGS on 11 this week.

Hope that helps.  :)

eri0o

I seem to remember in one thread Khris mentioned he tried AGS on Windows 11 and it worked, but I thought it was this thread... So not sure where I read it.

Khris

I don't think I did because I was never afraid AGS might not work on Windows 11. :)
Microsoft does in fact take great care to ensure backwards compatibility in general.

There is a thread about the end of Win10 here: https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=59228.0

Also yes, Windows 11 is pretty great so far. Only the "recommended" list in the start menu is still completely useless unless your only concept of a file system is a list of recent documents (which apparently is the case for lots of people though :P)

Danvzare

Quote from: Skeevy Wonder on Tue 22/02/2022 18:31:04
There are some 'features' which require being constantly 'jacked in', but there's no mystery in turning that sh*t off, unlike 10. MS is definitely trying to mimic MacOS with 11 in its tidy layout, but, to my delight, without strangling you. With MacOS you really have to be invested (not talking money) and super-cautious about updating (regretting Monterey due to its freaky strictures, like, can't even type a path in the location bar).
Hmm, it sounds like Windows 11 might be a solid improvement. I didn't expect that.
I personally don't like the sound of mimicking MacOS, but it's certainly better than mimicking Android (I'm looking at you Windows 8).

Thanks for the description.  :-D

Stupot

I also recently bought a new laptop with Windows 11 after my last one died. No problems with it so far.

Andersk

I'm glad everyone is having an ok time with Windows 11. As long as it can run my adventure games, AGS, and other engines then I'm fine to upgrade!

My wife has Windows 11 on her PC and she pretty much is loving it. My PC is still running Windows 10. I'm probably going to wait awhile, too. Bugs, updates, all that jazz. ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk